Tremblant 3/01/2016

mitch28

After a lacklustre start to the season (just like the rest of the east), Tremblant has definitely been one of the luckier resorts lately. Despite rain in Montreal, Tremblant received 31 cm of snow Tuesday overnight, and another 10 cm throughout Wednesday morning. I arrived at the hill at 7:30, picked up my first tracks ticket and loaded the Duncan chair at 7:55. After two runs from the top in knee deep, fluffy snow, I waited in line for the Expo lift and got the first chair at 9. Dynamite and Expo were as good as they've been all season, and even the steep pitch of Dynamite was fully skiable for the first few runs. I bounced back and forth between the Expo and Edge chairs all day until my legs gave out at 2 pm after 15 runs. The hill was tracked out by 11 am (as is typical for Tremblant) but the runs stayed soft all day, only showing ice in the busy areas. Tremblant is reporting 171 inches YTD, which not only is above average but fairly impressive given the slow start.

mitch28":m2tkuwv2 said:
Tremblant is reporting 171 inches YTD, which not only is above average but fairly impressive given the slow start.
Are any other ski areas in Quebec above average this season? I'm guessing Mont Edouard and Valinouet have been north enough to get snow when everyone further south was getting soaked.

Not sure where Tremblant is measuring their snow but this stat is not correct (171 inches YTD). Back on Feb 4th there was less than 2 feet of snow on the ground with lots of rain. We had a few good days but the snowpack never built up. On feb 19th a storm gave the Laurentians a foot and a bit more at Tremblant . Then this week Tremblant received another foot while the rest of the lower areas received about 10 inches. Maybe inches or being mixed up with cm's. It has been a sub par season in the Laurentians with the last two storms making the season appear better than it is.

Their site says 435cm, don't shoot the messenger! Obviously a lot of that snow was lost due to the rain, but right now the coverage is as good as I've seen it there in at least a few years. Sunday night's snow then freezing rain event made skiing unpleasant Monday but did wonders for the base.

Maybe they add in their snow from their snowmakers :lol: . Honestly, as a natural snow skier have had difficulty this year finding deep enough snow with a hit and miss season up until the high profile feb storms. This weekend should be good for hiking and skiing as temps are cold. Next week rain on the way with warm air so now is the time.

Back