Sarah Burke...R.I.P.

Patrick

From Midland, Ontario to our hearts.

Rest In Peace...may you Rip In Pow forever in Heaven and in our minds.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4tQJAl4tYM[/youtube]

Deepest sympathies to her husband, family and many friends.

It's hard to overstate her impact on skiing. She was the first high-profile woman in the park scene. She was an integral part of freestyle skiing as it developed from moguls to slopestyle & pipe over the last decade and a half. For years she was the only woman around pushing those limits, even competing in men's competitions before women's competitions existed. She was a driving force behind getting women's freestyle events established. She was no doubt was a role model for countless girls all over, proving by example that they could have a future in park & pipe skiing if they wanted it. It's tragic she never got a chance to compete in the Olympics and see the sport she helped define truly reach maturity.

Sarah Burke was one of skiace's coaches when he attended Mike Douglas' freeride camp at Blackcomb in June 2002.

I just heard the terrible news about the passing of Sarah Burke earlier today...what a sad sad day.
So young, so talented, too soon gone. RIP Sarah, thoughts and prayers for those you've left behind.
This vid is a little tough to watch but it shows what a lovely person she was...what a loss

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=NvhPWD_iHAo[/youtube]

longshanks":2sxlo3zx said:
(Admin - How does one post YouTube vids properly...so it shows up like Patrick's post above?)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvhPWD_iHAo[/youtube]

You were close, you had too much stuff in your youtube link (quote my youtube links to see exact format),

Skiace":659j2eze said:
It's hard to overstate her impact on skiing. She was the first high-profile woman in the park scene. She was an integral part of freestyle skiing as it developed from moguls to slopestyle & pipe over the last decade and a half. For years she was the only woman around pushing those limits, even competing in men's competitions before women's competitions existed. She was a driving force behind getting women's freestyle events established. She was no doubt was a role model for countless girls all over, proving by example that they could have a future in park & pipe skiing if they wanted it. It's tragic she never got a chance to compete in the Olympics and see the sport she helped define truly reach maturity.

skiace, hope you don't mind, I quoted you on a piece on my blog. You captured everything in one paragraph.

edit: here is the Ski Mad World post: http://madpatski.wordpress.com/2012/01/ ... rah-burke/

Patrick":328loevc said:
longshanks":328loevc said:
(Admin - How does one post YouTube vids properly...so it shows up like Patrick's post above?)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvhPWD_iHAo[/youtube]

You were close, you had too much stuff in your youtube link (quote my youtube links to see exact format),

Thanks Patrick!

Longshanks, if you mouse over the youtube bbcode button when posting you'll see the format that the link has to be in. Same for Vimeo, Facebook video, etc.

Apologies for the morbid curiosity, but I haven't seen any videos -- what exactly was she attempting that caused the accident? Is the fact that two big stars incurred major injuries at PC due to some unique characteristic in the superpipe there or is it merely coincidence?

Feel free to say "search JONG" if that's my problem.

Admin":38vs9ttr said:
Longshanks, if you mouse over the youtube bbcode button when posting you'll see the format that the link has to be in. Same for Vimeo, Facebook video, etc.

Super, thanks Admin! I am a low tech guy in a high tech world...

jamesdeluxe":2i5vvmke said:
Apologies for the morbid curiosity, but I haven't seen any videos -- what exactly was she attempting that caused the accident? Is the fact that two big stars incurred major injuries at PC due to some unique characteristic in the superpipe there or is it merely coincidence?

Feel free to say "search JONG" if that's my problem.

From what I had read early on (TGR) about the accident, Sarah actually landed on her feet (I don't know what trick she was doing) but suffered severe whiplash from the impact and that led to her vertebral artery tearing/rupturing. I have heard that the same thing can happen having your neck adjusted by a chiropractor but it is very rare and only happens in cases where the victim is predisposed...personally, I have had my neck "cracked" hundreds of times without incident. Life isn't fair - only the Good die young.

longshanks":2c2z085y said:
From what I had read early on (TGR) about the accident, Sarah actually landed on her feet (I don't know what trick she was doing) but suffered severe whiplash from the impact and that led to her vertebral artery tearing/rupturing.
Exactly. She was on skis, btw, not a board, as ski-halfpipe is the event she championed for inclusion in the Olympics. It sadly also once again demonstrates that helmets are no guarantee of safety.

There's nothing particularly unique about the PC superpipe - it's Olympic specs - the two accidents are coincidence and not statistically related (other than sports that involve taking to the air have a certain inherent risk somewhat above those that don't). Recall that in the other accident, his head hit the top edge of the pipe on his descent - an entirely different type of accident and impact.

The amount of torque put on her body must've been incredible to cause that type of injury!!! This is all very sad. I feel so sorry for her family and her husband.

Back