Return to our Home Page Latest Ski News - Resorts, Events, Equipment, World Cup and more Latest Snow Conditions from Around the World Ski Resort Feature Articles Ski and Snowboard Equipment Feature Articles Our Liftlines user forums A Ski Resort Map Covering All of North America User Downloads Search Our Site Free Ski News Subscriptions via RSS Our huge database of other ski and snowboard websites around the world Contact Us

2010-11 Ski-Day Count

Topics of a general nature regarding snowsports, which don't easily fit into one of our other Liftlines categories. This is also the place to post Letters to the Editor.

Re: 2010-11 Ski-Day Count

Postby Marc_C » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:07 pm

jamesdeluxe wrote:I have a question -- doesn't Alta usually close around the third week of April? I see that final day is May 1 this season. I always thought that USFS closing dates were more or less set in advance?

For the last several years, Alta has intentionally done a soft closing. Yes, they always "close" the third weekend of April, but that's really the end of daily operations. They've been adding a "bonus" Fri-Sun weekend in years that snow allows. This is because of the large closing day party. It had been increasing in size to the point where the SL County Sheriff's Office and SL Dept. of Water Quality began to take serious notice. In an effort to tone things down, two "closing days" were established. Maybe the thought was that it would confuse easily-confused skiers? I'm not sure how effective it's been, as everyone views the end of daily ops as the real closing day and not the bonus weekend. It seems the weather has more of an impact on the size of the party than anything else.

Yes, the USFS dates are set in advance, but it's probably after Alta's official closing date. Alta's date is determined mostly by amount of skier interest and a nomadic workforce, many of whom are river guides, ranch hands, climbing instructors/guides, etc. Spring is a difficult season here - so many activities overlap.
-marc
Marc_C

Postby Admin » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:12 pm

Best wishes for a speedy recovery, James!

jamesdeluxe wrote:I have a question -- doesn't Alta usually close around the third week of April? I see that final day is May 1 this season. I always thought that USFS closing dates were more or less set in advance?

That notion's a fallacy from what I understand to be the case at most (but not all) resorts on USFS land. In Alta's case as in most it depends largely on business conditions. It certainly isn't snowpack, especially this year.

Admin
Site Admin

Postby jamesdeluxe » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:42 pm

Admin wrote:Best wishes for a speedy recovery, James!
That notion's a fallacy from what I understand to be the case at most (but not all) resorts on USFS land. In Alta's case as in most it depends largely on business conditions. It certainly isn't snowpack, especially this year.

Thanks, Admin and Rob.

Funny how that perception about USFS lands having hard closing dates has, over the years, become conventional wisdom.
jamesdeluxe

Postby EMSC » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:37 pm

jamesdeluxe wrote:
Admin wrote:Best wishes for a speedy recovery, James!

Thanks, Admin and Rob.

Funny how that perception about USFS lands having hard closing dates has, over the years, become conventional wisdom.

I seem to recall a small handful of resorts with hard USFS closing dates due to certain wildlife birthing seasons/habitat involved or something like that. For no apparent reason, a handful of brain cells want to recall Steamboat as one of those... Though I could definitely be wrong since I can't imagine what animal would be special to that area/habitat that the Boat occupies.
EMSC

Postby Tony Crocker » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:06 pm

MarcC wrote:everyone views the end of daily ops as the real closing day and not the bonus weekend.

????? Not the administrator of FTO it seems. I had a few conversations with him about which was the "real" closing day in terms of Highboy celebration, parking lot BBQ's etc., and he was quite confident it was May 1 this year.

I had missed James' injury. As the timing of his Ski Day post was exactly the same as prior seasons, it gave me no clue. My suggestion was intended as constructive. Something around May 1 seems a reasonable compromise between those who ski to the bitter end or take to the backcountry vs. those who move on to spring pursuits as soon as the weather at home gets warm. I too would like this thread to move on beyond the inevitable too-early post followed by the inevitable potshots.

I am impressed that flyover was back on skis only one month after a combination of serious knee injuries.
http://bestsnow.net
Ski Records
Season length: 21 months, Nov. 29, 2010 - July 2, 2012
Days in one year: 80 from Nov. 29, 2010 - Nov. 17, 2011
Season vertical: 1,318K in 2010-11
Season powder: 291K in 2011-12
Tony Crocker

Postby jamesdeluxe » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:30 am

Tony Crocker wrote: Something around May 1 seems a reasonable compromise between those who ski to the bitter end or take to the backcountry vs. those who move on to spring pursuits as soon as the weather at home gets warm. I too would like this thread to move on beyond the inevitable too-early post followed by the inevitable potshots.

I realize that this has become a FTO standard rite of spring -- I post the Ski-Day Count thread and then a few people bellyache that it's "too early."

Why does the existence of this thread, which I post every season around the second week of April -- the time that most ski areas, east or west, have closed -- cause so much agita? I always request "POST YOUR DAY TOTAL WHEN YOUR SEASON IS FINISHED," not "POST YOUR DAY TOTAL NOW, EVEN IF YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED FOR THE SEASON."

There's always the option to ignore this thread if you're not ready to post.
jamesdeluxe

Postby Tony Crocker » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:17 pm

jamesdeluxe wrote:that most ski areas, east or west, have closed

As Patrick and others point out, in ALL important ski regions including the East, a few areas stay open until at least May 1. Thus my suggestion.
http://bestsnow.net
Ski Records
Season length: 21 months, Nov. 29, 2010 - July 2, 2012
Days in one year: 80 from Nov. 29, 2010 - Nov. 17, 2011
Season vertical: 1,318K in 2010-11
Season powder: 291K in 2011-12
Tony Crocker

Postby Marc_C » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:54 pm

jamesdeluxe wrote:Why does the existence of this thread, which I post every season around the second week of April -- the time that most ski areas, east or west, have closed -- cause so much agita?

Maybe because folks don't like being reminded of the inevitable and that so many areas, both east and west, close with anywhere from reasonable to very complete (and deep) coverage.

jamesdeluxe wrote:I always request "POST YOUR DAY TOTAL WHEN YOUR SEASON IS FINISHED," not "POST YOUR DAY TOTAL NOW, EVEN IF YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED FOR THE SEASON."

Which is why, with the predominant skier type that this board attracts, it seems so premature to start it in early April. A lot of folks won't even remember the thread exists by the time their season is finished. I don't even remember that it's you that starts the thread - just that it always seems to be someone in the Eastern forum.

jamesdeluxe wrote:There's always the option to ignore this thread if you're not ready to post.

There's always the option of not getting all worked up with people who disagree with your timing.
-marc
Marc_C

Postby Patrick » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:32 pm

Marc_C wrote:Which is why, with the predominant skier type that this board attracts, it seems so premature to start it in early April. A lot of folks won't even remember the thread exists by the time their season is finished. I don't even remember that it's you that starts the thread - just that it always seems to be someone in the Eastern forum.

And some won't be reading FTO when May arrives. Admin probably can confirm the viewership probably goes down as we move closer to summer.
Ski Mad World
A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography
http://madpatski.wordpress.com
Patrick

Postby jamesdeluxe » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:40 pm

Marc_C wrote:the predominant skier type that this board attracts

Four guys from Salt Lake City?
jamesdeluxe

Postby Patrick » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:51 pm

jamesdeluxe wrote:

:popcorn:
Ski Mad World
Patrick

Postby q » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:32 am

Well, my season has ended beyond reasonable doubt so I am delighted to post my totals even if it does annoy Marc_C.

I don't find it in any way objectional that this thread is here as most resorts are closed due to lack of skier interest. My own season's pass hill, Discovery, closed on April 3rd despite some of the best conditions and depths in many a year. The reason was that in the last 2 weekends in March, despite great conditions skier numbers dropped by 50% so they decided against extending to the 10th. The majority of skiers are done, simple.

Anyway, my totals are:-

Kongsberg, Norway - 1
Montana Snowbowl, MT - 1
Discovery, MT - 9(16 days on my March Madness $239 pass. New one on March 1st 2012 for the next 2 years)
Teton Pass, MT - 1
Big Mountain, MT - 1
Blacktail, MT - 1
Powder Mountain, UT - 3
Alta, UT - 2
Snowbird, UT - 1
TOTAL - 20

Not a bad total and spending time with friends is as important to me than simply skiing each day :-D
q

Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - Avatar: Primer Bowl, Loveland, CO

Postby Marc_C » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:05 am

Patrick wrote:
jamesdeluxe wrote:

:popcorn:

And a couple of guys from the northeast who are easily riled and seem to constantly have their panties in a bunch.
-marc
Marc_C

Postby Marc_C » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:08 am

q wrote:Well, my season has ended beyond reasonable doubt so I am delighted to post my totals even if it does annoy Marc_C.

Annoy? Hardly.
Just pointing out that soulful and authentic skiers are still skiing. 8)
-marc
Marc_C

Postby Patrick » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:17 am

Marc_C wrote:
q wrote:Well, my season has ended beyond reasonable doubt so I am delighted to post my totals even if it does annoy Marc_C.

Annoy? Hardly.
Just pointing out that soulful and authentic skiers are still skiing. 8)

Haven't seen you out much this year. :popcorn:
Ski Mad World
Patrick

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion