Annoying Banner Ad

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
Today at the top of the Forum pages is a pic of an envelope with an exclamation mark and a blue button saying, "View Urgent Message." First time I was suckered into thinking it was a new PM format within FTO. Of course it's really more like those obnoxious spam e-mails trying get you to sign up for some service.

I suppose admin will say he has no control over the contents of his ads. And of course there's IP address geography. If only people skiing Aspen see this annoying crap, it's a small price to pay for being here. :p

Those are network ad placements that I have no control over. Had you gotten the domain name of the offending advertiser I could have blocked it, however.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk

OMG. An install page for a browser toolbar. This is evilness in it's most obnoxious form and why I use ad blocking software.

Ok, I can't keep endlessly blocking URLs. How about you just don't click on it?

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk

These ads seem to be a recent development. As MarcC noted they are a particularly insidious form of spam. How about you complaining to your ad source about keeping ads legitimate and transparent?

These ads seem to be a recent development. As MarcC noted they are a particularly insidious form of spam. How about you complaining to your ad source about keeping ads legitimate and transparent?

Tony Crocker":2siu4hs8 said:
On another forum (Supertopo), users are being blocked from the supertopo site by their security software, which is flagging ST as a malware site. ST of course is not serving malware, but the working theory is that there is a compromised ad somewhere in their ad stream that redirects to a server in Russia via javascript, and that is the malware server.

Hate to say it, but the people using ad blocking software have not had any problems. Yes, adblock et al impinge and affect the business model of sites like this and ST, but frankly I can't imagine spending any time on the web without adblock and flashblock. I no longer even realize that there are ads on many sites.

Back