Red Mountain January 25/26/27

longshanks

Jan 25th:
15cm was predicted by Enviro Canada...14 was delivered, not bad and Bluebird. Here is a look at the back side of Red from Columbia Avenue in Rossland in the early am:
Backside of Red from Columbia Ave. Rossland.jpg

Was originally scheduled to leave Rossland in the morning on the 25th but was convinced by my Host to extend my stay as snow was in the forecast and other pals were scheduled to arrive on the 25th and 26th and I had not seen either for a while...OK twist my arm. Got the green light from the home-front and made the necessary changes to to my return flights.

On the previous afternoon in Rafters (after the ice rain event) I had the pleasure of hanging with some locals I knew as well as others just met including a member of the Klister Klub. Got an invitation to join the group at the Klub for lunch on the following day. I have slid by the venerable institution (north side of Granite Mtn. below Sara's Chutes) on numerous occasions and always wondered what went on in there. The Log Cabin and out buildings sit on privately owned land (one of only 2 such parcels on Granite that I know of) and is approaching its 80 year anniversary.
Klister Klub history.jpg

The Klub actually predates the resort development and is steeped in local lore.
Check out the History of the Resort here: http://www.redresort.com/about/history/

Anyway...Spent the morning by myself as my Host had business to attend to...Got to the hill at 9 ish only to discover that most of the lifts were closed or on hold due to wind. Only Silverload, and the T-Bar were in operation. Red Chair & Paradise Chair were closed and Motherload was on hold. Heard reports that chairs were banging of towers in Paradise. Took my time and did a warm up run off of SL and on the way back up decided that it would be a good idea to head to the bottom of ML. My hunch was rewarded as after a short wait the lift began to spin (about 10). Basically this was a repeat of Saturday the 21st but without the early line ups. After chatting up a local on the way up we decide that the Slides was it and they were very sweet indeed. Bit off a little more than I could chew and took a pretty good tumble after torpedoing into the rain crust. No injuries sustained and moved a wee bit into the back seat from there on. Headed right back up there and did the Slides again this time without the tumble. Back up again and did a tight tree run skier's right of Booty's and then out to lower Booty's. Up again and down Cambodia, could have done this all day and the place seemed almost deserted. By this time it was noon so I headed back to my vehicle to grab my contribution to the gathering. When in doubt wine always works (in vino veritas). Headed back to the top and arrived at the Klub at around 12:45. The hospitality was without compare...Venison & Pork Sausages, yummy cheeses, assorted biscuits and possibly the best Smoked Salmon on the Planet! Beer and Wine flowed freely, introductions made as people came and went, legendary stories shared...what a blast! Inside the Klub:
inside 1.jpg

inside 2.jpg

inside 3.jpg

Klister Klub crew.jpg

Probably the the shortest powder day in terms of runs ever, but definitely one of the most memorable.
Klister Klub.jpg

The afternoon melted into twilight and we tipsily descended the mountain in the growing darkness only to re-congregate at Rafters once more.
One of the Pals had arrived - and then things began to get weird...

Low rez video of Buffalo Ridge to the Slides on Granite Mtn

...After chatting up a local on the way up we decide that the Slides was it and they were very sweet indeed. Bit off a little more than I could chew and took a pretty good tumble after torpedoing into the rain crust. No injuries sustained and moved a wee bit into the back seat from there on...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kk1lcMnq10k[/youtube]

Back