Eastern Closing Thread 2012-13

Patrick

Time for my Annual Eastern Closing Thread

Go skiing this weekend!!! Great skiing still happening!!!
It’s that time again, time for Ski Mad World to look at his skiing options for the next few weekends. This is Part 1 of the 2012-2013 Eastern Closing Thread.
This first compilation took me a long time to prepare, so I’ll be short on words. There are many places to choose from this weekend. A snowy winter and cold Spring has helped preserved snow surfaces into April.
After last season’s mid-March Record Heatwave that killed the ski season for many areas; we entered the first weekend of April 2012 with only 20 ski areas still operating. This weekend we are looking at over 100 ski areas (almost half in Québec) across the East from Thunder Bay, Ontario to Labrador down to Virginia (Midwest not included).
For a good number of ski areas remaining, this is their last weekend. Go out and encourage them. I’ll be back late next week to give an update on who’s left for the second weekend in April. Hoping to continue the Eastern Closing thread well into May.
LIST OF 105 SKI AREAS TENTATIVELY OPEN THIS WEEKEND
http://madpatski.wordpress.com/2013/04/ ... 13-part-1/

Click link above to see complete list. It took a long time to compile and verify. I'll try to post an update towards the end of next week. Part 1 is always the longest.

Part 3:

Here is the latest version of Ski Mad World Eastern Closing Thread and detailed list of areas.

http://madpatski.wordpress.com/2013/04/ ... 13-part-3/

26 ski areas planning to spin this weekend (according I couldn't confirm the intension of 2 smaller remote areas in Northern Quebec and Labrador). Last year's pathetic Spring had only 3 ski areas open at this time.

Regional breakdown:

Ontario : 1
Quebec: 12
Newfoundland and Labrador : 1
New York : 2
Vermont : 5
New Hampshire : 1
Maine : 3
Pennsylvania : 1

Tony Crocker":10lm5dcb said:
Killington has resumed stockpiling Superstar to run later than early May?
According to a Kmart regular and insider, they plan a return this year to operating as long as possible.

Marc_C":1ogpcoig said:
Tony Crocker":1ogpcoig said:
According to a Kmart regular and insider, they plan a return this year to operating as long as possible.

As mentioned on the post from the blog, Kmart mentioned they were running daily until May 5th then going weekends only until "Black flies or Bust" ... going for June. I'm not saying, it was written on their site or FB page (Can't remember where I saw it). If that is the case, it is some turn around season and going back to what they made their name for.

yah,there are still many good places to ski in Quebec. I visited their once and I find Mont Tremblant stunningly beautiful. :-({|=

otisdelarosa":1wv1gqvc said:
yah,there are still many good places to ski in Quebec you can check here for more infos: :-({|=

What is the topic? Not debating about great skiing in Quebec, but what is still in operation.

Le Massif closed for the public with about 100% on April 7 - passholders got an extra 6 hours the following regardless of the extra snow.

Tremblant closed with excellent coverage on April 14. Why is Blue Mtn in Ontario open this weekend and Tremblant close? Okay, Blue is the only ski areas with 500 miles open. ](*,)

Ste-Anne has a fixed date...closing this Sunday.

Mont Miller is looking to open tomorrow if enough interest. Ottawa to Miller is the same time as me driving to West Virginia.

Mont Sutton decided to open an extra day tomorrow.

Where was Tremblant and Le Massif? It is a disgrace that Blue can open an extra 3 weeks more than Le Massif.

Le Massif faces southeast and has a very low base elevation. The snow down there might be quite unpleasant in spring. St. Anne is closer to the same population base and has a north facing chair with gondola transport access.

Tony Crocker":3e8jqt81 said:

Correct. With the management change, Killington is back to first-to-open, last-to-close. Today was the last day for the K1 gondola & Canyon Quad (no snow left on the flat connecting trails at the top). They're shrinking down to the Superstar lift on a 7-day schedule until May 5th. After that, they'll run on a Fri-Sat-Sun schedule for as long as they can. If it's an average May, they have a pretty good shot at making Memorial Day or beyond.

Somebody let a ghost in here.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk 2

My initial point was to the link above talking the virtues of Quebec skiing at Tremblant, MSA and Le Massif. Either he's totally off topic and is spamming something total irrelevant to the discussion?

Tony Crocker":3lcsk1mi said:
Le Massif faces southeast and has a very low base elevation. The snow down there might be quite unpleasant in spring. St. Anne is closer to the same population base and has a north facing chair with gondola transport access.

That workouts in theory, but when you still have Winter conditions and just received some extra snow. If I would have been a seasonpass holder, I wouldn't have bother going to ski 10-4 on their season special day on April 13. Quebec locals only had 2 ski areas to choose on that weekend (Massif du Sud and MSA).

They are smaller areas with no population based that have been running later. How do we explain the Saddleback, Mont Miller, Mont Edouard. I'm not even including the place next to towns like Mont Chalco, Le Valinouet, Smokey in Labrador, Mont Comi and Val d'Irene.

Oh yeah, I've been stuck local (ie. 15 minutes) do to other commitments, but managed a few fun turns on Saturday.

Geoff":zfim3jtm said:
Patrick":zfim3jtm said:
Corn Deep in May:
http://madpatski.wordpress.com/2013/05/ ... 13-part-6/

Down to MSS and Kmart...Mothers' Day and potentially beyond.

Killington is no longer on a 7-day operating schedule. They are on a Fri/Sat/Sun schedule until they run out of snow on Superstar. They are also running the lift until 5:00pm.

I simply posted a quick link. My post mentions that we are only talking Fri/Sat/Sun for K and weekend for MSS. I know that MSS will be spinning rain or shine Thurs to Sun...regardless of the rain forecast. There is a ski camp this week. Their website mentions that they would open if the weather is "not nice"...not snow related. Temperature are suppose to be back within averages ... it been really hot for the last week.

I just updated my blog with the latest info:

MSS is officially pushing for one extra weekend, instead of next weekend, they added an extra one: May 17-18.
Killington still June 2.

Back