Tremblant December 21

mitch28

Great day at Tremblant today. The snow report claimed 5 inches as of 5:30 am, but the snow was coming down hard all day and it was definitely deeper than that when the lifts started spinning. I spent most of the day on the Expo chair, lapping Expo and Dynamite, making boot to knee deep turns in the dense new snow. The steeper lower section of Dynamite was great for the first few runs, but once skied out it had a lot of exposed rocks. Expo wasn't actually open, but ski patrol wasn't stopping anyone. Temperatures hovered around the freezing mark all day, but thankfully it was only snow that fell. I didn't go over to the South side, and I heard lifelines were crazy there because the gondola was running at half speed. The snow is still coming down, so tomorrow should be another great day. The Edge will be opening for the first time this season. After all the snow this week, it should be very deep over there, but it usually gets skied out quickly.

A few wows...

1) Expo wasn't open but patrollers were stopping anyone
2) Lower section of Dynamite was open, well skiable? For those that don't know, I believe that is probably one of the steepest pitch in the East: a vertical rock face.

A great day to be up north, even if Tremblant is somewhat out of the Snowbelt and didn't received as much snow further south.

I have a feeling expo wasn't open because of a few big rocks. I was hesitant to go, but when I saw a lot of people going right in front of patrollers, I figured it was ok.

Lower dynamite was good for the first few skiers yesterday, but soon became rocky. Today was similar, and the added traffic didn't help. It's usually not open this early (if at all), but we also don't usually get this type of storm so early in the season. For once Tremblant got the bulk of snow from a storm, as its northern location kept the snow from turning to rain.

mitch28":q0is37u7 said:
For once Tremblant got the bulk of snow from a storm, as its northern location kept the snow from turning to rain.
From what I heard or saw, there was no mixed in Ottawa and north. In the Laurentians, I was told the mixed/none-mixed snowline was St.Jerôme, so all the Laurentians would have received snow only.

Patrick":2v19zh8h said:
mitch28":2v19zh8h said:
For once Tremblant got the bulk of snow from a storm, as its northern location kept the snow from turning to rain.
From what I heard or saw, there was no mixed in Ottawa and north. In the Laurentians, I was told the mixed/none-mixed snowline was St.Jerôme, so all the Laurentians would have received snow only.

At my cottage (in between St Agathe and St Donat), the overall acumulation was snow but we had some rain last night.

mitch28":9swr5vt6 said:
At my cottage (in between St Agathe and St Donat), the overall acumulation was snow but we had some rain last night.

Wow, I didn't hear that. We got 100% snow (unless it rained will I was skiing) since the bit of rain before the storm Thursday night.

Thanks for posting on Eastern TR. Happy to see some new eastern blood posting here.

Back