Jay Peak VT March 7 , 2014

Anthony

Skied Jay yesterday after arriving Thursday afternoon. Started just before 9.00 am under clear conditions , lots of sun , no clouds with winds out of the south west . Temps rose to just under the freezing mark, keeping the snow dry . Overall , the conditions were hard packed snow with some loose snow on top . Glades skied ok some sections scraped down exposing roots and rocks . More popular glades showed more signs of wear and tear . Best snow was outside the ski area boundary on state side . In this area we found soft snow with lighter traffic . Open bump runs like UN provided a good work out with hard packed bumps but not icy . Groomers were Jay Peak typical , blown down to their icy granular artificial base . As always Can Am was the worst even had warning signs posted about loosing your edge and going into a dangerous slide. Who would go to Jay for the groomers anyway . Some trails were already showing signs of spring like Power line with its tilt into the sun exposing numerous rocks . This trail does not have much time left. Overall , coverage is not that deep . A warm spell and skier traffic will expose more rocks and roots in the woods. Ski it while you can . The snow depths at Jay were in line with the Mount Mansfield stake which is currently at 62 inches at a elevation of 3900 feet.

HA!!

I was expecting a Laurentian TR. I did a day trip to a small mole hill known as Mont Sauvage yesterday. Even got lost driving through Montfort.

We are leaving on Spring Break this week, so the Sauvage TR would be posted until I get back.

Hey , were you at Sauvage today . Will be there tomorrow . Would have been there today but stayed over at a friends house at Jay. How is it holding up . Getting off the Jay topic :)

Anthony":1jo4wrln said:
Hey , were you at Sauvage today . Will be there tomorrow . Would have been there today but stayed over at a friends house at Jay. How is it holding up . Getting off the Jay topic :)

No, I was at Sauvage yesterday Friday. I was at Ste-Marie today and Cascades tomorrow then off to Spring Break (pronanly somewhere in VT) before a Ste-Marie and Edelweiss next weekend. Race season is winding down.

Patrick":3ed2o15d said:
We are leaving on Spring Break this week
Hmmm. Patrick's kids are on spring break. I wonder where they could have gone for some quality skiing at a bargain price this week? :-k :-k :-k

Tony Crocker":25ezowdt said:
Patrick":25ezowdt said:
We are leaving on Spring Break this week
Hmmm. Patrick's kids are on spring break. I wonder where they could have gone for some quality skiing at a bargain price this week? :-k :-k :-k

:rotfl: :rotfl:

Leaving late afternoon and we have to be back in town on Friday. The plan is to checkout Middlebury Snowbowl one day and two days at Mad River Glen.

Bargain : check
Great snow : check
Promising forecast : check
Fat skis (okay, midfat) in the car : check

:popcorn:

In terms of both quantity and quality, Adam, Ben, Eddie and Mark Meisner skied 41,800 vertical today, of which 3/4 was powder.

If it's tracked it's not powder. I therefore find your 75% figure to be incredulous in any lift served environment.

Adam's definition of powder is usually more restrictive than admin's. What percent of powder would admin claim at Alta on 3/11?

Tony Crocker":34j7ooeg said:
Adam's definition of powder is usually more restrictive than admin's. What percent of powder would admin claim at Alta on 3/11?

Like I said, it would have to be untracked for me to claim "powder" so maybe 3% tops.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Tony Crocker":3acjp3nj said:
In terms of both quantity and quality, Adam, Ben, Eddie and Mark Meisner skied 41,800 vertical today, of which 3/4 was powder.

What would have the cost of that to ski at the same location versus what I've been skiing. :-k

100% powder today. First tracks at a number of places. Best day of the season so far. Still puking hard and really hard to drive right now.

admin":38q2yilg said:
Like I said, it would have to be untracked for me to claim "powder" so maybe 3% tops.
All these Alta reports and pics we've been reading for years looked like powder to me. I guess admin needs to throw down for the cat or heli if he really wants to ski powder.

Completely unnecessary for I get heli quality often enough. We just have differing definitions of what constitutes "powder."

Admin":35zwi2ih said:
We just have differing definitions of what constitutes "powder."
Another Tony/Admin pissing contest that needs to be split into it's own thread!
Personally, it can be tracked and still be powder, imho. Completely chewed up, even if still soft, is another matter.

Jay is claiming 30 inches from yesterday's storm... anyone there to reality check that?

ImageProxy.mvc

Jay Peak hypes their reports but what the heck, they got snow and that is what counts . Just couldn't escape the real world to go skiing this week and now we got rain in the forecast on Saturday with one of the those west to east tracking systems dragging the warm air northwards followed by a freeze up Saturday night. Welcome to the east .

jamesdeluxe":2lbqcl1a said:
Jay is claiming 30 inches from yesterday's storm... anyone there to reality check that?

I was at MRG for the last 2 days. We got maybe 1-2 inches of fresh at Middlebury on Tuesday.

I just looked at the MRG. "22 inches from the storm over 30 from the week." I would say it probably pretty legit, Montpelier received 18". Fun tracking snow on the roads. I need to find time to write a TR, but I'm skiing both days this weekend.

MarcC":lycp7wc8 said:
Personally, it can be tracked and still be powder, imho. Completely chewed up, even if still soft, is another matter.
That's pretty much my definition. The 90-100% estimates are highly questionable not because of how much is tracked but because of traverses to and runouts from the powder fall lines. Alta is Exhibit A of this, even though no question said traverses and runouts contribute to the powder lasting longer in the day.

Back