Winter...is back

kingslug

Well at least for the next few days when this storm rolls in..looks like Connecticut and Boston are going to get squashed while NY and New England could get up to a foot...and I'm going to drive right into it... \:D/ Hunter and Plattekill then Killington...

ha ha ha...i used to chase the storm back east just like you but now i just spend my winter time in Utah skiing AltaBird. We're also getting a storm tomorrow, possibly a foot or two in the mountains. Bring it on.

I'm watching The Weather Channel right now. Good God, could they hype this thing up any further? For chrissakes, it's at max an 18-24" snow storm. Big freakin' deal. It's winter, it happens.

Good on you skiers and riders, though, for making the most of it.

Admin":k62updio said:
For chrissakes, it's at max an 18-24" snow storm. Big freakin' deal. It's winter, it happens.
Says the guy who has to call a tow truck to get his wife's car out of the driveway.

Admin":jtsne17e said:
I'm watching The Weather Channel right now. Good God, could they hype this thing up any further? For chrissakes, it's at max an 18-24" snow storm. Big freakin' deal. It's winter, it happens.

Yeah - I hear ya... though in my brief time back here it seems that it doesn't happen as often as it used to... and the sucky meltdowns seem to happen more often and suck worse than they ever did before. Maybe that's just my changed perspective talking, but I think there really is truth in it.

Yes, I’m trying to formulate a plan to get me some. Work and family commitments mean I am restricted to a day-trip from Boston, either Saturday or Sunday. Saturday will clearly be best for powder, but means leaving at 5am right in the middle of the storm. Realistically, even Sunapee will probably be a 3-hour white-knuckle slide-fest. And winds are a concern – major bummer to get there and find lifts on wind-hold.

Option 2 is Sunday. Better roads, weather and no wind risk (from what I see). The trick then will be to find an area with enough trees to poke around in for some seconds. VT, maybe even Killington, might be a possibility, but is a long day-trip and may get less than NH. So maybe Cannon/Mittersill. And I’ve never skied there, but I also wondered if there are many trees at Loon to explore. Depends on the track of the storm a little also.

Any ideas from the board?

Admin":1fniq4d1 said:

LOL, so true. I hate to be cynical but I always say NEVER underestimate the motivation of The Weather Channel and the local TV station to hype these storms so people will tune in 24 hours a day. I would say that, maybe, 10% of the time their predictions of total impending doom actually come true (e.g., superstorm Sandy). I think some older meterologists are still freaked out by the wrong forecast of the Blizzard of 78 in the Northeast, when almost 100 people died, some of whom froze to death in their cars that got stranded on the major highways in Mass and RI.

Of course, being the Northeast, rain is predicted for Monday. So we may get one day of good skiing. But, hell, my skis are waxed and ready to go.

Admin":36ka7erz said:
Says the guy who now lives where that much snow isn't that big a deal. NYC basically shuts down with 8" of snow. M.A.S.H. only needs 3" in the cities to be immobilized. So 18" really is a big deal for that area.

529712_10151416042548967_1913300633_n.jpg

Well...it turned into a very big deal as you can all see..east end of long island is still buried, conn and mass got squashed as I said. I had the best day of the season on Saturday with a foot of blower at Hunter, my first pow of the season and this includes my stay at Whistler. Took a bu trip to K on Sunday and 91 through connecticut was a war zone at 6 am, didn't think we would make it. There where cars and trucks buried all over the road, emergency vehicles eveyrwhere digging them out, very slow going...and all to ski on a lot of icy crap...Waiting for the next storm to hit Utah...as right now things are not very good after the thaw freeze...and 1 to 3 inches on the way for lovely..Long Island...I bet the people on the east end can't wait...

I agree it was uber-hyped, but it indeed ended up as bad as they predicted. All thoughts of heading north for some pow dissolved into the reality that 1) my house had no power ( went out Friday night, came back Tuesday), and 2) the roads (both local and highways) were in horrible shape, so even if I wanted to, it would be slow going. We got a solid 2 feet and it started as Sierra cement that plastered everything with a heavy goop. Add high winds and you get the disaster that we are still climbing out of.

To give you a sense of how this storm was above and beyond the normal nor'easter's we see here, these were taken Saturday afternoon as I was trying to get to a gas station to stock up on gas for the generator.

IMG_1537_zpsa30845c4.jpg

IMG_1538_zpse0b071a8.jpg

IMG_1539_zps151b1bc9.jpg

IMG_1540_zps073c15c2.jpg

IMG_1541_zps4e59768f.jpg

And then, Sunday morning bliss:

IMG_1542_zps2f1563d4.jpg

Trying to put together a trip towards the end of March with some people..but they way this month looks I just might fly out towards the end of Feb..as there is nothing but refrozen crap here..getting depressing...our Pow day lasted..1 day..then it all pretty much blew off and left...base.....

And it makes its return again...

Saturday Snow likely. Cloudy, with a high near 33. Chance of precipitation is 60%. Saturday Night Snow likely. Cloudy, with a low around 25. Chance of precipitation is 60%. Sunday A chance of snow. Cloudy, with a high near 33. Chance of precipitation is 40%. Sunday Night Mostly cloudy, with a low around 21. Monday Mostly sunny, with a high near 36. Monday Night Mostly cloudy, with a low around 22.

Might even be worth a trip to Hunter...maybe..my interest in Eastern skiing ..is getting less and less..

Back