Cheap Avi Beacon

Marc_C

Over on in the Notice Board sub-forum is a post from Admin about obtaining old F1 Ortovox beacons used by a ski patrol. I didn't want to clutter that forum, hence starting the discussion here. One should question why a ski patrol is getting rid of their old beacons. I want my partners to have the best 3-antenna easiest to use beacon in the world, not 3 generation old technology! If you care about your partners, please get a modern DTS Tracker, Pieps, or Barryvox.

Marc, you're over-simplifying. There's nothing inherently wrong with an F1, and in fact an analog beacon has much longer range than a digital only model like the DTS Tracker.

http://pistehors.com/backcountry/wiki/Gear/Ortovox-F1

It's far more about personal preference and the ability to actually use the beacon in a burial situation, and isn't restricted to the type of technology employed. Someone carrying a Tracker or Barryvox who doesn't know jack crap about how to effectively use it is absolutely worthless.

(FYI, the topic thread that Marc_C is referring to is here: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=9798)

I basically agree, and my post was somewhat (but not entirely) facetious, but in essence, I want my partner(s) to have whatever they find easiest and quickest to use, and, of course, have sufficient and regular practice with it. However, given some of the personalities we ski with, I'd have a higher comfort level if they had a DTS than an analog F1. At least one of those folks thinks knowing the name of the area/terrain where you're skiing is pointless and unnecessary. :roll:

I agree that we need to be using the best technology that's available. Even if it means to spend a little more money and get ride of that old junk they have to get the newest to the market. Saving lives is worth the money!

At ISSW last year there was some discussion about beacon technology. The interesting tidbit I did not know previously was that orientation of a buried beacon can have a dramatic effect upon its range of detection. A 1 antenna beacon has 10% of the range if it is buried vertically vs. horizontally, the new 3 antenna models have 90% of the range vertical vs. horizontal with the 2 antenna models in between. I would say that's a fairly significant flaw for the old 1 antenna models.

Back