LAURENTIAN (TREMBLANT)SNOW REPORT

Once you done with the Natural stuff and it's changes into Ice crystal it doesn't slow you down...maybe just the pills slush snow. Not everyone likes it, especially beginners.
I'm not buying it. Natural snow, after it's been baked for a few weeks, is probably just as dense and granular as manmade. Crystal last July 1 comes to mind. When any kind of snow is at that stage you need some pitch so that gravity overcomes the stickiness. Steeper runs are good; flat runs suck, which is certainly the way is was after 11AM or so today at Mammoth. Crystal has nice pitch so the skiing there was OK. Beginners by definition are on flat runs so of course they hate late spring snow.

No stickiness today either. I guess it just a coincidence that I've skied 3 May days and haven't found what you describe. Admin knows that Hill 70 isn't only pitch and isn't ever close in steepness on the stuff we skied at Crystal. :-" Half the run is green material.

Another weekend in Montreal with not enough time to go further to ski. Business stuff spilled over into Sunday morn.

30 minutes detour back to Ottawa after leaving Montreal past noon. Got 2.5 hours of skiing at MSS. Still about 4-10 feet on most of the trail. They might open next week if the weather (not necessarily snowpack) cooperates. They were suppose to open today, Victoria Day, but with 60% chance of showers, they remained closed. Judging on the amount of snow, I would say that June isn't totally impossible.

Didn't bring the camera on the hill with me. Snow looked pretty much the same as the previous Sunday. A few pictures from the bottom. Even saw one from a car with Vermont plates.

Mt St-Sauveur QC – May 19, 2013 : Encore??? There is still skiing???
http://madpatski.wordpress.com/2013/05/20/mt-st-sauveur-qc-may-19-2013-encore-there-is-still-skiing/

No bikini weather...that would have been Saturday. It was a Green, White and Gray Sunday at MSS.

You don't see many Green plates at MSS.

Après-ski hikers

MSS in the rain

Anthony":2zh5bda8 said:
Well, we had almost a 3 week stretch of above average skiing with over 4 feet of snow falling . Reality is back as the last 2 days have been nothing but low hanging clouds , fog , mist and rain . The snow pack is currently wet saturated snow with temps above the freezing point for over 24 hours . The best thing for the natural snow trails would be to stay off them and let them drain out prior to the inevitable freeze up which should take place within the next 24 hours. Upcoming weekend looks questionable as remains to be seen if any snow falls during the freeze up.

How about this month til next? any updates about Laurentian?

otisdelarosa":22o7sepp said:
any updates about Laurentian?

You got it just above with my post. That is it. That day was going to be the last liftserved ski day in the Laurentians, Quebec and Eastern Canada.

I still believe that they pull the plug too soon. Warm rain did some damage, but still think they might have been able to pull it off for one last weekend.

Hey Patrick , thanks for taking over the Laurentian post . First time checking in as my bike team has canceled the ride today along the border due to rain and yes snow in the higher elevations of NY /VT . Not like us skiers who go out in everything :-D . Heard that snow was accumulating above 2000'

Anthony":11v8vbqm said:
Well, we had almost a 3 week stretch of above average skiing with over 4 feet of snow falling . Reality is back as the last 2 days have been nothing but low hanging clouds , fog , mist and rain . The snow pack is currently wet saturated snow with temps above the freezing point for over 24 hours . The best thing for the natural snow trails would be to stay off them and let them drain out prior to the inevitable freeze up which should take place within the next 24 hours. Upcoming weekend looks questionable as remains to be seen if any snow falls during the freeze up.

Thanks to this update, Is it possible to ski there by next month? :roll:

otisdelarosa":2xp9yp9n said:
Anthony":2xp9yp9n said:

Thanks to this update, Is it possible to ski there by next month? :roll:

Avila is connected to MSS. Possible to ski? I heard that someone on ZSki made a turn or two last weekend on the remains of the Akamp snowcamp camp held from June 26 to July 1. Here is what it looked like on June 30/July 1.

Avila QC : June 30/July 1, 2013 : Turns under the influence of prescription drugs!!!
http://madpatski.wordpress.com/2013/07/ ... ion-drugs/

I was wondering when Patrick was going to get a link here to the Mt. Avila reports. In a few days I might have done it for him. :p Another close call for The Streak.

Tony Crocker":2sjw5y06 said:
I was wondering when Patrick was going to get a link here to the Mt. Avila reports. In a few days I might have done it for him. :p Another close call for The Streak.
As stated in the TR, health has been an ongoing issue and priority for myself. August is going to make or break it, unless I get better very quick. If I feel up to it, it might come down to one weekend trip à la October 2007 for a return visit to a place which hasn't been planed since that initial family vacation back in Aug/Sept 2006. I'm seeing the doctor again next week.

The initial goad was 12...I'm up to 94. However I've had a few new goals inside the streak which I would like to reach before maybe stopping it.

Back