Newbie... ski jacket advice

sohobaby

I'm a newbie who caught the love for skiing last winter. I decided to invest in a real ski jacket. Looks and fit wise I'm in love with an Orage Felina jacket, which seems to be a mid-level ski jacket, not top of the line, but the price was certainly more than a Columbia "masters" skier jacket. I did some research to read up on the topic, so I know more about the issues of breathability, and waterproofness, but I would appreciate your advice. Am I getting ripped off?

Shell fabric Nylon (is this good?)
Insulation Polyester (?)
Lining Nylon mesh/polyester
Waterproofing Waterproof, breathable laminate
(there's no detachable layer)

15,000mm waterproof
10,000mm breathability
Removable hood.
Critically seam sealed. (not all)
Pit zips.

I know I'm not the top of the range skiier who'd need all the special features for now, but for the price of CAD$360+tax I'd like to think I was getting value for money.

Thanks for your help!

sohobaby":33qapqah said:
I'm a newbie who caught the love for skiing last winter.

Welcome, sohobaby, both to our forums and to "the addiction."

Now, about your Orage Felina jacket. I just looked it up myself, because material labels like "nylon shell" and "polyester insulation" mean little. It's how the nylon is woven, and how the polyester is spun, that means everything.

The shell gains its waterproofness/breatheability through an Entrant XT coating. While I'm a fan more of membranes (Gore-Tex, etc.) than I am of coating, this is a name-brand process for waterproofing and maintaining breatheability, and is reputable.

The "polyester insulation" is actually 3M's Thermolite Active -- good stuff, with excellent insulation to weight ratio, but the "Active" thickness is not as warm as some others. If you're not someone who generally gets cold easily, this will likely be comfortable for you. It, too, is an excellent brand.

"Internal powder skirt" = good

"Mesh-lined storm hood with volume adjusters and visor shields you from the elements or zips off when not in use" = good

"Underarm vents zip open for increased breathability, while mesh inserts help keep wet snow at bay" = good

"Soft brushed inner collar and microfleece chinguard won't chafe against your skin" = good

Generally, Columbia products tend to be less technically constructed. I suspect that the extra investment is a good one.

Now for one key point:

sohobaby":33qapqah said:
Am I getting ripped off?

Hmmm...you tell me. :wink:

Closeout at REI: $199.93 USD (approx. CAN$239.76) based on today's exchange rate plus the typical 2% credit card exchange fee):
http://www.rei.com/outlet/product/47913673.htm

The Orage Felina 3 is even $20 less:
http://www.rei.com/online/store/Product ... t=datafeed
(appears to be an uninsulated version)

While you'd be paying $20 shipping (Canadian Air Parcel Post), and running an incredibly small risk of having to pay import duty, you're saving the PST that you northern neighbors pay (you still get gigged for the GST). Canadian shipping info is here:
http://www.rei.com/shared/help/intl_ord ... oreId=8001

And lest you be wary, REI is more or less the equivalent to MEC, a Canadian firm that you may be familiar with. They're the height of reputability.

Happy shopping!

Sohobaby,

I bought a Mountain Hardware jacket and pants combo last season that I like a lot. Mountain Hardware stuff has all the fancy high end technical contruction features, but are generally significantly less than some of the other high end brands. It uses it's own proprietary waterproof/breathable membrane that in my experience is a little more breathable than standard Gore-tex. These are shell garments only, you will need to layer up with fleece or something similar underneath of them, depending on the temp. I like this kind of setup because on warmer days I can ski in just the shell and a T-shirt if I want to. My jacket was~$200US and pants ~$160US. I bought at a full price outdoor store, you may be able find a better sale prices on the internet.

Happy skiing
Swinster

Wow, thanks for the detailed reply guys! I feel really welcomed. :D

Hehe, yah I checked out REI too... what can I say, I'm vain as well :oops: ... I want my baby blue one. They didn't have the colors I wanted on the REI site.

Thanks again!

The addiction begins... Wait till you try snowboarding. :D

Here's another great place that makes wonderful technical layers... I bought one of thier fleeces a couple of years ago and it's incredible... and cheaper than some namebrands.

Melenzana in Leadville ... great place... they make there stuff right there in the back and are very nice people... if your ever in Leadville they are on the main drag.

P.S. Welcome to the passion! :twisted:

Back