Plattekill, NY 01/06/12

jamesdeluxe

Administrator
Plattekill.jpg

With no new snow in the past week, Bryan and I took our time getting up to the Catskills and didn't get on the hill until well past 10 am. Even though Plattekill's YTD is still below normal, they're 100% open and conditions on the natural snow trails were really enjoyable: soft and chalky with only the occasional rock. It was a busy day at Plattekill -- all of the parking lots were full, but the lifts were ski-on the entire day.

Harvey.jpg

As anyone who's skied there knows, Plattekill is the best of both worlds. It's very well run but has such a friendly town-hill vibe -- all of which is due to owner Laszlo Vajtay, the hardest working man in the ski business.

James-after-2-beers.jpg

We were supposed to meet up with Harv, but he was nowhere to be found until beer time in the bar. Even though I had changed into my street clothes, with the final bell at 4:15, we headed back out for two last runs as the sun was going down. A really fun day and worth the extra bit of driving.

All photos from the birthday boy at New York Ski Blog.

Hmm..looks better than I though..was thinking of going Sunday but stayed at Hunter...one more good dump and I'll hit it...

kingslug":10jswvz1 said:
Hmm..looks better than I though..was thinking of going Sunday but stayed at Hunter...one more good dump and I'll hit it...
Would that be before or after the upcoming rain?

jamesdeluxe":3h6obqsq said:
Marc_C":3h6obqsq said:
Would that be before or after the upcoming rain?
He's angry after breathing dangerous levels of airborne particulate matter for the past 12 days.
Tony's statistical spreadsheet based on his big book of averages says that we haven't had an inversion or dry spell the past 12 days. It's impossible, on average.

Platty's been super sweet since opening day!! You've got to get it while you can there...and its been rockin'. Nothing beats the natural snow trails of Platty. My girls feel totally at home hanging out in the lodge etc... Makes Daddy very happy! I was there Saturday and Sunday this past weekend:

The woods on Saturday:
8352610722_0d1274001d.jpg

Plunge:

8339044604_d0b7057625.jpg

My 6 y.o. on Face on Sunday afternoon:

8355156563_c89ae8ea19.jpg

James ... sorry we didn't connect until the end of the day. MikeR and I were off on a (probably ill-conceived) sidecountry mission. It was fun but by the time you got to Roxbury we were headed off along the ridgeline.

Into-the-Woods.jpg

Eventually we returned to rip the front four...

MikeR-Lower-Face.jpg

...and drink some BEERS...

Plattekill-Bar.jpg

Marcski... sorry I missed you! James REALLY appreciate you (re)booting up and doing two more runs with me. I was a little bit "wobbly" I must say.

I got a little bit nostalgic about yesterday if you can stand it...

http://nyskiblog.com/return-to-plattekill-mountain/

Woot!

MarcC":2zsfi56k said:
Tony's statistical spreadsheet based on his big book of averages says that we haven't had an inversion or dry spell the past 12 days. It's impossible, on average.
It's not quite mid-January yet, and the dry spell started ~December 28. Oh, and the dry spell includes much of the West including here at Mammoth. What are the odds of that, since everyone knows Sierra and Wasatch weather are "totally and completely irrelevant" to each other? :stir:

Back