"Lost" Resorts you've skied

EMSC

Inspired by Rfarren's thread, got me to thinking about all of the now defunct resorts I've skied at over the years. Criteria is that you skied the area when it was a going concern and that it no longer operates.

I'm not sure I'm going to remember them all in one go for my list:

Mystic Mtn, NY
Pinnacle, NY (I learned to ski here)
Scotch Valley, NY (also known as Deer Run)
Big Tupper, NY (sort of running one lift by volunteers on a few days per season currently so this may not count)
Highmount, NY
Innsbruck USA, NY

Blue Marsh, PA

Haystack, VT

Sky Valley, GA

Iron Mtn, CA

Edit to add:
Berthoud Pass, CO (can't believe I forgot this one)

I can't really think of any, but then again I'm pretty young.

Ascutney- I believe they turned their lifts off, so I guess that's one.
Magic Mountain- was closed for a bit, but has since re-opened
Vernon Valley-Great Gorge is now mountain creek, so the name has changed.

I few that I can remember well, some vaguely...some maybes?
North to South all in Quebec. Mostly the Laurentians with a few around MTL.

Gray Rocks, St-Jovite
Mont Faustin (got merged into Mont Blanc), St-Faustin
Sun Valley, Val-Morin
Chanteclerc (3 of the 4 hill are now abandonned)
Mont Laval, Laval
Mont Royal (Beaver Lake), Montréal
Glen Mtn, Knowlton

Maybes - we skied around when I was a young kid.
Mont Castor, Ste-Agathe
Mont Ste-Agathe, Ste-Agathe
Mont Sauvage, Val-Morin
Mont Alouette, Ste-Adèle
Mont Christie, near St-Sauveur
Université de Montréal, Montréal.
Parc Cabrini, Montréal
Parc Boyce (where the Olympic Stadium is now), Montréal
Mont Soleil (Nuns' Island)
Rougemont, Rougemont
Don't think I ever skied at Mont Shefford as a kid.
Mont Echo, West Brome

This may have been mentioned on one of these threads before, but there is an individual who has set up a web site and compiled an amazing amount of information on "lost ski areas" in the northeast. The link is: www.nelsap.org (which stands for "new england lost ski areas project"). It is fascinating to see how many "ski areas" or hills with some sort of ski lift on them that existed throughout the northeast over the years. Some were just ski clubs; some were colleges or even high schools that had lift served skiing; some were golf courses that put up a rope tow on a golf hole with a slope, etc. For anyone who has some free time, it is very interesting to search the history of some of these ski areas.

I've always been gutted that I missed skiing Marshall Mountain by a matter of days twice in the early 2000s and it has been closed ever since.

I skied once at Tamarack, Idaho before it closed and reopened.

All the others seem to be still going and sometimes I can only wonder how!

This list is short, particularly as a proportion of areas skied.
Kratka Ridge
Utah Powderbirds (Wasatch used to have a sister operation based out of what is now The Canyons)

There are 2 others which probably deserve an asterisk.
Ski Sunrise was taken over by Mt. High but only operates occasionally.
Montana Backcountry Adventures was a cat skiing operation that closed when its terrain became part of Moonlight Basin.

Tony Crocker":1cu3ztdg said:
This list is short, particularly as a proportion of areas skied.

Well, you started skiing in 1979, right?

My list dates back to 1968. The only Lost ski areas I've skied since I've been keeping track in 1981-82 is Gray Rocks, Glen and Chanteclerc (which is really lost as the main mountain is still in operation). A few from my list were still in operation in the early 1980s, but simply didn't ski them since the 1970s.

Patrick":1cu3ztdg said:
I few that I can remember well, some vaguely...some maybes?
North to South all in Quebec. Mostly the Laurentians with a few around MTL.

Gray Rocks, St-Jovite
Mont Faustin (got merged into Mont Blanc), St-Faustin
Sun Valley, Val-Morin
Chanteclerc (3 of the 4 hill are now abandonned)
Mont Laval, Laval
Mont Royal (Beaver Lake), Montréal
Glen Mtn, Knowlton

Maybes - we skied around when I was a young kid.
Mont Castor, Ste-Agathe
Mont Ste-Agathe, Ste-Agathe
Mont Sauvage, Val-Morin
Mont Alouette, Ste-Adèle
Mont Christie, near St-Sauveur
Université de Montréal, Montréal.
Parc Cabrini, Montréal
Parc Boyce (where the Olympic Stadium is now), Montréal
Mont Soleil (Nuns' Island)
Rougemont, Rougemont
Don't think I ever skied at Mont Shefford as a kid.
Mont Echo, West Brome

admin":c7s5fiio said:
They still do.
I had been under the impression that they lost the permit to fly out of there in one of the recurring renewal battles with Save Our Canyons. But now I find the following:
We also operate out of The Canyons Resort in beautiful Park City, UT. Our operations at The Canyons Resort are integrated with the Canyons Club and the Alpine House.
Do they actually fly helicopters from The Canyons or drive their clients around to the base at Snowbird? If the former, when did they regain permission to do that?

They fly from a helipad near Red Pine Lodge at the top of the Canyon Red Pine gondi. Have for a couple of years now at least.

Sent from my Android phone using Tapatalk

q":1gfpbkr8 said:
I've always been gutted that I missed skiing Marshall Mountain by a matter of days twice in the early 2000s and it has been closed ever since.

Was just at Marshall for a wedding on Saturday. There were rumors flying around the reception that it may reopen.

q, you would really like this book (if you don't have it already). It's on my coffee table all year long.

Downhill in Montana: Early Day Skiing in the Treasure State and Yellowstone National Park: A Pictoral History

http://www.amazon.com/Downhill-Mont...136X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1310482814&sr=8-1

There's a pile of "lost" ski areas in Montana.

Added to my favorites to pickup when in the USA next March. I've been facinated with lost resorts for a long time, never really got much in Montana.

Speaking of Montana, have you checked the Teton Pass website recently? I detect that the grand plans by the new owner are deminishing a little already. They are now saying they will only open 4 days a week through the season. You might think that this is for last season but that changed after season end. I also note that other than "New in 2010" the new lift that was supposed to go in "spring" 2010 opening up much more vertical seems to have taken a back seat.

If the new lift goes in I suspect I will drive north from Philipsburg for a day.

I received an email this morning confirming that at this stage there will not be a new lift at Teton Pass for 2011-2012. Came from none less than the owner himself.

q":6q882hme said:
I received an email this morning confirming that at this stage there will not be a new lift at Teton Pass for 2011-2012. Came from none less than the owner himself.

I had my doubts of such an investment after being there Prez Day weekend with stellar conditions and 50 or so cars in the lot. I hope he can still make it viable. It's just amazingly remote with Great Falls being the only true market to draw from (a market Showdown already has pretty much locked up). And it's just too far away for the destination visitor to Big Sky or Whitefish to make a side trip for.

Yes, I've been dubious myself taking everything into account. Even from Choteau its at least 45 mins on a snowy road. I made good time and did Philipsburg to Teton in snow in bang on 3 hours from memory. Then headed onto Kalispell which was again a pretty big drive for most. He will need a lot of luck and already his plans to draw people to the area I think looks doomed if they only open 4 days a week.

Back