Hunter, NY: 01/10/15

jamesdeluxe

Administrator
002.jpg

^^ My only pic!

Jason and I headed up to the Catskills for what I'm pretty sure was my very first-ever visit to Hunter on a weekend. On the way up, we laughed about the inevitable return to reality after skiing at a huge Alps ski region.

Temps were in the mid-teens and skies were clear, so Hunter's vaunted snowmaking was in evidence literally all over the hill. We had a great time tracking up mounds of gunpowder on top of a rock-hard base. By 10 am, the main six-pack lift had 10-minute waits, so we did a bunch of laps off the D lift, about 20 yards away, which was ski-on.

Obviously, we'd rather be skiing on natural, but this is exactly the type of situation where Hunter excels and you can't say that they're not putting their money where their marketing is.

jamesdeluxe":108b2fn2 said:
By 10 am, the main six-pack lift had 10-minute waits, so we did a bunch of laps off the D lift, about 20 yards away, which was ski-on.
As long as you understand this, it's not difficult to ski Hunter on weekends without lines. Ski the six pack from 8:30 until 10. Then ski D, F and/or Z (west side) - at least 2 of those usually have no line.

SKI-3PO":3omf0z1d said:
As long as you understand this, it's not difficult to ski Hunter on weekends without lines. Ski the six pack from 8:30 until 10. Then ski D, F and/or Z (west side) - at least 2 of those usually have no line.
Yep, exactly what we did up until leaving at 1:30. The west side was a bit scratchy so we kept doing laps on lower K-27 and Broadway to Racer's Edge, Ike, or Gunhill, which were nice and gunpowdery. Hunter ain't an attractive mountain and the demographics are interesting (lots of eastern europeans). It's a skiing version of going to a well-run gym.
:-D

I know that Jason was missing the 5,000+ vertical drops of Zermatt, but he didn't complain, so good for him.

I know that Jason was missing the 5,000+ vertical drops of Zermatt, but he didn't complain, so good for him.

Zermatt it's not, but I still had a great time!!
Could be a lot worse, I could live in Fla or Ohio..

Back