3 FEET OF SNOW IN THE LAURENTIANS

Anthony

Could not miss out on this storm but like Patrick and everyone else around this time ,too much to do. Had 6 hours off today so had to make the best of it. Headed out to Olympia which is close by and had not been open all week. Good choice as Olympia in the Southern Laurentians received 3 feet of dense snow so we made sure we arrived in time for first tracks as this centre leaves large areas ungroomed . Now 3 feet of dense snow is not cold smoke as I found out jumping into a hollow sinking down and doing a face plant on the first run. Once we adjusted to the snow,things improved as the area was 100% open so we skied the woods , power lines, the steeps etc. All were covered with the 3 feet of new snow. Temps dropped over 10 C in less than 4 hours and the wind picked up drying out the snow which helped improve the skiing. Overall great day .

Anthony":1xew1wrp said:
Could not miss out on this storm but like Patrick and everyone else around this time ,too much to do.

If I was totally irresponsible, I would have driven from Ottawa to St-Donat to ski at La Réserve. Unfortunately, I cannot postponned Christmas and I need to be at work tomorrow (as I didn't go in on Friday).
- La Réserve was closed all last week and open on Friday for only 3 hours.
- Power outage shutdown the ski area for Friday afternoon and all day yesterday. The catskiing is also going to be open.
- La Réserve wins at being skied in powder + I've never skied there (only been to a party).

Anthony":1xew1wrp said:
Temps dropped over 10 C in less than 4 hours and the wind picked up drying out the snow which helped improve the skiing. Overall great day .

That was my call. Apparently Le Massif wasn't so great. They got a rain crust at one point.

Just came in after another 4 hours out in the Lower Laurentians . Temps dropped overnight so the tracked out ungroomed runs were chopped up and hard . Hiked deeper into the woods and found our usual powder spots that last about 20 seconds going down but what the heck will take the 20 seconds . The new snow dried out and is offering better turns than yesterday providing that it hasn't been skied on. Measured the base depth in the Shawbridge/Peidmont area at 3 feet 5 inches . Probably deeper further north in the belt and over in St. Donat . La Reserve would have been good , just did not have the time to drive over there .

Tony Crocker":36yh3azb said:
I'm working on the weekly snow report. Le Massif got 67 inches last week! =D> :drool:

From all I read from friends on FB, La Réserve was so much better than Le Massif (I had friends at both locations). Continued to snow here all day, it was real nice, however it was pretty crowded and very flat in the shopping mall parking lots around town. Working tomorrow, especially that I didn't go in on Friday.

This year wasn't much different than previous years. Looking at my ski dats data, I've never skied on December 23rd, the only day unskied between the first week of December and the last of April since 1981-82.

Patrick":1ek1exji said:
I've never skied on December 23rd, the only day unskied between the first week of December and the last of April since 1981-82.
How did you get away with Dec. 24 and 25 without being served divorce papers? :lol:

My consecutive date streak is only Dec. 26 - April 23. If I can fill in 5 scattered spring dates, the streak could extend to June 1. I have 4 missing dates in December.

Tony Crocker":2w1qd9d2 said:
My consecutive date streak is only Dec. 26 - April 23. If I can fill in 5 scattered spring dates, the streak could extend to June 1. I have 4 missing dates in December.

I wasn't married 32 yrs ago... I was only 16 were I started keeping track of my ski days.

I'll check on the database at home the missing days. Since 1981-82, 3 times on Dec 24 and 1 time on Dec 25:

3 Ma, 24 Dec 85 Killington
Day trip with my mother and girlfriend at the time. I was suppose a longer trip, but I had laryngitis and shouldn't have even been on skis. A future TR while be posted as I have a few things like pics from that day.

2 Ve, 25 Dec 87 St-Sauveur/Avila
Single and skiing with my mother. We did a few hours of skiing before paying a visit to some family in the Laurentians.

4 Sa, 24 Dec 06 Fortune
Morgane and I skiing. She almost ran into some deer skiing down. TR was written on FTO and reproduced on my blog.
http://madpatski.wordpress.com/2006/12/ ... stmas-eve/

3 Sa, 24 Dec 11 Edelweiss
http://madpatski.wordpress.com/2012/01/ ... to-winter/
Morgane and I last season.

Tony Crocker":1gqt3w47 said:
I'm back at home with real geek data.

My consecutive date streak is Dec 24 - May 11. From Dec 9 - May 11, Dec 23 is the only missing day even if yesterday would have been so awesome.

Missing days:

November (13 days) 2-8, 13, 15, 17-19, 24
December (5 days): 1-3, 8 & 23 (includes my wife's bday)
January, February, March (0 Days)
May (4 days): 12, 26, 30 & 31
June (16 days) 2, 6-8, 16-27
July (25 days) 6-31
August (22 days) 1-12. 14-20, 23, 26-27
September (22 days) 9-30
October (24 days) 1-14, 16-17, 19-22, 24, 26-27

So basically, I've skied almost every calendar days between November 9 to June 15 minus 19 days.
Or even better yet... December 9 - May 25 minus 2 days (Dec 23 & May 12).

Okay, I better do wrap some Christmas gifts instead of wasting time with this. :brick:

I have 9 missing days between Nov. 24 and June 1. Dec. 6 was a first this year. 4 dates were added in the early season last year due to the unusual backcountry schedule.

Back