Plattekill, NY 02/28/15

jamesdeluxe

Administrator
As Jason and I turned into the winding access road leading to Plattekill, the temp was a brisk -8F and we noticed that there wasn't a ton of snow on the ground. While booting up in the lodge, we saw that the ski area is actually a foot or two below average right now, but conditions and coverage were excellent due to the fact that there hasn't been a thaw/refreeze in many moons. The rumors are true -- the northeast is the 2014-15 North American poster boy for outstanding snow preservation.

004 (1024x768).jpg

The natural snow trails were absolute perfection.

003 (1024x768).jpg

002 (976x682).jpg

016.JPG
Harv approves

Today had to be the biggest crowd I've ever seen at Plattekill: a couple times, we saw up to 15 people waiting for the double. Still, you'd rarely run into anyone on the trails.

009 (1024x643).jpg

Jason brought his own sardines because, go figure, ski areas don't serve them.

008 (1024x768).jpg

To underscore the preservation factor -- this is I don't know how many days after the last snowfall. Pix from Harv:

Chris.jpg

Bumps-on-Plunge.jpg

Bumps on Plunge with zero scratch in the troughs

And Moguljunkie:

IMG_4015.jpg

How far a drive is this area from the Tapenzee Bridge over the Hudson? Have family in this area so you never know.

I live 10 mins from the Tappan Zee.
It's about a 2hr drive more or less...

The place is a real gem..Just wish they sold sardines.. 8)

Looking good for Upstate NY conditions.

As a life long racer chaser I just can't not mention that I see some very narrow stances in those pics.... [-( :bow:

Have no idea how given all the random and usually tiny hills all over the NE that I have been to, but never have skied Plattekill. Only heard good things about the terrain though.

As a life long racer chaser I just can't not mention that I see some very narrow stances in those pics.... [-( :bow:

I was just mentioning this to James..I know I need to change, but how?
This is me, and I'm not happy about it..

Attachments

• file-1.jpg
    file-1.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 26,556
  • file.jpg
    file.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 26,541
EMSC":vwcsdaie said:
never have skied Plattekill. Only heard good things about the terrain though.
A consistent 1,100 verts. I'd go more often if there were another 500 or so stacked on top of it. :)

jasoncapecod":136zrqyi said:
I know I need to change, but how?

It is of course up to you to focus on and actively try to make any changes. From 2 pics and 2000 miles away I would initially say hyper focus on: Feet and knees shoulder width apart at all times. It may help to actually over exaggerate the width initially so that you can come back to a 'normal' separation.

If all else fails you can literally duct tape a nerf ball (say a football) to one knee for a day or so to force it ;)

Highly related is you appear in those pics to have your feet never being independent. Each foot and leg should be independent enough to be able to absorb it's own slightly different terrain/snow surface/etc... try things like physically lifting your inside ski all the way up to knee height of the outside leg in the turn for a full run here and there.

What is this? Epicski?

Jason didn't mention it, but that was his first day on new boots and it was 0 degrees when those pix were taken: stiff, unbroken-in boots? Or is that irrelevant? :-D

jamesdeluxe":1vochdoc said:
What is this? Epicski?

Jason didn't mention it, but that was his first day on new boots and it was 0 degrees when those pix were taken: stiff, unbroken-in boots? Or is that irrelevant?

I actually thought of putting a suggestion to post at Epic as tongue in cheek, but figured that would be too snarky, lol.

New boots and cold temps shouldn't affect things as to my recommendations above. But would affect forward flex and other aspects of turning a lot more.

jamesdeluxe":29cmczlx said:
Jason didn't mention it, but that was his first day on new boots and it was 0 degrees when those pix were taken: stiff, unbroken-in boots? Or is that irrelevant? :-D
Irrelevant. That stuff has nothing to do with skiing with your knees bolted together.

Conditions were really good period.

It was amazing to see a deck scene going on in 20 degrees. I guess people are so used to it being so much colder it felt pretty warm.

Great to see everyone. Been a long time since I skied with Jason! Good crowd too.

jasoncapecod":g33fgsil said:
=; It was the angle of the photo that gives you the perspective of my narrow stance.. :wink:
Yeah, keep repeating that to yourself!
What color is the sky in your world? :-o

Back