Western Weather 2010-14

Status
Not open for further replies.
\:D/ Good luck!!! Of course you'll hear "yes."

(I'll spare you my institutional comments about marriage. :-$ )

If the current forecast bears out, we'll get some rain below 9,000 feet initially in Utah, but the snowfall should more than bury any damage.

Admin":2if0b1c2 said:
\:D/ Good luck!!! Of course you'll hear "yes."

Thanks.

Admin":2if0b1c2 said:
If the current forecast bears out, we'll get some rain below 9,000 feet initially in Utah, but the snowfall should more than bury any damage.

Will it be enough to bury the refrozen snow after the warm up this week? NWS thinks about an inch of water so I'm thinking it might be; just depends on the timing of the cold front I guess.

socal":2109a4gg said:
Will it be enough to bury the refrozen snow after the warm up this week? NWS thinks about an inch of water so I'm thinking it might be; just depends on the timing of the cold front I guess.

I'm expecting a legitimate powder day on Sunday. Should worse come to worst on Sunday you could just sleep in a bit. :wink:

Admin":26rj8n2z said:
socal":26rj8n2z said:

I'm expecting a legitimate powder day on Sunday. Should worse come to worst on Sunday you could just sleep in a bit. :wink:

I appreciate the optimism.

An interesting comment on current conditions from today's avi bulletin for the Wasatch:
As far as turning conditions, my mother always taught me that if I didn't have anything good to say about someone, don't say anything at all. So I shall remanin silent about the heinous, breakable rime crust above 10,000' and the lurch-and-jerk glop and roller balls on all the other slopes. Snowmobiles are probably the vehicle of choice today.

And here's the Alta 8500' weekend forecast:

Today: Sunny, with a high near 51. Southwest wind between 5 and 10 mph.

Tonight: Partly cloudy, with a temperature falling to near 34 by 9pm, then rising to around 50 during the remainder of the night. South southwest wind between 7 and 11 mph.

Saturday: Snow showers likely after noon. Some thunder is also possible. Cloudy, with a high near 52. Windy, with a south southwest wind 10 to 13 mph increasing to between 27 and 30 mph. Winds could gust as high as 44 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.

Saturday Night: Snow. Some thunder is also possible. Low around 15. Wind chill values as low as -2. Breezy, with a west southwest wind between 22 and 25 mph, with gusts as high as 39 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 10 to 14 inches possible.

Sunday: Snow. High near 23.
West wind between 10 and 13 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.

With the tropical temps today and tomorrow, with a minor refreeze if any tonight, followed by a plummet in temps Sat night/Sun, maybe we don't want that potential foot to be too light. We're gonna need a cushion.

After a little rain/sleet it's snowing hard in the village at Solitude at about 9pm. Hopefully this keeps up.

socal":2ly40v15 said:
After a little rain/sleet it's snowing hard in the village at Solitude at about 9pm. Hopefully this keeps up.
Unfortunately this morning's Alta forecast that called for 10"-16" overnight went to 4"-8" at 5pm.

Marc_C":269u8wkz said:
socal":269u8wkz said:
Unfortunately this morning's Alta forecast that called for 10"-16" overnight went to 4"-8" at 5pm.

And was a foot at 5 a.m. and still snowing! \:D/ When I left Alta around 8 p.m. what was falling had turned to snain after a brief downpour. Unfortunately power went out for all of Salt Lake City around 3 a.m. and by the time I got the road report around 5:40 a.m. I learned it was closing at 6, so no time to get up there before the closure. I'll be getting in line with everyone else this morning.

Power was restored shortly after 6 a.m. It was peculiar to look out the living room window across the Valley and see the whole place light up at once.

Admin":1sr6nrkz said:
Marc_C":1sr6nrkz said:
socal":1sr6nrkz said:

And was a foot at 5 a.m. and still snowing! \:D/ When I left Alta around 8 p.m. what was falling had turned to snain after a brief downpour. Unfortunately power went out for all of Salt Lake City around 3 a.m. and by the time I got the road report around 5:40 a.m. I learned it was closing at 6, so no time to get up there before the closure. I'll be getting in line with everyone else this morning.

Power was restored shortly after 6 a.m. It was peculiar to look out the living room window across the Valley and see the whole place light up at once.
So let us know how it was. My weekend didn't go exactly as planned.....

Admin":3u1hczae said:
I've got to work on my post from this weekend sometime this morning.
I thought I would do it, but the red-eye flight took it out of me. Yesterday, was darn good though! We also drove around SLC and the whole time my wife was talking about how cute some of the neighborhoods were.

rfarren":1nyzwu5y said:
Admin":1nyzwu5y said:
I've got to work on my post from this weekend sometime this morning.
I thought I would do it, but the red-eye flight took it out of me. Yesterday, was darn good though!

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9588

rfarren":1nyzwu5y said:
We also drove around SLC and the whole time my wife was talking about how cute some of the neighborhoods were.

Seems to me that you were one of the primary antagonists in that thread a year or two ago that railed against SLC as one of the prime examples of urban sprawl and soulless communities... :lol:

Admin":1b4lnxvg said:
rfarren":1b4lnxvg said:
We also drove around SLC and the whole time my wife was talking about how cute some of the neighborhoods were.

Seems to me that you were one of the primary antagonists in that thread a year or two ago that railed against SLC as one of the prime examples of urban sprawl and soulless communities... :lol:
You forgot to mention the strip malls and lack of authenticity.

Marc_C":217qgi78 said:
Admin":217qgi78 said:
rfarren":217qgi78 said:

You forgot to mention the strip malls and lack of authenticity.
What can I say, I was somewhat ignorant. I'm not in love with downtown slc, but the hoods due east and a bit south remind me very much of Bloomington. It certainly was nice. The other thing we both noticed was the independent nature of most of the shops. The only place that was overwhelmingly corporate was Olympic legacy plaza. Nikki felt with the snow in the valley that SLC looks like a painting from wasatch blvd.

Just saw the weather report for this week...holy crap...and I was originaly going to come out this week...but I guess I''ll see you all the week after...and hopefully the same weather report exists...

kingslug":kw1kvi6h said:
Just saw the weather report for this week...holy crap...and I was originaly going to come out this week...but I guess I''ll see you all the week after...and hopefully the same weather report exists...

Welcome to April in Utah.

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SALT LAKE CITY UT
257 PM MDT TUE APR 5 2011

UTZ001>016-019>021-517-518-WYZ021-061300-
CACHE VALLEY/UTAH PORTION-NORTHERN WASATCH FRONT-
SALT LAKE AND TOOELE VALLEYS-SOUTHERN WASATCH FRONT-
GREAT SALT LAKE DESERT AND MOUNTAINS-WASATCH MOUNTAIN VALLEYS-
WASATCH MOUNTAINS I-80 NORTH-WASATCH MOUNTAINS SOUTH OF I-80-
WESTERN UINTA MOUNTAINS-WASATCH PLATEAU/BOOK CLIFFS-
WESTERN UINTA BASIN-CASTLE COUNTRY-SAN RAFAEL SWELL-
SANPETE/SEVIER VALLEYS-WEST CENTRAL UTAH-SOUTHWEST UTAH-
UTAHS DIXIE AND ZION NATIONAL PARK-SOUTH CENTRAL UTAH-
GLEN CANYON RECREATION AREA/LAKE POWELL-CENTRAL MOUNTAINS-
SOUTHERN MOUNTAINS-SOUTHWEST WYOMING-
257 PM MDT TUE APR 5 2011

...COLD AND WET WEATHER INTO THE COMING WEEKEND...

CLOUDY...COLD AND WET CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED TOMORROW INTO THE
COMING WEEKEND ACROSS THE REGION. TEMPERATURES WILL BE 10 TO 20
DEGREES BELOW NORMAL DURING THIS TIME PERIOD...MAKING IT FEEL MORE
LIKE MID TO LATE FEBRUARY THAN EARLY APRIL.

A COLD FRONT WILL MOVE ACROSS NORTHERN UTAH TONIGHT...AND ACROSS
CENTRAL AND SOUTHERN UTAH TOMORROW. THIS WILL BRING THE FIRST
PERIOD OF WET WEATHER...WITH MAINLY RAIN IN THE VALLEYS AND LIGHT
TO MODERATE AMOUNTS OF MOUNTAIN SNOW.

TEMPERATURES WILL CONTINUE TO COOL THURSDAY WITH THE ARRIVAL OF A
SECOND COLD FRONT FROM THE WEST...WITH SNOW LEVELS FALLING TO THE
VALLEY FLOOR BEGINNING THURSDAY NIGHT. PERIODS OF SNOW...AT TIMES
MIXED WITH RAIN...WILL BE LIKELY IN THE VALLEYS BETWEEN THURSDAY
NIGHT AND SATURDAY. THE STORM SYSTEM WILL FINALLY PULL OUT OF THE
REGION SATURDAY NIGHT. SEVERAL FEET OF SNOWFALL CAN BE EXPECTED IN
THE MOUNTAINS.

LISTEN TO NOAA WEATHER RADIO OR YOUR LOCAL MEDIA FOR THE LATER
UPDATES ON THIS SITUATION...INCLUDING POTENTIAL WATCHES AND
WARNINGS.

Holy crap...another roud of massve pukage in store for you guys up to wednesday...and maybe beyond.....thursday can't come soon enough!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back