Volcano Villarrica CL - 7 Sept 10

Tony Crocker":3rrcogi3 said:
Patrick":3rrcogi3 said:
Stopped skiing at 2pm without any stopping for lunch.
I recall delays getting TO the mountain at La Hoya also.

But once in Bariloche to get around the Argentine Lake areas, absolutely. :dead horse:

Lift open at 9:30 and I was at the hill maybe 15 minutes later that day. Regardless of the time I started, when I done (ie. tired), I'm done... There isn't much competition on the hill when you're the only going off-piste that day. This isn't North America or Las Lenas, there is no competition for fresh tracks.

Esquel to Bariloche is 282km on Ruta 40, not exactly an Interstate. Montreal to Killington is an easier drive.

Unlike the last time, I stopped in Villa La Angostura to stayed there, I didn't bother going a daytrip to and from Bariloche for it. Saved time and rested up...plus it was on the road to Argentina. VLA is 7km from the border on a main pass.

Around the lake areas, you are talking about Catedral and Cerro Bayo. I know that I wasn't going to focus on these places (3 days out of 10 on my trip).

Patrick":3asekayd said:
Esquel to Bariloche is 282km on Ruta 40, not exactly an Interstate.
My best ski day in July at Porters included 260km of non-interstate driving, including ~50km unpaved.

A few other secondary road post-ski drives:
Mt. Baker to Whistler 245km with a border crossing
Fernie to Nelson 306km with a ferry crossing
Retallack to Schweitzer 240km with ferry and border crossing
Fernie to Canmore, skiing the day at Panorama 423km, shared driving

And most people would think Al Solish and I were nutcases on the ill-fated Tropical Punch trip of 2005. That included:
Spokane to Great Northern, Great Northern to Golden and a daytrip to Lake Louise from Golden.
Later there was Kicking Horse to Rossland 497km. At least the driving (and misery) was shared on that trip.

250km every day is not a good idea. But to and from a multi-day stay in Esquel, not that big a deal. It's also tiring shlepping luggage from lodging to bus stations. I'm guessing you're not hiring Argentine taxi drivers to do that. :stir:

Patrick needs to find another nutcase to go with him on these trips. That would make the car decision easier.

Back