Is anyone actually skiing back there??

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
OK, we've seen PQ watching snowmaking guns in central NY, Kingslug hopped a bus to K-Mart and Anthony is watching skiffs of snow blow around the Laurentians. Is anyone else actually skiing back east? I know the answer is "yes," so where are the posts? Inquiring minds want to know -- get those TR's up to let your fellow readers know what it's like out there!

jasoncapecod":3d2kiwm3 said:
skiing one run at Hunter doesn't warrant a post.

Au contraire. Would be nice to see the good, the bad and the ugly.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk 2

Well , last weekend dropped 2 of the kids off for their mandatory ski instructor refresher course and took one look at the hill and said f... it . The " WROD " just doesn't do it . Currently pouring rain out with temps in the 50's . On the bright side , not like were loosing all this powder . :lol:

Yep, grass is still green here. Playing golf is a better option than skiing, right now. Let's hope this winter does NOT resemble last winter.

Not skiing, but I was at yesterday's NY State Media Night event. The big news is that with ORDA now operating Belleayre instead of the DEC, they're working together with the private hills (Plattekill, Hunter, and Windham) to promote the Catskills. They're only taking baby steps right now (a combined ski card, a $10 promotion in January, etc.), but it could eventually turn into something substantial for the region.

Admin":1p8ztww3 said:
Is anyone else actually skiing back east? I know the answer is "yes," so where are the posts?
It would be nice if we could get people like JSpin and Riverc0il back, even if only posting URL's to their own blogs like Patrick is doing much of the time.

Took the girls to Jiminy last Sunday. Warm, soft snow. They blew/blow a ton there and it skied quite well on what they described as 21 trails. Run of the day was Cutter. Just so happens it seemed as though it was the only run that was not groomed.

8239053161_70e2c93c2e.jpg

Platty was originally scheduled to open today but with this weekend's warm weather, Laz put it off for a week. I am looking forward to being back up at Platty, the home hill.

I've skied 3 days, 2 at Gore and one at Windham. (First time at Windham). Honestly it's hard as hell to post on NYSB, be a half-assed dad/husband, hold down a job, and ski. Admin... I'll give trade you a decent NY TR for a Pow Mow or Alta. :wink:

I'm in agreement with James on the NY media night. I spent some time speaking with Ted Blazer, and I was convinced that he is embracing the Catskills. It was pretty cool to see/hear.

Shout out to Tony Crocker! A newpaper guy from the Schenectedy Paper tracked me down and gave us some strokes on NYSB. He said he was turned on to our site by a friend of his in California... I'm guessing that might be you. Thanks!

Big time fingers crossed for Laz + D... man they need it after last year! Support the team!

I'm always too busy in the Fall to go skiing.

If you remove James or myself from the East last season, you'll noticed that we accounted from the increasing important portion of Eastern TR writers. It's not new this season, the roots started a few years ago as regulars left and lost of new blood, its a downward spiral.

Patrick":vog7xawo said:
I'm always too busy in the Fall to go skiing.
And Fall skiing in the East is generally a waste of resources, unless you're JSpin cherry-picking each snowfall in your immediate vicinity.

OK, I'll bite.

I skied Hunter this weekend. They had 2 runs from top to bottom (and I believe 1 in the beginner area?) Drove up Friday in the rain, and considered not even going out on Saturday as the last forecast I heard was for more rain showers. Ended up driving to the mountain in some fog Saturday morning, but no precipitation. Got a bit of a late start but found nice soft snow and no ice on the only open runs. Through the morning the sun started to appear until it was full on blue sky. Soft bumps formed early on Hellgate/Broadway/Kennedy. It turned out to be a nice spring day. Oh, it's December? Saturday night must have gotten just below freezing because after being groomed out overnight the same terrain was smooth ice in most places on Sunday morning. Cooler temps and little/no sun didn't help soften things up much until much later. More buses and more crowds didn't help things either. Saturday was definitely the better day. They had very little snowmaking time on Belt Pkwy last week - very good coverage considering, but thin spots were developing. Drove back home again through a constant rain. At least we avoided the wet stuff on the mountain. More rain today probably left it not too good up there. Looks like snowmaking temps for the rest of the week starting Tuesday. This weekend should be better.

Sorry, no pics.

Tony Crocker":3trw13f8 said:
And Fall skiing in the East is generally a waste of resources, unless you're JSpin cherry-picking each snowfall in your immediate vicinity.

Skiing is generally a waste of resources, but it sure is fun. Hell the same could be said about living.

I guess if fall is mostly September and October, I'll grant you. But if you're talking about anything pre 12/21 then that's a generalization. Maybe you're covered because you did say "generally." Saying one person's choice on how to have fun is a waste seems arbitrary. Fun is by definition a "waste." Or it's essential, and therefor not.

Saturday was a good day at every eastern resort from what I saw/read. And Sunday was bulletproof.

Most people's resources (time and $) are finite. If you're using those resources to ski current eastern conditions instead of January-March, that's what I define as a waste of resources. Someone like harvey44, for whom the marginal cost is practically zero (own housing, season pass), that's a different situation.

Tony Crocker":2t0vgjh7 said:
Most people's resources (time and $) are finite. If you're using those resources to ski current eastern conditions instead of January-March, that's what I define as a waste of resources. Someone like harvey44, for whom the marginal cost is practically zero (own housing, season pass), that's a different situation.
Harv and I part ways on this issue. While his marginal cost to go to the ADKs is limited to time, tolls, and gas (which, at $3+/gallon, adds up), his ski fanaticism -- certainly on par with Patrick's, but limited to the northeast -- is such that he'll willingly drive almost three hours to the Catskills during December to make turns on a WROD or two. On that, I side with Tony and either go elsewhere (I fly to SLC tomorrow) or wait it out until conditions and open terrain improve.

Interesting. I follow a more complex strategy I guess. I have become more on the 'avoid WROD' side of things over the years, yet it's still comes down to an overall question of what else would I be doing? Sometimes there are lots of better options for my time, other times even with just a WROD I'd rather just get outdoors and be active and get into ski shape... Though WROD on a crazy busy holiday is always a poor choice.

While the cost for me to ski in NY is really very low, the reason I haven't skied out west in the last 5-10 years isn't really about money. I probably could have swapped the last two blogger summits for a trip to SLC, but those were really my only options in the last five years. Without getting too personal, it's just something I can't do. Props to James for pulling it off.

As far as eastern skiing, I have other reasons for skiing in NY. If it was just about the snow, I'd ski VT.

I hope to ski Alta with Admin and Bobby Danger and Telejon. It sounds like my kind of place.

My trip to Kmart has been the only day I have gotten in...and it was a pretty good one all things considered. Spent the day hitting the moguls once I warmed up as there wasn't anything steep, so moguls make it interesting. It got skied off later so by 3:30 I was done and back on the bus...its pretty much rained every weekend since then..so much so I can't even read the western reports. I did try to put together a trip out to Utah but airfare went through the roof for the holidays..$1200.00 nice...an old friend did the right thing and rolled the dice and booked a trip to Snowbird on the 12th months ago...of course he hit the jackpot...I think airfare was 300.00 then...Since early season here doesn't exist anymore I'm going to do the same next year, as anything Utah gets simply crushes our pathetic numbers..Hunter YTD..3 inches...I'll be hitting Whistler the end of Jan and then have to decide where to go..Utah (always the favorite), another Diamond dog trip to Jackson end of Feb..might be broke from Whistler though..hell I'll prolly come out to Utah in Feb..where they will try to kill me once more...

kingslug":3a1zl2yq said:
Diamond Dog trip
Liz is in that club. We first met in person when the Diamond Dogs had a trip to mammoth in March 2011. The former president of the Diamond Dogs retired a couple of years ago and now lives at the base of Little Cottonwood Canyon.

Back