Is anyone actually skiing back there??

This season so far has given me a bit of appreciation for jamesdeluxe's December strategy. While there is a risk of inadequate coverage, the upside of skiing December before Christmas is significant. The uncrowded slopes between Thanksgiving and Christmas make for great conditions when there's enough snow, and powder days are less competitive. I've been reminded of this by the 11 days on 3 trips to Mammoth, and while I got a lot more of it this year I've observed this phenomenon at Mammoth in December in several other good seasons.

I would not advocate Mammoth as one of james' December objectives because on Dec. 15 it is less than 1/4 open in 20% of seasons and less than half open in an additional 20%. In terms of big ski destinations I think the odds of committing to mid-December far in advance are safest at LCC/BCC and Whistler. Obviously Targhee is safe but Jackson (which most people would want to combine for a trip) seems to get into majority operation right on Christmas much of the time. Bachelor, Steamboat and Vail are not as safe as the above areas but more consistent than Mammoth. Most other destinations are worse, thus my more general advice to hold off advance committed $ until after New Year's.

Well all I can say at this point is...when I'm skiing in drizzle this Sunday. I'll be wishing I was anywhere west...2 weeks till Whistler....things are looking good over there..

Back