Smallest hill you've ever skied....

That's one's easy: Yawgoo Valley, in Slocum (no, I can't make that up), Rhode Island. All 150 vertical feet of it as confirmed on a topo map, although they've inexplicably recently inflated their marketing number to 245 feet (which it's not) and 90% of which comes in the top and bottom 10% of the "mountain."

YAWGOO-SIGN-LET.jpg

Notice how a town or county road goes straight up the same fall line as the runs. :lol: Look at the size of the cars in the parking lot relative to the size of the ski area. The chairlift to looker's left and the snow tubing area at the "summit" are both new since I skied there as a kid, as is the terrain park and its rope tow. All we had was the one double and base area rope tow.

You'd think that they would have taken the aerial photo when there was natural snow on the ground, but then you think about that one for a moment...

I defy anyone to beat that one. :wink: Maybe Crocker should make it a destination visit.

rfarren":30pnh930 said:
what is the most podunk ski hill you've skied?

I've been to far too many frankly. Define podunk though. Vert? Lift infastructure? etc...

How about Brantling, NY. ~240 vert, no chair lifts. Only surface lifts (and only one of those a t-bar). It's a literal cow pasture in summer. But Diane Roffe famously came from there.

This is a contest I know I'll lose. I've referred to obscure places like Mt. Grands-Fonds and Chisenupuri as small, but they still have 1,000+ vertical. The late Kratka Ridge and Ski Sunrise in SoCal are 700 vertical but both had decent pitch and tree skiing between trails. I never skied the smallest SoCal places Green Valley or Snow Forest. It finally came to me: Canada Olympic Park in Calgary, 410 vertical, acreage is by far the smallest I've skied too. But if you like race courses or terrain parks it's worth a look.

Admin":bzurtva0 said:
I defy anyone to beat that one.
Is that all you've got???

Vert in meters and lift(s). I've skied the first two of number of times.

Centre récréatif du Mont Laval, Laval (Ste-Dorothée) (18m – 3) = 59ft
I'll eventually get some pics out of this one.

Parc du Mont Royal (Beaver Lake), Montreal (17-1) = 56ft
Where I would have started skiing. I've even written a TR on it. :mrgreen:
http://madpatski.wordpress.com/2010/12/ ... irca-1968/

I might have skied this one, unless I only toboggan. Half the hill was divided (like Beaver Lake)
Parc Cabrini, Montreal (14-1) = 46ft
I went back to ski the hill with glass skis. This place is not too far from Frankontour's home. He even went skiing there a few times.
Anyway, here is a post from September 11, 2005...
Frank's TR: http://www.zoneski.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=3940

Frank is the 1st skier, I'm the 2nd without a helmet - 1st try.
Video: http://www.zoneski.com/frank/photosforu ... 0gazon.wmv

Admin":3185wutz said:
Patrick":3185wutz said:
Admin":3185wutz said:
I defy anyone to beat that one.
Is that all you've got???

...59ft
...56ft
...46ft

I am not worthy.

Even smaller than the 138ft vert I skied last Saturday, but those 3 were probably longer.

Not that this is a competition...but I've probably got you beat on greatest liftserved vertical also. :mrgreen:

At a little over 100 vertical feet, mine may not be the smallest, but I win for having a video of me skiing East Hill, NY -- and trying to milk as many turns as possible on a bad hip.

Patrick":da4ovcba said:
For snow, maybe there is footage of me on those old 8mm films that I brought from my mom's? :-k
Bring it on. Until you produce said footage, all these claims about actually skiing 50-foot hills are bollocks.
8)

I haven't skied at 4000 different areas like some here, so my smallest are generally considered "big" mountains - Attitash, Sunday River, Magic Mtn., Brighton - all in that 1700' realm.

What about big mountains that ski like they're really small?
Sunday River
Brighton

jamesdeluxe":2vii9o0y said:
Patrick":2vii9o0y said:
For snow, maybe there is footage of me on those old 8mm films that I brought from my mom's? :-k
Bring it on. Until you produce said footage, all these claims about actually skiing 50-foot hills are bollocks.
8)

What pics don't count? :shock: I also have pics from Mont Laval. I would have been in 1st or 2nd grade.

Marc_C":2vii9o0y said:
Patrick":2vii9o0y said:
On snow you mean? Because glass skiing is recognized by the FIS.
Isn't that really painful if you fall?

If you fall, you end up looking like this guy.

348781-neerlandais-johnny-hoogerland-recu-33.jpg

So you make sure that you don't fall.

(Nice catch Marc)

Ppppffffftttt. I am soooooo not impressed; for I have skied the slopes of mighty “Mt. Como” in St. Paul, MN.

Mt. Como is, in fact, a small rise with a short rope tow on a public golf course in St. Paul’s Como park. There are two trails: one on the left side of the lift and one on the right. I don’t understand why not, but apparently the St. Paul Parks Deptartment does not publish key stats such as vertical drop, annual snowfall, average snow density, skiable acres, percentage of easy, intermediate, and advanced terrain, access to backcountry, etc. Accordingly, I can’t relay the precise lift-served vertical. Nonetheless, I would surprised Mt. Como tops 60 ft., and is likely a good deal less than that, as the rope tow can’t be more than 200 feet long on a very gentle slope.

I’ll share a few additional facts about Mt. Como in a likely vain attempt to discourage arguments that a rope tow on a golf course is not a “real” ski area.
1. Yes, they do indeed charge for lift tickets;
2. There is meticulous grooming to ensure that skiers may smoothly carve BOTH turns of each run;
3. There is equipment rental;
4. There is snowmaking;
5. Lessons are available for all skill levels;
6. There is a chalet;
7. There are even lights for late-afternoon and evening skiing.

When my daughter got her first pair of skis for Christmas about a month before her 4th birthday and just absolutely, positively HAD to try them out the next day, we went to Mt. Como and had a hoot earning our turns just as if we had gone sledding. We graduated to the insanely-long magic carpet at Buck Hill the next weekend and have never looked back. But I will always have a soft spot in my heart for the majestic, snow-shrouded peak of Mt. Como.

Sorry, no pics.

flyover":32lmffrl said:
Ppppffffftttt. I am soooooo not impressed; for I have skied the slopes of mighty “Mt. Como” in St. Paul, MN.(...)Nonetheless, I would surprised Mt. Como tops 60 ft., and is likely a good deal less than that, as the rope tow can’t be more than 200 feet long on a very gentle slope.
You have nothing... :-({|=

Como Ski Center, St. Paul • 15 skiable acres on 150' vertical
Specs: 2 rope tows. Rentals & Lessons. Snowmaking. Open Tues-Suns. Night skiing Tu-Fr.
The SKInny: Operated by the City of St. Paul Parks Department, this is a shining example of what a community tow should be. Complete with a comfortable chalet type base lodge, (PSIA) certified instructors, grooming...this is something the city should be proud of. As skiers, you need to support this type of operation. Trust me, you can afford the lift ticket.
http://www.skiernet.com/ski_mn.html

Once someone gets close to 50' vertical, we can talk. :popcorn:

Aaarrrgh.

OK, given my inability to produce hard evidence to contradict that 150 ft. number, I'll formally concede defeat. (Your googling skills are evidently better than mine, as I was unable to find anything).

I gotta say, however, for two reasons I believe there is simply no way that number is even close to accurate: (1) a fifteen story hill would seriously stand out in the Como park neighborhood of St. Paul (my office is on the 11th floor in downtown St. Paul, and I have a clear line of site all the way past the Como neighborhood to downtown Minneapolis, 10 miles to the west), and (2) my three-year-old daughter, wearing ski boots for the first time, was able to repeatedly and enthusiastically hike from the bottom to the top without burning through all of her less-than-five-minute attention span.

Despite my travels skiing anything on my route I can beat those mentioned by others but some spring to mind.

Kendall Mtn I believe is my smallest at 240'.
Granlibakken, Howelsen, Little Ski Hill and Bear Paw amongst the others that I recall being small and I was gutted not to find Lee's Ski Hill in Ouray at 75' :-D

Boler Mountain (no kidding, that is what they call it) in London Ontario - 110' of screaming vert. Used to live about 5 minutes from this little gem, only rode there once or twice and only if there was a dump of fresh and then usually they'd just pack it all down anyway. You get pretty bored after about an hour. My Kid and his pals like the terrain park.

http://www.bolermountain.com/trailmap.php

They are expanding the terrain, doubling I hear. Not to many NA resorts can make that boast. The new (2nd) Mountain is made of fill from construction sites. Check it out and add it to your bucket list.

Back