Hoch-Ybrig Ski Safari: 03/11/16

jamesdeluxe

Administrator
For my final ski day in Schwyz, I only had a few hours of turns left in my aching legs, so I decided to try the ski safari that connects Mythen with neighboring Hoch-Ybrig (pronounced HOKE EEH BRIG), which isn't on the regional Swiss Knife Valley ski ticket (unless you buy a season pass). The route claims to be nine miles in length but felt longer. The point of something like this isn't necessarily to ski challenging terrain or shralp powder, but to travel a healthy distance on skis and admire the beautiful scenery. You get one lift ride on certain lifts that enable you to complete the circuit in a little less than three hours, more if you stop for a meal.

SkisafariG (Copy).jpg

Skies were bright blue until the early afternoon when clouds moved in, which would've made the safari a lot less interesting, so I'm glad that I got out early. Like the two previous days, I started at the Handgruobi t-bar 100 yards away from my hotel:
001 (Copy).JPG

003 (Copy).JPG

Beer tent at Grossenboden:
004 (Copy).JPG

Continuing uphill:
005 (Copy).JPG

Brünellistock and the first Ski Safari sign in orange. Extra points for it looking homemade!
009 (Copy).JPG

A fork in the road:
011 (Copy).JPG

I skied right by the safari sign that was partially buried and had to bootpack back uphill:
013 (Copy).JPG

I followed a few other people skied by who seemed to know where they were going:
014 (Copy).JPG

Very idyllic:
017 (Copy).JPG

019 (Copy).JPG

You head downhill into the village of Oberiberg, which is at the bottom of the ski area Hoch-Ybrig:
021 (Copy).JPG

And walk across a parking lot to one of the base lifts -- my first chair (high-speed too!) in four days. How's that for hardcore?
024 (Copy).JPG

The "hometown" brand -- certainly the ski you see most frequently in these parts:
025 (Copy).JPG

Quick stop at a mid-mountain restaurant:
031 (Copy).JPG

While Mythen is predominantly south-facing, Hoch-Ybrig is completely north-facing so the offpiste was in nice shape.
028 (Copy).JPG

038 (Copy).JPG

It's also at a higher elevation than Mythen and has a healthy percentage of above-treeline/more challenging terrain along with high-speed chairs: thus, a more mainstream ski area than its old-school neighbor.
033 (Copy).JPG

All of that ridgeline on the left is lift-served. Unfortunately, my day pass was only for the specific chairs for the safari itinerary.
037 (Copy).JPG

Continuing to follow the Ski Safari signs:
036 (Copy).JPG

Beginning the 3,100-vert downhill toward the village of Illgau:
041 (Copy).JPG

044 (Copy).JPG

"You're now leaving the Hoch-Ybrig ski area"
045 (Copy).JPG

Literally, an "over the river and through the woods" affair:
046 (Copy).JPG

047 (Copy).JPG

067 (Copy).JPG

The village of Illgau in the distance:
050 (Copy).JPG

A short uphill walk:
053 (Copy).JPG

Into the village:
055 (Copy).JPG

A gondola from 1955, but as the sign tells us: fully renovated in 1983!
056 (Copy).JPG

For emergencies: a phone powered by a crank:
057 (Copy).JPG

In the home stretch:
058 (Copy).JPG

061 (Copy).JPG

A fine day to hang laundry:
066 (Copy).JPG

Finally, I exit the woods at the Handgruobi base area:
068 (Copy).JPG

And glide into my hotel:
069 (Copy).JPG

Another great Alps trip in the can. Couldn't have timed it any better.

Last edited:
Back