Artificial Snow From Sewerage Waste Water?

ski-ninja

What do you think about skiing on artificial snow made from sewerage waste water,that has been found to contain pharmaceuticals, hepatitis, industrial pollutants and drugs that could be harmful to children playing in the snow and to skiers? Would you let your children ski their? That is the situation we have in Flagstaff Arizona's Snowbowl.

Ski Ninja

The above is total BS scaremongering. The city of Flagstaff has used reclaimed water to irrigate lawns and golf courses in summer for many years. That same water is about to be used for the first time by Arizona Snowbowl for snowmaking. In the desert Southwest water is a precious resource and it's environmentally responsible to use reclaimed water as much as possible.

The Navajo tribe has fought Snowbowl's snowmaking plan for many years and finally lost its last court appeal about a year ago. Arizona's other ski area, Apache Sunrise, is owned by the local Apache tribe and has used snowmaking for many years.

C'mon... let's get real... The waste water is treated and has been shown to create no problems, when used for irrigation, etc., to humans and animals. And let's eliminate the terminology "Artificial Snow". The product created by forcing cold water through a nozzle, at high speed, and mixing it with cold air is not artificial in any sense. It is "Machine Made Snow". The components are exactly the same as the "Natural Snow" that falls from the sky. The difference is that the amount of air and water is controllable. It is adjustable to allow "snow-making" in different conditions of weather and to how the "snow" is projected to be used. ( Base is normally denser as compared to the lighter fluff used to cosmetically enhance a surface. ) The "Machine Made Snow" also is much easier to groom with snow cats than natural snow and tends not to blow away or drift as natural snow does.

I haven't checked TGR yet, but same guy is posting on Epic, and getting no traction there, either.

ski-ninja":qezaf2ck said:
What do you think about skiing on artificial snow made from sewerage waste water,that has been found to contain pharmaceuticals, hepatitis, industrial pollutants and drugs that could be harmful...
Please provide citation(s) to the appropriate peer reviewed scientific research papers that support this assertion.
Otherwise it just seems like troll bait.

I'm actually not sure it's a troll. The Navajos have been fanatical fighting Snowbowl for a decade. So much so that Snowbowl isn't even publicizing its court victory because it fears protesters would try to impede construction. When I collected their snow data last spring they told me NOT to publish that they were building the snowmaking system this summer.

don't know for sure if it's sewerage water reclaimed and cleaned up , but they do use something here which is called grey water . now that is like storm drain water , bath water ,dish water all the water that doesn't go through the reclaiming and cleaning process of sewerage , that is used on the majority of public golf courses . northern utah doesn't really face the same water issues that the rest of the western states have .haven't heard of any problems from it and i haven't had any problems from it

I don't see what the big deal is? It's very obvious that this guy has never been to NYC 2 days after a blizzard... and that didn't keep me from playing in the snow as a kid.

the world is becomig full of people who want to stop prosperity and fun where ever they find it.
now they want us to stop making snow.
what will they think up next?

Back