R.I.P. Skrad

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
I just learned the name of the victim from today's deadly avalanche on Gobblers Knob. It was our own Skrad. Good God,I just skied with the guy yesterday, and we talked about how our 50th birthdays are both coming up on the same day later this month. This one's way too close to home. Doug, I'll miss your enthusiasm, and the hill will seem empty without you. R.I.P., my friend.

ksl%20photo.png

http://www.firsttracksonline.com/2016/0 ... avalanche/

Crap !!!

My deepest condolences to his family and friends. And for everyone else out there, ski safe. :-(

Sorry to hear about your friend. Be careful out there everyone as this is looking like a bad year for avalanches.

Horrible news. So sorry for all his family and friends dealing with his loss.

Awful news. My condolences to all family and friends.

Admin, I suspect you were up late. Your article is frank, informative and touching and is a fitting tribute to your friendship with Skrad.

Let's be careful out there.

FYI, Doug's memorial service is scheduled for 5 p.m. this afternoon at Our Lady of the Snows church in Alta. All are invited to attend.

Admin":15b68wl7 said:
FYI, Doug's memorial service is scheduled for 5 p.m. this afternoon at Our Lady of the Snows church in Alta. All are invited to attend.

The event was a wonderful celebration of Doug's personal (ski) and remarkable professional career. Tales were shared, with the laughter and tears that accompanied them. Tyson presented a slide show of skiing with Doug, and as if on cue, snowfall began falling in earnest halfway through the celebration. I think that it was cathartic for all who attended.

I guess we may want to file this under the "it's a small world department", but I just found out that Doug Green attended and graduated from the same small high school in Massachusetts that I attended. Our times did not overlap (I'm older), so I never knew him. I realized this yesterday when I received the latest alumni magazine and there was a long obituary on Doug. As I started to read the obituary, I realized that this was Admin's friend who was killed this past Winter in the avalanche in the Utah back country and is the subject of this thread. The obituary mentioned that he was a very avid skier, even in high school. He was an outstanding student, receiving the award at graduation as the top student, academically, in the school. He then went on to Dartmouth and UVM medical school. Everyone who knew him or worked with him extolled his virtues both as a physician and as a human being.

I will try to post the link to the obituary when it is available online.

berkshireskier":3qiuw6v2 said:
I will try to post the link to the obituary when it is available online.

Please do, I'd like to see it.

By yet another coincidence, just yesterday Doug's ski was found at the toe of the debris pile in BCC.

Attachments

• 13321822_1227633437281398_2964189350045811294_n.jpg
    13321822_1227633437281398_2964189350045811294_n.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 9,392
Here is Doug's obituary. I hope this works.Two PDF attachments. You may have to rotate one of the attachments. Sorry.

Attachments

• 6-7-16-Scan.pdf
    682.8 KB · Views: 709
  • 6-7-16-2-Scan.pdf
    615.7 KB · Views: 710
Back