Wi Fi on a ski lift?

I see from one of the articles on the front page of the site that Vail is replacing one of their chairlifts with a state-of-the-art gondola that will have free Wi Fi for its passengers. Does anyone think this is a good idea?? I already hate it when people start yakking on their cell phones when riding up a lift, but now people will be surfing the internet on their way up the hill or checking emails. UGH. Can't people just enjoy being out in nature when they are skiing??

At our Manitoba Mountain project, we intend to have wifi so that you can download and track actual snow conditions off piste in real time on your smart phone.

I predict Tony C will be monitoring the situation from his laptop somewhere.

It is true that skiing is my escape from work, my meditative moment where all I focus on is a turn at a time, a movement at a time, but I'm not sure I'm against this. Life doesn't stop when you're on the mountain and Vail's clientele base will probably benefit well from this. I've been working so incredibly hard this year I doubt I'll be able to go skiing even one day. If my work was the type in which I could have my cake and eat it too because lifts had wifi I would be more than happy. Sadly, my work will probably prohibit my ability to go skiing for at least this year, and if not the next 2 or 3.

rfarren":3feh0xlf said:
It is true that skiing is my escape from work, my meditative moment where all I focus on is a turn at a time, a movement at a time, but I'm not sure I'm against this. Life doesn't stop when you're on the mountain and Vail's clientele base will probably benefit well from this. I've been working so incredibly hard this year I doubt I'll be able to go skiing even one day. If my work was the type in which I could have my cake and eat it too because lifts had wifi I would be more than happy. Sadly, my work will probably prohibit my ability to go skiing for at least this year, and if not the next 2 or 3.

A wise guy once told me, "Make your job your hobby or your hobby your job."

Happy Holidays Rob!

rfarren":zwfw7p5o said:
Sadly, my work will probably prohibit my ability to go skiing for at least this year, and if not the next 2 or 3.

Not sure if that is a "Yikes" quote, or you're going to be financially set for a while and be skiing a LOT more after a one time, big career push. Hopefully the latter for you and your wife.

EMSC":111lhqss said:
rfarren":111lhqss said:
Sadly, my work will probably prohibit my ability to go skiing for at least this year, and if not the next 2 or 3.

Not sure if that is a "Yikes" quote, or you're going to be financially set for a while and be skiing a LOT more after a one time, big career push. Hopefully the latter for you and your wife.
More the latter. I'm in the middle of a big time career push, and any sort of injury would be disastrous right now, not to mention I don't have a cent to spend on skiing this year as it's all tied up. If all goes well I'll be able to ski for as many days as I want for a long time.

soulskier":111lhqss said:

That's actually the case in my situation. Oddly enough, I've been so focused on work I haven't even thought about skiing until yesterday which was literally the first day I've had off in a stretch of fifteen days of fifteen hour work days. Frankly, I don't think it'll be too bad. The only thing that bothers me is that skiing allows me to live in the moment away from all the big issues, if at least for a turn at a time.

rfarren":2p27gn4g said:
soulskier":2p27gn4g said:

That's actually the case in my situation. Oddly enough, I've been so focused on work I haven't even thought about skiing until yesterday which was literally the first day I've had off in a stretch of fifteen days of fifteen hour work days. Frankly, I don't think it'll be too bad. The only thing that bothers me is that skiing allows me to live in the moment away from all the big issues, if at least for a turn at a time.

Well if the start is any indicator, you pick the right season not to make time to ski. Happy holidays!

soulskier":2n7s6v1c said:
Well if the start is any indicator, you pick the right season not to make time to ski. Happy holidays!

In my business it's really important to think about what quarter your product releases. I'm working like crazy to have everything set for the first quarter of this year so as to have the rest of the year set. It doesn't seem to have mattered much anyways as based on what I've seen there isn't much snow anywhere so far this year.

It's been pretty nice to have had the last 3 days off.

No job unless it leads to very very quick retirement is and ever will be worth it.

I'm a contractor, not a well paid one but a contractor non the less and I work by only one rule. I go on holiday for 4-5 weeks in March, happy? If so I come back to work in April if not I hand in my notice the week before I leave. F&ck them.

Merry Christmas everyone :-D

Just to add though, I think wi-fi on a lift is a dreadful idea and not needed for any worthwhile reason.

q":kcaz7wk5 said:
No job unless it leads to very very quick retirement is and ever will be worth it.

I'm a contractor, not a well paid one but a contractor non the less and I work by only one rule. I go on holiday for 4-5 weeks in March, happy? If so I come back to work in April if not I hand in my notice the week before I leave. F&ck them.

Well, I suppose that's one way to build a reputation as a contractor for return and future engagements.

Marc_C":19syxse9 said:
q":19syxse9 said:

Well, I suppose that's one way to build a reputation as a contractor for return and future engagements.

You mean you don't have a powder day clause in your employment contract?

Marc_C":1zjsthpt said:

No, it's what's known as having a life and balls. It's also rather amazingly known as "holiday entitlement" which may be alien to American's but I have the same rights as any of my "staff" colleagues which entitles me to the same number of days as they get which is ~32-35.

My reputation is perfectly fine and taking 90% of my holidays during a period when nobody else wants to and working practically every day between trips works but they know what they can do when it does not suit them 8)

I'll have to speak up a bit for q on this one. It's rare in the US but for the last 7 years I was working I got a similar amount of time off due to 25 years service and a PTO system. With regard to when I took time off, one year I was in a job where they didn't let me off during Adam's spring break (end of first quarter), so I transferred to another department within 6 months of that incident. I avoided accounting-intensive positions that tended to have a lot of first quarter inflexible deadlines. One of the reasons ski trips didn't bother most of my superiors much is that the vast majority of them were long weekends or one week trips. It only seemed to be the rare occasions I would be gone for 3 weeks that a lot of advance notice and preparation was required.

LandonY":2elwrjwu said:
I'm against wifi on a lift. I can just see the people hanging out at the exit to finish reading their emails or surfing the internet. Why don't they just put a Starbucks in there along with a some dude playing guitar to top it all off? I do treat snow skiing as an escape from work and electronics in general. I will check my phone for messages at the lodge but beyond that, I keep it zipped up in my jacket.
I couldn't agree more. I hate seeing people on ski slopes or ski lifts who are constantly checking their phones for messages. Humanity survived and thrived for 20,000 years WITHOUT having to check their smart phones constantly. Of course, I say this as the father of 15-year old daughter who can't go more than 2 minutes without checking her phone to see if one of her moronic friends has sent her some meaningless and vapid text message.

berkshireskier":3pu3jptx said:
Of course, I say this as the father of 15-year old daughter who can't go more than 2 minutes without checking her phone to see if one of her moronic friends has sent her some meaningless and vapid text message.
Oh Man, Teenagers!!! This perhaps my favorite thing you've ever written on the forum.

rfarren":31q63dl2 said:
berkshireskier":31q63dl2 said:
Of course, I say this as the father of 15-year old daughter who can't go more than 2 minutes without checking her phone to see if one of her moronic friends has sent her some meaningless and vapid text message.
Oh Man, Teenagers!!! This perhaps my favorite thing you've ever written on the forum.
LOL. Thank you very much. I love my daughter ..........but.......being the father of a teenager in this day and age can be VERY trying, especially with the ubiquitous nature of communication personified by the iPhone.

berkshireskier":17fi5jpr said:
LOL. Thank you very much. I love my daughter ..........but.......being the father of a teenager in this day and age can be VERY trying, especially with the ubiquitous nature of communication personified by the iPhone.
I teach a 7th and 8th grade two days a week, and a bunch of teenagers privately. I have the upmost respect for parents, and the amount of patience they display in regards to their teens. I never really though Bill Cosby's brain damage routine was that funny until I started teaching. I'm just happy that I'm now moving towards a life without teaching.

How would you like to be the father of 2 teenage daughters.. ](*,)

everything Berkshire says is true...

Back