FTO gets a facelift

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
By now you've probably seen the total makeover that FTO's main site received tonight, which goes hand in hand with the rebuild of the mobile site.

Critiques/kudos/problem reports are all welcome.

Admin":1s2yfsxd said:
Critiques/kudos/problem reports are all welcome.

If you insist :-D

Overall I like the clean look of the interface, but have two graphical items that bug me right away. I get grey "slash lines" if/where the picture for a headline story doesn't fit the expected dimensions. And the original noisy/pixelated logo icon at the top looks very out of place compared to the rest of the clean, and now dark, format. There may be other stuff to nitpick, but those two really stand out right away when I look at the front page now.

(FYI, I'm using Firefox 26.0 right now but also use Chrome at home where I haven't looked at the new format yet).

Appreciate it and I don't disagree, especially about the header image. That in particular was a quick and easy solution. I have other ideas as to how to address that.

It's a work in progress. I appreciate the feedback.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk

Yep, replace that header image posthaste. Use the following pic -- that way Bobby D will get advertising revenue every time someone enters the site.
:)

Alta_Backside.jpg

There you go Admin.

Have a reader contest to submit a first tracks pic of certain dimensions for the new header. Couldn't hurt.

I had issues with uploading pics Dec. 18. These were due to FTO's size restrictions, for which I got no warning message. The warning message probably shows when only some but not all pictures are oversize. If all pictures are oversize, FTO just reverts to the prior screen with no message. It finally dawned on me after trying multiple computers, including Liz' Mac.

Since disk space is so cheap now, it's probably time to remove the file size restrictions as most other sites of this type have done and have the uploader (or posting) software auto-resize so huge images don't blow out the sidewalls. It's a throwback to the last decade.

MarcC":3cds36nn said:
Since disk space is so cheap now, it's probably time to remove the file size restrictions as most other sites of this type have done and have the uploader (or posting) software auto-resize so huge images don't blow out the sidewalls. It's a throwback to the last decade.
+1 I'm fairly sure the software already does the auto-resizing if needed. It's quite clear that readers want pictures, as many of you reminded me before laptop when I wrote TR's on my trips and loaded the pics when I got home later. The size limits are a deterrent to some people posting pics at all (note jojo_obrien's report today) and a nuisance for the rest of us. You want more trip reports on FTO, make it as easy as possible for your users.

Tony Crocker":1kn3hlld said:
MarcC":1kn3hlld said:
+1 I'm fairly sure the software already does the auto-resizing if needed.

Not out of the box it doesn't. It requires that I modify the software to employ a Perl library to handle the resizing on the server side. I'm looking into it.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk

I gotta be honest, I'm not in love with the all black borders and black column on the left. I think there should be more delineation of sections. I think it could be cleaner, but then again I'm looking it at on Safari.

Back