What Happened to the Season Recap Thread?

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
Area Sum of Days Sum of Vertical Sum of Powder
Mammoth 18 423.7 32
Snowbird 7.5 164.5 22
Alta 2.5 38.3 11
Sun Valley 1 31.8 0
Fernie 1 21.3 2
Whitewater 1 18.3 5
Red Mt. 1 9.4 0
Big Sky 1.5 27 1
Kicking Horse 1 17.2 0
Whitefish 1 18.4 1
Bridger Bowl 1 16.7 3
Moonlight Basin 1.5 20.5 5
Revelstoke 1 17.3 3
Mustang Powder Snowcat 3 34.7 33
*Lech/Zurs, Austria 1.5 30.8 3
*St. Anton, Austria 3 60.1 5
*Stuben, Austria 1.5 17.9 2
*Klosters Madrisa, Switz. 0.5 5.3 0
*Davos/Klosters Parsenn, Switz. 1.5 42.8 9
*Davos Jakobshorn, Switz. 1 13.3 2
*Flims/Laax, Switz. 2 43.1 1
*Andermatt, Switz. 1 12.3 2
*Purcell Heliski 1 11.6 11
*Wild Horse Snowcat 1 7.9 7
*Beartooth Pass 2 9.1 0
*Logan Pass 1 0.7 0
Season Totals 59 1114.0 160
* = new area

2012-13 was closer to the year before I retired (53/1078.6/173) than to 2010-11 (72/1318.3/191) or 2011-12 (71/1151.6/291).

Those previous 2 years were unusual. 13 Northern Hemisphere days in May or later of 2011 is unlikely to be repeated soon. Nor are the 8 backcountry days in Oct/Nov of 2011.

Some factors reduced 2012-13. The local SoCal season was hopeless and it's only the second season I've skied zero SoCal days. I also bailed out of 5 days on my destination trips (2 Europe, 1 on the big road trip and 2 after Iron Blosam week) due to adverse weather/snow conditions. OTOH 8 days at Mammoth in December was a record high and the last 3 days on the June/July vacation were also not typical. So I see future seasons in the 60 day range but 70+ will be much less likely.

I was also lucky with powder in those previous 2 years, with lift served powder in the 15% range vs. more typical 10%. 2012-13 got over 10% only due to that last minute Utah trip in mid-April.

I should also mention that Liz skied 15 new areas in 2012-13; my record is 13. She skied 38 days, easily beating her previous record of 29.

Tony Crocker":2j5f7t4m said:
What Happened to the Season Recap Thread?.
A whiny SLCer who rarely if ever skied past April 15 complained that starting the recap thread around April 15 was ruining FTO's street cred.

30 Days
4 Solitude, UT
1 Alta, UT
1 Brighton, UT
2 Plattekill, NY
1 Windham, NY
4 Belleayre, NY
2 Shawnee, PA
2 Camelback, PA
3 Ischgl, AT
1 See, AT
1 Kappl, AT
1 Galtür, AT
1 Samnaun, CH
1 Mount Spokane, WA
1 49 Degrees North, WA
3 Schweitzer, ID
1 Lookout Pass, ID

I think there was a consensus that May 1 was the logical starting time for the closing thread due to lift service being extremely limited after then. Early April during what is often still winter/powder season struck most of us as premature.

jamesdeluxe":2fukpw1t said:
Tony Crocker":2fukpw1t said:
What Happened to the Season Recap Thread?.
A whiny SLCer who rarely if ever skied past April 15 complained that starting the recap thread around April 15 was ruining FTO's street cred.
Nice list, but wtf are you talking about?

My totals are a bit odd compared to many recent seasons for me.

17 total days keeps me 1 day above my bottom of the barrel with the little guy around. I'm finally hopeful that I should be able to get a slow rebound in ski day numbers now that I can take him along for an hour here or there on some ski days... But frankly probably still quite limited in ski days for another year or two (he's only 3.5 right now).

Only 3 total resorts, 2 of whom I already have a huge number of ski days at:
Greek Peak 5
Eldora 11
Loveland 1

By Month
Nov 2
Dec 8
Jan 4
Feb 0
Mar 2
Apr 1

There was a new job starting on Jan 30th this year so I was out of the loop for a bit just as the season started to get good out here. I noted 2 powder days at Greek Peak of all places and one sort-of powder day at Loveland in March.

EMSC":30nt5jas said:
I still agree that April is too early for season tallys, even in the Northeast. I was specifically referring to:
jamesdelux":30nt5jas said:
A whiny SLCer who rarely if ever skied past April 15...
"Whiny SLCer" can be a lot of people O:) but the following clause is flat out factually wrong for anyone I know here.

119 Big Mt / Whitefish
2 Lookout Pass
1 Lost Trail Powder Mt
3. Big Sky

Surface conditions were consistintly soft Dec.- mid-mar. No deep day local,but plenty of soft boot high pow.
First time at Lost Trail,Thursday reopening with 27'' new.Super Duper!
Great corn snow last two weeks. Overall a fine ski year.

19 Discovery Basin
5 Big Sky

No new resorts this year. Already booked for next winter, fly out on the 18th March and home on the 21st April. Think I will ski 2 1/2 weeks at Discovery and a free week at Big Sky with a week still to fill.

Second year in a row affected by serious side issues even if it was a pretty good year snow wise here.

44 days...not sure if they be any more due to goes issues? This is probably going to be the second year in a row with under 50 days since 2003-04.

Started October 31 in West Virgina and last skied at Avila on July 1:

Here is the breakdown:

Edelweiss QC (Ottawa area) : 20
Fortune QC (Ottawa area) : 4
St-Sauveur QC (Laurentians) : 3 (all in May)
Ste-Marie QC (Ottawa area) : 3
Calabogie ON (Ottawa area) : 3
Mad River Glen VT : 2
Avila QC (Laurentians) : 2 (June and July)
Timberline WV : 1
White Grass WV : 1
Cascades QC (Ottawa area) : 1
Vorlage QC (Ottawa area) : 1
Sutton QC (Townships) : 1
Owl's Head QC (Townships) : 1
Orford QC (Townships) : 1

I haven't had a season (in a long time) with so little driving outside the region or so many days in ski area with small vertical.
Only 4 days out of 44 outside Canada. Only 12 days outside the region.

October : 1
November : 1
December : 7
January : 8
February : 9
March : 10
April : 3
May : 3
June : 1
July : 1

West Virginia : 2
Vermont : 2
Ontario : 3
Quebec : 37 (Ottawa QC side: 29 / Laurentians: 5 / Townships: 3)

32 Local

Detailed year here : http://madpatski.wordpress.com/ski-days/2012-13/
Detailed TR written so far here : http://madpatski.wordpress.com/ski-post ... 2012-13-2/

Patrick":okrt4m47 said:
Edelweiss QC (Ottawa area) : 20
Fortune QC (Ottawa area) : 4
St-Sauveur QC (Laurentians) : 3 (all in May)
Ste-Marie QC (Ottawa area) : 3
Calabogie ON (Ottawa area) : 3
Mad River Glen VT : 2
Avila QC (Laurentians) : 2 (June and July)
Timberline WV : 1
White Grass WV : 1
Cascades QC (Ottawa area) : 1
Vorlage QC (Ottawa area) : 1
Sutton QC (Townships) : 1
Owl's Head QC (Townships) : 1
Orford QC (Townships) : 1

I haven't had a season (in a long time) with so little driving outside the region or so many days in ski area with small vertical.
Tony will be along soon to give his opinion of Patrick's Ottawa-heavy season. [-X

jamesdeluxe":32xbw0x9 said:
Tony will be along soon to give his opinion of Patrick's Ottawa-heavy season. [-X
Little comment necessary; this has been going on for 3 seasons now.

Tony Crocker":q6ovkx8g said:
jamesdeluxe":q6ovkx8g said:
Apparently jamesdeluxe has taken on the role of :stir: this summer. Maybe the spectacular NE weather is taking it's toll on sanity?

Tony Crocker":1e1zmzsd said:
jamesdeluxe":1e1zmzsd said:

Exactly. Combination of oldest daughter in serious racing and health issues for both of us plus other crap (I didn't race the last 2). :-(

Her serious racing is over, she's looking into coaching next season ... as for myself, next season dynamics should be very different.

jamesdeluxe":1pk6k5eb said:
Marc_C":1pk6k5eb said:
Apparently jamesdeluxe has taken on the role of :stir: this summer.
I'd have to work long and hard to muscle in on your territory.
What ever do you mean? It's all flowers, chocolates, puppy dogs and unicorns here!

My season started with a torn meniscus Thanksgiving Day (walking to the gondola) and ended with arthroscopic surgery on April 25. I only skied Killington. The knee would come and go so I had weeks I skied a lot, weeks I'd only ski a day or two and just take a couple of runs, and weeks I didn't get out at all. I don't count days or vertical but I'm sure the vertical count was my lowest in decades. With all the sitting around, I got fat & out of shape.

Over the last 4 years, I've spent $200K out of cash flow doing home remodeling. That chewed into my ski trip budget. I was even turning down "free place to stay" trips because day tickets were off-budget. My traditional summer Chile trip ended. I'd be in Denver on business and wouldn't ski. Between American, United, Delta, and Southwest, I have about 600,000 frequent flyer miles. Now that all the big ticket remodeling is behind me, it's time to start using the miles again.

Geoff":2u0s06f7 said:
Between American, United, Delta, and Southwest,I have about 600,000 frequent flyer miles.
:shock:

Makes my 140,000 feel like tiddly winks. Unfortunately, 2/3 of my miles are on Delta, which was always great about providing lots of award flights at the 25K-level. That has changed, even on nonstops to SLC, which were historically gimmes for me.

Geoff,

Sorry to hear about the knee. It doesn't sound like anything resembling fun.

Geoff":2igvq3n0 said:
I've spent $200K out of cash flow doing home remodeling

Ummm... that's more than a remodel. Assuming you already had the land, you could build an OK sized place from scratch for that!

Back