Portable timing system for gate training?

Aero

Does anyone have any experience with the Freelap portable timing system? http://www.freelapcanada.com/alpinetiming

We're looking for an inexpensive (that's a relative term) portable timing system for our local masters group. The Freelap product includes portable stopwatches that are apparently triggered at the start and last gate and possible splits. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd sure be interested in reading what you suggest. Cheaper is better, but we want to avoid the junk.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5UbRuzl6DY[/youtube]

Thanks, and I apologize if I stuck this in the wrong thread category.

carl

Aero":21100cum said:
Does anyone have any experience with the Freelap portable timing system?

Thanks Aero,

I knew of systems like these, but its the first time I actually see one. I personally would be somewhat worried having a watch on me (on the slide or inside) if I'm racing or training. I never wear a watch when I do gates. I'll ask around and try to get back here.

Patrick":2r6lbw3x said:
Aero":2r6lbw3x said:
Does anyone have any experience with the Freelap portable timing system?

Thanks Aero,

I knew of systems like these, but its the first time I actually see one. I personally would be somewhat worried having a watch on me (on the slide or inside) if I'm racing or training. I never wear a watch when I do gates. I'll ask around and try to get back here.

Thanks Patrick!

I guess wearing a watch wouldn't be so bad if it enabled us to have instant feedback on the run we just did. But I know what you mean! It would have to be out of the way!

I've never used a watch based wireless timing system either. Normally a wireless wand up top, a finish beam and a display (some have the finish beam and display combined in one unit).

Along with Patrick, I'm not sure where I'd put a watch that wouldn't get broken, ripped off or seriously bruise me.

Unless I'm missing something, I could only see the watch system working with early stage young athletes logistically (they don't hit gates much); except for the fact that that group should not be doing timed runs for practice... they should be focused on the basics at that point.

Not much help from me I guess....

EMSC":2n3u86g3 said:
Along with Patrick, I'm not sure where I'd put a watch that wouldn't get broken, ripped off or seriously bruise me.

Good Point! I actually contacted them to get some additional info as that was one of my concern too!

The explanation I got was fairly simple. The watch is worn on the inner bicep or inner forearm near the elbow technically away from most impacts. They did mention a 2 years warranty on all their products including possible impacts with gates.

I suppose if we wanted we could just hang the watch on a neckless and wear it inside our jackets? I like the idea of the instant feedback though!

I got a very interesting email from them yesterday with some development on the arm band concern I mentioned to them a few weeks back. Looks like they listened!

LL

Looks like they have it finalized they send me the final shot and its now on there website:

freelapstopwatchskistra.jpg

Back