Shane McConkey

I saw the first thread on TGR when it started...I was trying to see any details and hoping this was just a stupid rumour.

RIP Shane. :(

Agree 100% with both of James' comments. The videos I've seen of ski-BASE usually the skis stay on. Though the famous Rick Sylvester jump off Baffin Island in the opening of The Spy Who Loved Me the skis come off and you can see one of them hit and bounce off (instead of tear through!) the open parachute. I've seen just a couple of wing-suit videos, quite scary and obviously skis can't be on for that.

I can totally relate to James' reference about the reverse camber skis. I've known ever since I was skiing on the Chubbs that more sidecut makes variable soft snow conditions more difficult. Shane's descriptions of how the skis work in powder fit my modest experience exactly.

But yes, after Coombs, it's quite depressing. :( :( :(

Tony Crocker":336zlj31 said:
But yes, after Coombs, it's quite depressing. :( :( :(

Not to minimize other deads, but Shane (and Doug)'s passing each left one young child and wife. They are in a better place, but this is really hard for those they left behind. :( :( :(

Doug was in his 40s and Shane was 39, I didn't realize that Shane was almost my age. Defintely a more exciting (and dangerous) way to live.

As for Doug's dead, there seem to be a move for a fundraiser for Shane's family on TGR. I would encourage people to look it up and maybe contribute.

Patrick":3r4mjaoa said:
Doug was in his 40s and Shane was 39, I didn't realize that Shane was almost my age. Defintely a more exciting (and dangerous) way to live.

Not so shure of that Pat! We're killing ourselves`sitting on our ass and looking at this fffff computer all day. ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

I mean not disrespect to Shane M., Doug C. or even Alan Lowe, but when you start a family, I really think that it is time to ratchet back the risk. We always hear the cliché that "he died what he loved doing", but the fact is that you are dead, and your children and wife will spend the rest of their lives without you. My wife's family come from a long line JHWY based mountaineers and they all had to make a decision after having children that certain risks (although calculated and well planned) are too great when others rely on you being on this earth. It did not mean that they had to quit climbing, but maybe new routes in the record books should be left for other climbers, etc. This is all very sad news about Shane, on the heels of Doug and so many others. This is the question that all mountaineers, base jumpers, ski divers, etc. need to address when dependents enter the picture. A good read on this topic is "High on a Ridge Between Life and Death" by Dave Roberts.

Just my views.........

VAIL, Colo. — Legendary skier and former Vail, Colo. resident Shane McConkey died Thursday in a ski accident in Italy.

He was 39.

McConkey was attempting a cliff jump in the Italian Dolomites in which he was to release his skis and then use a “wing suit” and parachute to fly through the air, according to news reports. McConkey was a pioneer of these so-called ski BASE jumps.

One of the skis did not release, and McConkey was unable to deploy his parachute, ESPN reported.

McConkey starred in numerous ski films as both a big-mountain skier and a ski-BASE jumper. He also won several national and international skiing competitions, including the X Games and World Extreme Skiing Championships.

The Olympic Valley, Calif., resident is survived by his wife and young daughter.
McConkey lived in the Vail area for several years in the early ’90s, competing on the Pro Mogul Tour and delivering pizzas for Domino’s.

Eagle-Vail resident Kari Corbin, who was his roommate then, said McConkey always just wanted to find a way to get paid for skiing.

“He died doing something he loved,” she said. “He loved to ski.”

Despite his amazing exploits, McConkey always seemed humble, she said.

“Shane didn’t think he was too cool for school,” Corbin said. “He never thought he was above everybody else. As far as I’m concerned, he probably was. With skiing, and with everything.”

Lifty@50":2e5mykx7 said:
We always hear the cliché that "he died what he loved doing", but the fact is that you are dead, and your children and wife will spend the rest of their lives without you.
Agreed. That is one of the lamest, most overused, and meaningless bromides ever.

Extensive tribute section is in the first issue of Powder, just out this week, titled "Most Influential Skier Ever." Perhaps a bit hyperbolic, but to me personally, with my powder skiing experience before and after the fat ski revolution, I wouldn't be the one to argue with it.

Shane was a friend and brother to many of us. He was the consummate jokester and a huge pioneer in many things, not just skiing and flying. He was at the forefront of the ski revolution in the mid 1990's-2000's,in and around Squaw Valley, which were exciting times. Once I saw him on a big powder day skiing on Waterskis. His passing has only reinforced me to live each day to it's fullest, don't get caught up in the BS, and have a good time. Thank you Shane!

Once again I was one of those who nominated Shane for NASJA's Lifetime Achievement Award, and once again he did not win. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Nice job, Patrick.

Tony Crocker":2fjl2icl said:
Once again I was one of those who nominated Shane for NASJA's Lifetime Achievement Award, and once again he did not win. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Nice job, Patrick.

Thanks.

Nice job Tony, fortunately he was honored at the US Ski Hall of Fame. Canada Ski Hall and Museum are facing under challenges now, so we'll see afterward. I'll try post something in the next few weeks.

Greg and company at FIS celebrated Shane Day.

http://www.famousinternetskiers.com/shane-day-2011/

That's an interesting way to celebrate Shane Day. Hard core to do it in powder, but it might catch on when March 26 is a sunny day. :lol:

Back