Early Nor' easter

rfarren

It snowed quite a bit in NYC today. May this be the only time I ever say this on this forum, but this sucks! I'm most definitely not in the mood for snow in NYC right now.

It's hard for me to believe that:
a) it took that long for someone to post about it;
b) no one's yet posted photos of skiing it.

Sorry for not providing any ski pix; it was a major mess on the west side of the Hudson yesterday. We got approx eight inches of cement that stuck to trees (most with all of their foliage) like glue. Our town looks worse than it did after Irene. Trees down and bent over backwards everywhere. If the snow had had any air in it, there would have been a couple feet of accumulation: pretty historic for late October.

Yesterday, Laszlo at Plattekill was threatening to run a lift today if they still had electricity/open roads.

jamesdeluxe":1ggoz8u2 said:
Yesterday, Laszlo at Plattekill was threatening to run a lift today if they still had electricity/open roads.

Not any more.

About a half hour ago Laszlo":1ggoz8u2 said:
24 degrees. Windblown. Hard to tell exactly what we got but looks like at least a foot. Hikers are here and will report after first run.

Lifts are on wind hold at K-Mart this morning.

Admin":3ai7w7hb said:
jamesdeluxe":3ai7w7hb said:

Not any more.

About a half hour ago Laszlo":3ai7w7hb said:
24 degrees. Windblown. Hard to tell exactly what we got but looks like at least a foot. Hikers are here and will report after first run.

Scratch that, he is actually still planning to spin a lift.

admin":1jxssa27 said:
no one's yet posted photos of skiing it.
Presumably Patrick's out there somewhere, but considering we haven't seen his TR's for August or September yet, who knows when we'll know about it.

Too bad I don't follow them on facebook or twitter..or I would have know...guess their website is not the place to go...

Tony Crocker":lb3msdp6 said:
admin":lb3msdp6 said:
no one's yet posted photos of skiing it.
Presumably Patrick's out there somewhere, but considering we haven't seen his TR's for August or September yet, who knows when we'll know about it.

Unfortunately I wasn't there on Sunday, I had to return working at my mother's place. I was in MTL on Friday (no choice - I had to meet and pay the electrician for a major job). I was terribly torn into staying in New England with the storm coming, but I also need through it stuff as the sooner it's done, the more freedom I'll have.

I had an internet blackout most of the weekend. The plan (even before they announced it) was to head to SRiver for Saturday morning. I knew that they had the commitment into opening first, I wasn't going to gamble on Kmart opening. They had let down so many people in the last few years. I even had someone who grew up near K totally convinced that they weren't going to open.

I meet Bob R and we discussed the coming storm...he knows that I was on the fence on staying or going back across the border. Reason won out...I really hate it, but it was the only reasonable decision I could make under the circumstances...and it totally sucked.

I'm not sure there was much quality difference between Sunday River and Killington. K had only one run of 600 vertical open as far as I can tell, so any fresh snow would have been pounded into submission in no time. Despite the publicity this storm did not produce anywhere near the snowfall in the ski areas that the October 2005 storm did at K and Wildcat (the starting month of Patrick's streak). So perhaps the pics we've seen from Plattekill were the only real lift served powder.

Tony Crocker":3erbyfxn said:
I'm not sure there was much quality difference between Sunday River and Killington. K had only one run of 600 vertical open as far as I can tell, so any fresh snow would have been pounded into submission in no time. Despite the publicity this storm did not produce anywhere near the snowfall in the ski areas that the October 2005 storm did at K and Wildcat (the starting month of Patrick's streak). So perhaps the pics we've seen from Plattekill were the only real lift served powder.

The storm didn't produce as much than the Wildcat in 2005, but enough to provide great skiing. There is no question in my mind that K's conditions were superior than SR this weekend: Elevation advantage + nature snow.

As explained in my previous post, SR was a friendlier and safest October option. Who knows if K was going to open or not, and I remember reading last season of crackdown against earn-your-turns types.

Here is Riverc0il's day prior to opening report on Friday. ... then you add the second wave on Sunday.
http://www.thesnowway.com/2011/10/28/be ... -the-beast

And GPetrics beating everyone else / Thursday night.
http://www.famousinternetskiers.com/trick-or-treat/

So yeah, K would have offer the best skiing for me on Sunday...but commitments made it impossible get away for 2 days.

Patrick":1yb13obh said:
great skiing
I have seen no evidence of that. Riverc0il's report sounded quite masochistic. And if only one run was open at Killington yesterday, I'm still not buying that it could have been good for very long. Were cover/conditions adequate to poach terrain that was not officially open yesterday?

Tony Crocker":2n0oxop7 said:
I'm not sure there was much quality difference between Sunday River and Killington. K had only one run of 600 vertical open as far as I can tell, so any fresh snow would have been pounded into submission in no time.

Personally, I've lost all my enthusiasm for skiing nothing but Rime on a weekend with 1,000 of my closest friends. It looks like they'll finally have snowmaking temperatures that allow them to make snow to the bottom next Friday Nov 11. I'll likely get out midweek after that.

Back