Tremblant Laurentian Ski Report 2014/2015

Anthony

Back for another year as delayed in starting this because wanted to start with some good news, so the good news is it can't get any worse. Before the rain over the last two days we had about 6 inches of snow on the ground and now we have none so it can't get any worse as we are back to the beginning. The only skiing available since the start of the season have been the artificial snow groomer runs. Big disappointment as we worked hard this fall to organize the natural alpine snow trails in the mid Laurentians. So far we have lost about 6 weeks of skiing with the meter still running.
CONDITION STATE
Snow latest 24h 0 cm
Snow latest 48h 0 cm
Snow on the ground 2 c

At least by the snowfall and percent open numbers, northern New England had a very good December until the recent rain. Not much of that snow must have gotten across the border. I did notice that the percents open at Ste. Anne and Tremblant were lagging New England.

Tony Crocker":3b4k311x said:
Not much of that snow must have gotten across the border.
The recent downpours caused temporary closures to ski areas all the way north to Mont Edouard in the Saguenay.

Even though the OP of this Zoneski TR mentions that the rain did serious damage to conditions, the photos show coverage in the trees and flatlands around the mountain, so apparently the Eastern Townships got some of the New England snow.
http://www.zoneski.com/forum/index.php/ ... -relaxant/

CONDITION STATE
Snow latest 24h 0 cm
Snow latest 48h 0 cm
Snow on the ground 0 cm
Tremblant Park snow stake is now at zero. Heading into January with just the artificial trails and that is it .

OK,back from the west and back to looking at our natural 500' vertical natural snow trails. Whatever,skiing is skiing as long as it is steep and deep. Conditions are improving as it hasn't rained in a few weeks so the snow pack is building up. Tremblant Park is reporting a base of 43cm while the mid Laurentians are at 55 cm. This base is below normal but at least it opens up the low angle natural snow trails. Good foot of powder over the balance of the snowpack which is frozen solid from the last thaw /freeze event. Just a reminder ,report is on natural snow skiing only as snow gun trails (like Tremblant) are fine and ski like any other eastern big mountain trails.

Snowpack out in the hills is now averaging about 3 feet so all natural trails are open with caution as another foot would be ideal as the odd stump is still out there. Last weekend was prime with another 4 inches yesterday. The constant cold temps is helping maintain the dry snow. Snow base is below normal but still quality snow . Gave up on hiking and have gone with trekkers and skins for the first time with my alpine equipment. Seeing more options to use this equipment locally.

Interesting year as there has been no major storms yet the snowpack is almost 4 feet since late December when it was at zero. The constant cold temps have preserved the small snowfalls that have occurred over the last 60 days leaving us with a base almost 4 feet deep. This amount is under average but with no freeze/thaw cycles the quality of snow is very dry. Yesterday,went touring and skinning and found powder snow even though it has only snowed about 4 inches in the last 2 weeks. Ski touring with alpine descents is becoming more popular. Mont Plante and La Reserve now offer Alpine trails where you have to earn your turns. Good alternative to the 12,000 skiers at Tremblant on a Saturday.

This thread confirms my impression that the Laurentians are not the home of abundant snowfall if it's still low tide at the end of February in an excellent season like this one. If you're interested in skiing powder in East, be it lift serviced or backcountry, it seems to me that you should look to Vermont or the Quebec City region (Le Massif, Massif du Sud,, Saguenay areas, etc.). It's once in blue moon you'll see 6+ inches of new snow in a region that averages only 100-150 inches a year.

Tony Crocker":1slz6qag said:
This thread confirms my impression that the Laurentians are not the home of abundant snowfall if it's still low tide at the end of February in an excellent season like this one.
Has anyone ever claimed the Laurentians to be a powder destination? Similar to saying "after years of research, I've concluded that Keystone is not the best place in Colorado to ski deep untracked snow."
:-"

Once again: it's been an excellent season in terms of preservation, not in terms of snowfall. I haven't looked at the forecast for Quebec, but south of the border, they're forecasting a midweek mixed event, our first in a long while.

Correct ,not saying the Laurentians are a powder destination and agree with Tony on snow fall rates. Our plan is to make the best of what is in the backyard which means avoiding commercial ski areas . The powder is out there but you will not find it from a chairlift. Snow preservation is key and with morning temps often below -30 C, you will find the dry powder . The last time I was on a chairlift was at MRG in early February.

Back