E. Townships for LST (long, steep groomers)?

gpaulski

Hola, hope y'all are well!

I'll start with amazing jamesdeluxe's words:
Mont Orford, QC 02/10/10

Postby jamesdeluxe » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:48 am
Hadn't been to Orford since 2005 and forgot how good a mountain it is... definitely the best overall terrain in the Townships: lots of steep offpiste shots, some excellent (and long) glade runs, and plenty of cruisers, it's got everything covered. Conditions-wise, it's a lot more temperamental in that it can get raked by strong winds up top and only gets about 160-ish inches annually, I believe. Think of it as the Whiteface of the Townships. But when the snow is in great shape, like it was yesterday, Orford's a fun time.

True for LSG?? Anybody care to rank them?

Any of them similar to M. S. Anne?

Gracias, best.

Owl's Head specializes in long, nicely pitched groomers. Bromont has a lot too, not quite as long as OH. Sutton's are fun, but short (800-900 vert range).

Patrick":1sjnb5jv said:
This would still apply:
Most of that debate was over the April timing of the proposed trip. No timing is offered by GPaul this time (but every previous inquiry has been for Christmas or Easter) and note that james' complimentary remarks were from a trip in February. By the way, if GPaul is still thinking about ANYWHERE in Colorado/New Mexico for this Christmas, forget about it. BAIL OUT NOW.

Tony Crocker":10pgac35 said:
Patrick":10pgac35 said:
This would still apply:
Most of that debate was over the April timing of the proposed trip.

Yes, but I also remember that GPaul specifically asked the long steep groomer in that thread, or maybe it was in another thread or forums? Pretty sure it was in that thread.

GPaul may obsess about long steep groomers, but snow conditions matter if he doesn't want them to be closed or a sheet of ice. If he can only take these vacations at Christmas or Easter, he should not be taking them in the East.

Paid attention and followed suggestions this time :-({|= O:)
Beav/Vail 12/18-21
Tride 22-26
Cbutte 27-31

MERRY XMAS!!!

gpaulski":32sf5fg4 said:
Paid attention and followed suggestions this time :-({|= O:)
Beav/Vail 12/18-21
Tride 22-26
Cbutte 27-31

MERRY XMAS!!!
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Tony Crocker":32sf5fg4 said:
If I were to pick the worst destinations in western North America for average snow coverage/open terrain in December/January, Crested Butte and Taos would top the list.
EMSC":32sf5fg4 said:
I have to wonder why you are not looking at highly reliable early season resorts... Say start at Steamboat pre-holidays before it gets crazy, then move on to Alta & Grand Targhee? Some of the best early season places around... You could probably even include Wolf Creek on that itinerary too.
johnnash":32sf5fg4 said:
you might consider trying to stay flexible (you've got a car, after all)

One more shot on being constructive here: ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
Beav/Vail is before the crowd crunch, and to the extent Colorado is getting some snow, it seems to be along the I-70 corridor. Telluride and Crested Butte rate to be total disasters. BAIL OUT NOW!!! You have a car, so you CAN go somewhere else. EMSC's suggestions of Salt Lake or Targhee/Jackson are the most logical. I gave johnnash similar bail out advice last year and he's glad I did.

Back