What Happened to the Season Recap Thread?

EMSC":25xfhjdp said:
Ummm... that's more than a remodel. Assuming you already had the land, you could build an OK sized place from scratch for that!

Not to hijack the thread but yeah, at this point, it would have been cheaper to tear it down and rebuild it. ...and it's a very small cottage. "Reconstructing" is a more accurate description than "remodeling".

Examples:
For other people, "new roof" means you peel off the old asphalt shingles, put down new felt and ice & water shield, and nail on new shingles.

For me, "new roof" is a SawzAll, new ridge board, new rafters, new plywood deck, new soffit and fascia...
8001373573_baee4dd08e_z.jpg

For other people, "replace a door" is removing the old door assembly and sliding in the new door assembly.

For me, "replace a door" is rip the entire wall out. Replace the rotted sill, re-frame the wall including a bad corner post. Frame the door. Install new door. New sheet rock inside. Skim coat. Paint. New trim. New trim outside. Re-shingle. I had two of those door projects.
8204294807_b3a21ee36d_z.jpg

For other people, "remodel a bedroom" is paint and carpet. Maybe new window treatments.

For me, it was completely gutting the room. Install laminated beams to support new rafters. Replace the other half of the rafters that weren't done in the "new roof" project. Re-frame the exterior walls. Vault the ceiling. Replace the windows. Rewire. Insulate. Sheet rock. Skim coat. Paint. New trim. Then carpet.

In this photo, the only visible original items are the plywood sheathing on the exterior walls and the floor. Roof and walls were re-framed.
8470618819_bbe07f802e_z.jpg

Geoff":x4ythoos said:
it would have been cheaper to tear it down and rebuild it.

Wow. That's not for the faint of heart. I guess you must really like the location.

EMSC":e5msdf5v said:
Geoff":e5msdf5v said:
it would have been cheaper to tear it down and rebuild it.

Wow. That's not for the faint of heart. I guess you must really like the location.

Waterfront along the New England coast = no brainer.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk 2

Admin":12yih5ak said:
Waterfront along the New England coast = no brainer.

Not waterfront but on a private lane shared with two other houses so extremely private for a tiny house on a tiny lot. I can walk to my boat slip.

For the full thread hijack:

9154646822_471c517661_z.jpg

9152429917_9c670a1aa9_z.jpg

9152413255_0f75a55acd_z.jpg

9375196679_7416a1d88d_z.jpg

9375230061_021880a620_z.jpg

9375226609_a8f98507c5_z.jpg

9375235539_b336199099_z.jpg

9378039618_1791d7b537_z.jpg

9375215115_4a73ed85ac_z.jpg

9375218807_7466ab484f_z.jpg

9375206101_46e02fa13e_z.jpg

9377993930_0bdd206445_z.jpg

7777226702_b7515f1657_z.jpg

7765196170_646d46c8d6_z.jpg

Patrick":2vf1d8zj said:
[censored] that cat is pretty still.

That is a tiny place or your cat is huge. :mrgreen:

The cat waits patiently on the coffee table for cat treats. Small cat. Tiny cottage. 992 square foot cottage on a ~ 58' x 155' lot where 20' of the lot is the lane. ...and the property line runs down the middle of a 2-car garage.

Tony Crocker":1rtdfs3v said:
I note the 100 days by BobbyD in a below average Utah season. How many in 2004-05 and/or 2010-11?
This is Utah. The number of days anyone gets in is far more dependent on schedules, time off, injuries, other commitments, etc than it ever is on snow conditions or quantity.

Marc_C":uv1vbdm3 said:
Tony Crocker":uv1vbdm3 said:
I note the 100 days by BobbyD in a below average Utah season. How many in 2004-05 and/or 2010-11?
This is Utah. The number of days anyone gets in is far more dependent on schedules, time off, injuries, other commitments, etc than it ever is on snow conditions or quantity.

As was especially the case with Bobby this year.

MarcC":vake7y2d said:
The number of days anyone gets in is far more dependent on schedules, time off, injuries, other commitments, etc than it ever is on snow conditions or quantity.
That's why admin made it to 101 days in 2010-11 and had fewer than I did in 2011-12, right?

Tony Crocker":frag286x said:
MarcC":frag286x said:
The number of days anyone gets in is far more dependent on schedules, time off, injuries, other commitments, etc than it ever is on snow conditions or quantity.
That's why admin made it to 100 in 2010-11 and had less than I did in 2011-12, right?

Tony, I made it to 101 in 2010-11 because I had more time to do it - a longer season and a more permissive job situation. That was precisely what Marc_C was telling you. Bobby this season had some unique circumstances that I won't discuss here that gave him more time on the hill - which is also precisely what Marc_C was telling you.

job issues and a not to serious position on finding another location to work , added up to me skiing a large portion of every day or the entire day , from march 6th to april 26th with only 6 days off the hill , it's been a few years since putting together a string of weeks like that . it's easy living 25minutes from the tram to loose count of reality (especially when it's dumping) !! .....88days the season before , and the season before that i believe was one of the big years was 104 days , skied till aug. 10 that season

admin":3ugyht7y said:
a longer season
It's not an either-or situation. One's personal circumstances and the length/quality of the season both influence the number of ski days. The difference between BobbyD's 104 in 2010-11 and 88 in 2011-12 is mostly length/quality of the season, while the bump back to 100 this year is more personal. For some of the "powder snobs" in Utah I suspect the difference in ski days between the contrasting 2010-11 and 2011-12 seasons was larger.
Nathan Rafferty":3ugyht7y said:
Rafferty said destination guests "saved the day" this year [referring to the 10% decline in Utah skier visits in 2011-12]. Locals can be fickle and used to great powder days, he said, whereas destination guests have dates in mind for vacation and make the best of what the resorts offer.

Tony Crocker":1u9m6nct said:
admin":1u9m6nct said:
a longer season
It's not an either-or situation. One's personal circumstances and the length/quality of the season both influence the number of ski days.

Please use my entire quote, rather than a three-word phrase, so as to not take it out of context as you have intentionally done above.

Admin in total":1u9m6nct said:
Tony, I made it to 101 in 2010-11 because I had more time to do it - a longer season and a more permissive job situation.

Thus:
a. I contended that both a longer season and my personal situation contributed to the >100-day season for me. We actually agree on that point, so why are you arguing?
b. I further contend that the "quality" of the season makes no difference for me because even the disappointing 2011-12 season was better than a good year in 95%-plus other destinations. Marc_C said as much, albeit in a different way in his post above, as did Bobby in his post. When exactly was the last time you lived here??
c. Who do you think knows more about how and why I get a certain number of days in a season, you or me? :roll: How about Bobby, do you think that you know more about why Bobby does something than Bobby himself? How about Marc_C?

Stop arguing solely for the sake of doing so, it's extremely annoying.

I'm going to complain to the webmaster and head moderator about the poor behavior of the webmaster and head moderator.

Hey, on this site you get what you pay for! That would include the old-married-couple-like bickering.

Marc_C":3gn8ar10 said:
Tony Crocker":3gn8ar10 said:

It might not be a uniquely Utah case. If you are a dedicated skiers and live close to a ski areas, you'll be your days in no matter way and snow conditions aren't really going to affect that number much. At least not in my case, Marc C hits in bang on why numbers changed from year to year. In my case, it has dictated my season for as long as I remember. I know I'm not the only one locally that the main factor is availability to ski (injuries, schedules, etc).

Back