Western Weather 2010-14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Marc_C":2oe0jtue said:
kingslug":2oe0jtue said:
...man I couldn't have timed this better...
Weren't you the one freaking out about the Utah weather forecast a couple of weeks ago?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

He's lucky that Crocker and I couldn't be there at the same time, he would've been horribly vexed.

Tony Crocker":1ot2dx3l said:
I'm quite happy where I spent the last half of January 2011 skiing, thank you very much! :mrgreen:
But if you had gone to Utah everyone would be blaming you for their fairly dry January.

rfarren":34z6q2jn said:
Marc_C":34z6q2jn said:
kingslug":34z6q2jn said:
...man I couldn't have timed this better...
Weren't you the one freaking out about the Utah weather forecast a couple of weeks ago?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Why yes, it was him:

http://www.firsttracksonline.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9355&p=58452#p58452
Postby kingslug » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:50 pm
Now I'm getting worried...10 days to go.....got all my stuff..hotel booked, car booked...just ...need...snow

http://www.firsttracksonline.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9355&p=58476#p58476
Postby kingslug » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:28 pm
If this doesn't get better..I might have to reschedule..have to take the avi class but might bail on the rest...stiill time to hope though and the weather report looks good for the next few days...

http://www.firsttracksonline.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9355&p=58509#p58509
Postby kingslug » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:21 am
So in other words...no pow for the end of Jan...never know though...can only hope...

Clearly demonstrating the fallacy of paying attention to and getting worked up over (to the point of considering changing plans) long range forecasts.

So..things changed and worked out for the best..who cares about what I thought would happen..except I guess..you...

kingslug":22k3d1eu said:
So..things changed and worked out for the best..who cares about what I thought would happen..except I guess..you...

Nah, just understand that it's not just you. Most of us here are tired of folks gnashing their teeth and sweating "lousy" conditions when 95% of the time they're better than where they're coming from anyway. Sometimes there's no convincing anyone that conditions are rather good when they're convinced ahead of time that they're lousy.

FYI, another 6-10" tomorrow.

Admin":1qb2onf0 said:
Most of us here are tired of folks gnashing their teeth and sweating "lousy" conditions when 95% of the time they're better than where they're coming from anyway.
To me, it's all the bogus fallacies like:
1) the 10 day/2 week forecast looks bad, or
2) It never snows in (...fill in the blank, Utah, Vermont, etc.) between say, the third Tuesday in January and the first Wednesday in February.
Yet people continue to believe in BS like that. Hopefully this thread has served a useful educational purpose and we will hear fewer of these laments in the future.

SNowed like crazy sunday into monday...snowed like crazy yesterday into today.....going to keep on snowing the next half of the week.....guess it snows a lot round here... :mrgreen:

kingslug":zcqdb0xo said:
SNowed like crazy sunday into monday...snowed like crazy yesterday into today.....going to keep on snowing the next half of the week.....guess it snows a lot round here... :mrgreen:
Just not when I'm there, but that's okay, I like it just fine either way.

rfarren":wk9llv67 said:
kingslug":wk9llv67 said:
You're never here long enough.

Marc_C":3dch2z5n said:
rfarren":3dch2z5n said:
kingslug":3dch2z5n said:
You're never here long enough.
I know I almost always miss a storm 1 to 2 days on either side. That may be the reason for my luck with Colorado. I'm always there for at least 7 days (Friend has free place and it's our bonding week.)

I'm getting ready to head out to Co next week. Will be based in Vail, but plan to be high plains drifters if there's big snow to be had in a particular area. What are your favorite sites to monitor the 7-10 day weather outlook for CO, UT, and WY?

yak":109hoxzc said:
What are your favorite sites to monitor the 7-10 day weather outlook for CO, UT, and WY?
As has been pointed out in quite a few threads, 7-10 day forecasts are about as reliable and useful as asking your cat.

Marc_C":2mn0um0w said:
yak":2mn0um0w said:
What are your favorite sites to monitor the 7-10 day weather outlook for CO, UT, and WY?
As has been pointed out in quite a few threads, 7-10 day forecasts are about as reliable and useful as asking your cat.

I'm looking for a good site that shows storms developing over the pacific (for what that is worth)

I know there's lots of talk about some snow in the Bay Area but down here in LA we've got some low snow levels look at LOX's discussion:

SNOW LEVELS WILL START OUT AROUND 3500 FEET EARLY FRIDAY BUT RISE
QUICKLY DURING THE DAY AHEAD OF THE FRONT TO 5000 FEET OR HIGHER.
WITH THE FRONTAL PASSAGE FRIDAY EVENING NORTH OF PT CONCEPTION AND
LATE FRIDAY NIGHT OR EARLY SATURDAY ACROSS LA COUNTIES, SNOW LEVELS
WILL BE FALLING RAPIDLY. HOWEVER, WITH THE BULK OF THE MOISTURE
PASSING THROUGH WITH THE FRONT, THERE MAY NOT BE A LOT LEFT TO
GENERATE ACCUMULATING SNOW MUCH BELOW ABOUT 2500 FEET. SHOWER AND
POSSIBLE CONVECTIVE ACTIVITY SATURDAY COULD RESULT IN SNOW FLAKES
REACHING THE SURFACE AS LOW AS 500 FEET
, BUT IT`S UNLIKELY TO
ACCUMULATE AT THAT LEVEL. FOR THIS REASON THE WINTER STORM WATCHES
HAVE BEEN MODIFIED SOMEWHAT. THE BIGGEST ADJUSTMENT WAS TO CANCEL
THE WINTER STORM WATCH FOR THE SANTA MONICA MOUNTAINS. WHILE A
COUPLE OF INCHES ACCUMULATION ARE LIKELY AT THE HIGHER PEAKS AND
WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY MAY WELL BE NEEDED SATURDAY,

Here's the point forecast for the top of the run I like to do which is right by my house. Too bad we can't get a couple feet up there, the terrain would actually be great for skiing...
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClic...92&site=lox&smap=1&unit=0&lg=en&FcstType=text

26" new here at Big Pines across from Mt. High West, at 7k ft...... Still dumping right now!

p.s. and it's light stuff, too. (sucks to be at work) :-(

east_big.jpg

Andrew reported sleet with slush residue on the ground in downtown Burbank when he went to the movies Saturday night. :shock:

I know its just about April but I could definitely do without the 9k ft snow levels this weekend when the precipitation comes to in, just saying. Staying up at Solitude this weekend so hoping they err'd on the high side and that the timing of the cold front comes in a little early rather than later like they're forecasting now.

On a completly weather unrelated note, I should have a cool picture to share on Saturday night too (hint it involves a woman, a ring , and the top of a mountain :-$ ).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back