Skiing In Scotland

I forgot to update after my last post - thanks to anyone who voted. The Coire an Lochain photo finished in 1st place at the Edinburgh Mountain Film Festival and the Ben Nevis shot finished 2nd.

A few shots from the 2012-13 Scottish ski season so far....

2mfksxt.jpg

^ Skiing through the mist off the summit of CairnGorm 2nd Dec 2012

2k4pyx.jpg

^ Opening day and some of the steeper lines are already on. CairnGorm 2nd Dec 2012

11w3fc5.jpg

^ Taking flight into Coire Dubh, Nevis Range 2nd Feb 2013

348ks5i.jpg

^ Air time into Easy Gully, Nevis Range 2nd Feb 2013

351z88z.jpg

^ Summit Gully fun, Nevis Range 2nd Feb 2013

2d1pfo7.jpg

^ Exiting Easy Gully into Coire an Lochain, Nevis Range 2nd Feb 2013

16ghmb9.jpg

^ Getting first tracks in Diagonal Gully, Loch Avon Basin, Cairngorms 17th Feb 2013

bdnnv4.jpg

^ Heading for the valley floor and a frozen Loch Avon, Diagonal Gully, Cairngorms 17th Feb 2013

j0lds7.jpg

^Checking out the entrance to Castlegates Gully, Loch Avon Basin, Cairngorms 17th Feb 2013

2191j6d.jpg

^ Negotiating a misty Castlegates Gully, Loch Avon Basin, Cairngorms 17th Feb 2013

HighRustler":319bdp57 said:
The Coire an Lochain photo finished in 1st place at the Edinburgh Mountain Film Festival and the Ben Nevis shot finished 2nd.

Congratulations! =D> But I'm hardly surprised -- you do great work.

Fantastic photos.

Admin":21ffhx8q said:
WTF? How did that get there? Obviously I didn't write that...
I remember reading that years ago. Is Admin claiming that someone hacked into FTO Central and posted something under his name?

The date of that post predates the installation of phpBB, or current forum software. In all likelihood the migration script hiccupped.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk 2

Admin":y3atdb2b said:
The date of that post predates the installation of phpBB, or current forum software. In all likelihood the migration script hiccupped.

Admin, that what you said the last time. Seriously, this is the second time I get you with that old Irish TR. I know you didn't write, I had seen it a long time ago under a different user name.

Patrick":1zkyy5k7 said:
Admin":1zkyy5k7 said:

Admin, that what you said the last time. Seriously, this is the second time I get you with that old Irish TR. I know you didn't write, I had seen it a long time ago under a different user name.

I have no memory of that whatsoever. Then again I can't remember what I had for dinner last night, either.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk 2

Admin wrote:
Congratulations! But I'm hardly surprised -- you do great work.

Thanks Admin, glad you like the photos, I always enjoy following your TR's from Little Cottonwood. brings back great memories!

Skiing in Ireland is definitely one for the enthusiast, one of these days I'm hoping to bag a ski descent on one of the Scottish islands (Skye is the most likely although there are several other options) but the snow cover is often similar to your Wicklow mountains adventure :)

Patrick":25o5apmb said:
Thanks for the report. I knew there was skiing in Scotland, but you are correct about people's perceptions. When I went to California to go skiing, you would surprise by the amount of skiers, let alone people, that didn't know there was skiing in California.

So skiing in Scotland might not be so crazy after all...check out this report from 7 years ago from Ireland. :p And people call ME crazy!!! :lol:

Wicklow Mountains, Ireland - December 30, 2000

skiing in scotland was memorable for me, but I was so little that time that I don't even remember the place,I just remember it because I was with my dad.

A while back I posted some photos from the first few months of the Scottish'12-'13 season, here are some more from the latter half of the season.

23lkqrd.jpg

^Taking on the steeps above Strath Nethy, CairnGorm 3rd March 2013

1pec82.jpg

^Inbounds at Glenshee on a powder day 10th March 2013

2vtwg42.jpg

^ Fresh tracks under the Braveheart Chair, Nevis Range 16th March 2013

30i9axi.jpg

^ Skiing on a school night...midweek midnight turns in the lowly Lammermuirs (c 1,000ft), south of Edinburgh, 27th March 2013

2ymgjsx.jpg

^End of season turns, Gully No 5, Ben Nevis, 9th May 2013

I realize weather and snow are not often both cooperative, but for one of the world's more disparaged ski regions the terrain quality looks damned good.

Too bad no pics from admin's Irish report. :lol:

Thanks Tony, we've had mainly decent winters since 2008 after a few horrible ones in the mid 2000's. March 2013 was one of the coldest on record (for Scotland)We had snow to sea level lying around just before the end of the month. The SW hairdryers that typically bring warm, wet weather seem to be less prevalent and the Gulf Stream is often to be found south of the UK these days which has resulted in more weather systems coming from the north or the east. Both bring colder conditions here and are very welcome! :-D

Some early season shots from the 2013-14 winter here in Scotland - great conditions for early November!

2qbt8yh.jpg

^ Ski touring 2,000ft from the gondola at Nevis Range before the lifts open for the season 8th Nov 2013

2gyc1z8.jpg

^ First steep turns of the season high above Loch Avon, Cairngorms 9th Nov 2013

As you know I post the occasional Scottish ski photo on here and was wondering if you would like to help me? (again!) :bow:

Edinburgh Mountain Film Festival 2015 Photo Competitions

Voting for this year's EMFF photo competitions started on Thursday 22nd and runs for Two weeks. I have four images that have made it through to the finals this year and was hoping for some help :) given that my photos are the only ski related photos left in the competition.

Voting is simple, if you like my images and want to vote, click on the links below,'Like' the image and that's it! Most Likes wins. The competition is split into two categories, 'Winter In Wild Places' and 'In The Zone'.
The voting is via Facebook only(apologies, not my choice!) so you will need a Facebook account to register a vote. You can vote for one or more photos

Winter In Wild Places Click Here then 'Like' to Vote
Currently in 3rd place Due to a little oversight by the organisers, the photo below was added to the comp a day late,already almost 300 votes behind, so any votes would be greatly appreciated :)

^''Solo summit camp on the roof of Scotland' 2014 - Waking up to a heady mix of sunrise, moon and island peaks on the summit ridge of Aonach Beag looking towards the Mamores.

In The Zone Click Here then 'Like' to Vote
Currently in 2nd place but 150 votes behind the leader, so please vote if you like :)

^'Dropping in' - Dave entering North gully in the shadow of the Ben. Stob Ban, Mamores, Scotland March 2014

In The Zone Click Here then 'Like' to Vote
Currently in 3rd place

^'The cornice' - Jamie focusses on his first turn in No 2 gully (Grade II) on Ben Nevis April 2014

Hope you like the images and thanks for any votes! :)

Wondered where you had been.

I noticed you said you had 4 pics but only 3 linked on here? Particularly like the 1st one.

Back