Belleayre, NY 12/29/12

jamesdeluxe

Administrator
After a hideous first three weeks of December, things are finally shaping up in the northeast, even as far south as the Catskills. Belleayre is reporting three feet in the last week and we got an additional six inches yesterday afternoon. The upper pitch of the mountain was, as often the case, one smooth turn for three scratchy ones; however, once below that, conditions were extremely smooth, with bootcuff-deep snow in the woods and along the trail. Westerners would be amazed how little snow we need back East to get the trees in play.

Since the seasonal weather is forecast to continue, they should be up to 100% soon.

Belleayre 008a.jpg

Belleayre 012a.jpg

Belleayre 014a.jpg

Tony Crocker":1topf4vc said:
The East is up to average on snowfall now, most of it in the last 2+ weeks.

Local conditions are as good as they can get around Ottawa, a comprehensive TR (without pics) is going to be posted. Definitely the best Holidays conditions in at least 5 years.

I'm at work now as my vacation days are running thin. Heading to Camp Fortune for the first Masters' race of the season, but I decided to take a pass, too much to deal with right now. Not sure if I'll race this season. Oh yeah, -25c is forecast overnight low. -17c outside right now.

Tony Crocker":yany0jnh said:
The East is up to average on snowfall now, most of it in the last 2+ weeks.
IMO, we're having the best ski conditions of the past season and a quarter (2011/2012 and 2012/213) right now in Central New England. Combination of cold weather (snowmaking) and some natural snow has created very good ski conditions on most trails. Mostly groomed and packed powder on the trails and not too much ice or hard-packed snow (at least for the first few hours of the ski day). Looks and feels like winter, too, with enough natural snow to cover the ground and very cold temps this week. Of course, prediction is for warmer weather next week and no snow in sight. So this may be a short-lived spell of good skiing.

James you incorrectly ldentified Belleayre run in a photo That photo under the lift 7 is Lower Yahoo looking up at the Scoring hut.

Back