Hunter this weekend?

Jem

Debating on Hunter this weekend, but looks like some rain and warm temperatures in the forecast. What's everyone thinking for Hunter's conditions this weekend?

A slight chance of some rain but temps will be warm so at least it will get bumped up..ergo..interesting...I'll be there Sunday on the semi powder boards..

kingslug":3tl0fymn said:
bumped up..ergo..interesting

Those aren't words that I'd use in the same sentence, but to each his own.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk 2

Well, round these parts its either flat groomers..ergo boring..or mogul runs...and as long as the knees are working and not hurting..I'm good to go...now all we need..is some friggin snow. 8)

bumps are like acne..ain't nothing interesting or pretty about them..

imagine if Claire's or Purna and 44 were buffed out..High speed GS turns down those runs, are a million times better than VW size mounts of ice..

Not sure I agree with that. A day of all groomers gets boring after a while. At many eastern areas: no steeps, no powder, inadequate snow cover in the trees, what else is there for challenge if you don't do terrain parks? Skiing is about diverse experiences, so I do get joegm's point. Some runs should have bumps (prepared or otherwise) just for a little variety.

Now that they groom Clairs regulary I have skied it a million times when its flat..ergo..boring. What I never liked was the Clair's of old..when they would just leave it and it was a death trap...at least now they knock it down, chew up the ice and blow the hell out of it, then let it bump up...have you thrown up yet just thinking about this...Admin.... =D>

kingslug":alkqp2ww said:
have you thrown up yet just thinking about this...Admin.... =D>

My 46-year-old knees ache just thinking about it.

i will never back down from my dislike of eastern bumps..90% of the time they are glare ice and the size of VW's..
i'm 50 and my back and knees just can't take it..

Admin":27q6i20v said:
kingslug":27q6i20v said:
have you thrown up yet just thinking about this...Admin.... =D>

My 46-year-old knees ache just thinking about it.

46..hmmm I remember when I was 46..seems like 2 years ago.....yoga...it really works..really..just you and 20 other people in a 105 degree room for 90 minutes twisting like a pretzle..and some of them be woman....well a lot of them are...

jasoncapecod":qqa57fhq said:
i will never back down from my dislike of eastern bumps..90% of the time they are glare ice and the size of VW's..
Yes, I like them sun-softened myself. My day at MRG was enjoyable because it was a 62 degree T-shirt day, sort of like June at Mammoth.

I just did my mid-month progress report last night. Once again I'm amazed that with just a few days or warm weather (in January yet!) a whole bunch of eastern ski areas have to close half their trails.

Tony Crocker":1dev7e9z said:
jasoncapecod":1dev7e9z said:
Yes, I like them sun-softened myself. My day at MRG was enjoyable because it was a 62 degree T-shirt day, sort of like June at Mammoth.

I just did my mid-month progress report last night. Once again I'm amazed that with just a few days or warm weather (in January yet!) a whole bunch of eastern ski areas have to close half their trails.
I'm amazed that many Eastern ski areas have had to close half their trails. Admittedly, we had three or four fairly warm days with some rain and snow-eating fog through last weekend, but even my local mountain in central NE only closed down one trail (out of 22 - maybe 2 or 3% of the skiable terrain). A few other trails definitely had bare spots, though.

Problem for many eastern ski areas is that the base has been fairly thin in most of NE. Not much real snow this Winter and not that many cold days and nights for snowmaking. Latest snow storm will help conditions and more cold weather is predicted.

And thats Hunter always outdoes everyone else..they blow the living hell out of the place every chance they get...they suffered very little damage and pretty much nothing closed...I may get tired of the place after many consecutive weeks but it still has the most to offer within 3 hours of me...

And thats Hunter always outdoes everyone else..they blow the living hell out of the place every chance they get...they suffered very little damage and pretty much nothing closed...I may get tired of the place after many consecutive weeks but it still has the most to offer within 3 hours of me...

fortunately for me it's only 1.5hrs

plus with a big lift card and 30% employe discount, it's affordable ..

Threw in the towel and just said screw it for MLK weekend..just not worth the drive..major cold front on the way with heavy winds and negative wind chills...6 days till Whistler...at this rate I may end up spending all my time out west...

Hunter was a zoo on saturday, but conditions rocked..
skied the the triple and lapped Racers and Ike, never waited on a line..

Cool..blew through so much money this week figured I'd save a few bucks for BC...can't wait...prolly should have gone up today though..or tomorrow..cold as hell up there now..

Back