Jan: 19
Feb: 21
Mar: 16
Apr: 2
May: 3

By area:
Edelweiss QC: 53
Killington VT: 4
St-Sauveur QC: 4 (a possibly a few more)
Fortune QC: 2
Calabogie ON: 2
Vorlage QC: 1
Cascades QC: 1
Rigaud QC: 1 (new area unless I skied there prior to 1981 which is possible - on the way between Montreal-Ottawa)
Whiteface NY: 1
Cannon NH: 1
Mont Chilly QC: 1

jamesdeluxe":3bkfjju7 said:
I'd like to see how Patrick calculated that he skied 68 days on a quarter of my Switzerland costs, which would be $287 US. To make it apples to apples, please include all your expenses for gas (and those are Canadian gas prices), food, and incidentals.

Cost per hill
Edelweiss days: $0 (coaching pass)
Killington days: $29 US in May (1 paid ticket + 3 coaching days)
St-Sauveur days: $0 (included with Edelweiss pass)
Fortune days: $23 CDN (1 paid ticket + 1 coaching day)
Calabogie, Vorlage and Cascades days: $0 (coaching)
Rigaud: Free as member of CSIA
Mont Chilly: $20 CDN
Whiteface + Cannon: $164US (cost of Foxcard which I only managed 2 days).

The actual amount is $193US + $43 CDN.

Food, not much.
Lodging: $0
Estimated KMs: 7800 (some of that was free, shared or paid).

Oh yeah, I also get a minuscule income from coaching which pretty much put me ahead financially on my season.

:bow:

jamesdeluxe":7qwryaqi said:
...please include all your expenses for gas (and those are Canadian gas prices), food, and incidentals.
I'm reading this outside with sunglasses on. I read the last word as incendiaries.

Patrick":361jmq0s said:
Estimated KMs: 7800 (some of that was free, shared or paid).
That's 4,758 miles. Ontario gas is ~$3.90CDN/gallon. At 20mpg that's $928CDN. Cut that in half if you're sharing rides/gas costs. Maybe sometimes there are more than 2 people in the car. But sometimes you're the only one, and if it's your car you should be adding 5-10 cents/mile for maintenance and depreciation.

jasoncapecod":361jmq0s said:
This is apples to oranges argument..
It's all about the quality..Life's to short to ski crap or freeze your balls off..
This is the real point here. Sure, when your own kid is in a race program, no one should argue against a qualified parent putting in the time to support that. But that time has passed AFAIK.

Tony Crocker":1iztwnqe said:
That's 4,758 miles. Ontario gas is ~$3.90CDN/gallon. At 20mpg that's $928CDN.
That's what I was getting at, although knowing Patrick's skill in stretching a Loonie, I'm sure he'll have an explanation for this.

jasoncapecod":1iztwnqe said:
It's all about the quality..Life's to short to ski crap or freeze your balls off..
Tony Crocker":1iztwnqe said:
This is the real point here.
While I agree with Jason and Tony given my personal situation (where I'm based, level of discretionary income, work and family responsibilities, a variety junkie, increasingly drawn to weirdo places in Europe), I'm not going to apply the quality > quantity principal to people who may have other priorities or constraints. Based purely on his posts, Patrick really seems to enjoy skiing as many days as possible while spending a minimum amount of money (even if he's undercounting his car-related expenses :lol:) and maintaining his ski streak. If that brings him enjoyment, I'm not going to infer that his season wasn't high quality.

Tony Crocker":3g4mzg58 said:
That's 4,758 miles. Ontario gas is ~$3.90CDN/gallon. At 20mpg that's $928CDN.

Not going to get into a Ontario gas and mpg argument BUT.... gallon cost in Ottawa this Winter was generally around $3.50 CDN (80-95 cents/liter) and my car isn't a Tesla, but my Sentra gets closer to 35mpg. Even with all my skiing, our family still average 23000km/year on our unique car. My wife and I have never bought a bus pass either, so... what are you yearly car expenses? :lol:

jasoncapecod":3g4mzg58 said:

Life is too short indeed, I prefer skiing. What is the quote? "A bad day skiing is better than a good day at work."

james":3g4mzg58 said:
Based purely on his posts, Patrick really seems to enjoy skiing as many days as possible while spending a minimum amount of money (even if he's undercounting his car-related expenses :lol:) and maintaining his ski streak. If that brings him enjoyment, I'm not going to infer that his season wasn't high quality.

It's not about spending a minimum, my longterm goal is to ski as much as I can all year for free. If it would been about money, I wouldn't have travel to the Alps or Andes to get my Summer turns, I could have simply go to Timberline every Aug/Sept weekend. Since the ski streak started, I've skied in 98 ski areas in 15 provinces/states, 8 countries and 3 continents. What was my worst condition day this season? Cannon on April 3. So Tony you can laugh all you will, but local conditions were awesome compare to that day. Yesterday's skiing was also an awesome Spring day with Olympic Gold medalist earning some turns in the bumps after 5pm, oh yeah it was raining on and off in the last 2 hours. Even Planetskier drove up from Boston to ski MSS on Saturday, he was with me at Kmart the weekend before.

Two points here:
jamesdeluxe":1k6pgub3 said:
a variety junkie, increasingly drawn to weirdo places......
Patrick clearly falls in this camp too. But due to the Streak tail wagging the quality dog, he almost never sees ski areas in the West or the Alps (whether famous, weird or under-the-radar) during the "normal season" when they are likely to be in full operation and maybe even have some fresh snow.

And also:
offline e-mail":1k6pgub3 said:
No idea how someone with his skill level doesn't go crazy skiing those 500-vert mounds over and over.

Patrick should be comparing his last few seasons not to mine or James', but to his own a decade ago (see his avatar).

Tony Crocker":2aemqnmh said:
offline e-mail":2aemqnmh said:
No idea how someone with his skill level doesn't go crazy skiing those 500-vert mounds over and over.

Patrick should be comparing his last few seasons not to mine or James', but to his own a decade ago (see his avatar).

OMG!!! ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
The ski streak keeps me skiing and travelling. Period. Sometimes it's the kick that I need to keep active and stop putting it off.

My avatar...that was also during "The" streak. Life events have made it difficult for me to travel during the Winter months :dead horse: . Would I love to travel out West more often and in the Winter time? Hell yeah, but it hasn't happened for various reasons.

2007: all planned, but canceled due to family issues.
2008: Terrace and Smithers BC after a major shitstorm at work.

I don't want to go in details of the past decade which includes daughters' racing, breaking her leg, my series of tests at the Heart Institute and various other serious health and work issues.

There was no way I could get away in 2015 plus season was so awesome here.
2016? Getting over 70 days so far this season is pretty major considering that I skied in pain for many months after a broken ankle.
Going out elsewhere in prime season is in the cards, but simply didn't happen due to a number of factors.

After speaking to a few people, I've added Tasmania as destination where I can ski.

Patrick":27r6qpr2 said:
My avatar...that was also during "The" streak.
The fourth month of the Streak, before anyone knew it was a streak and before the Streak became a driver of ski decisions. I don't think it's a coincidence that Patrick has not set foot in the North American West or the Alps in the winter since that trip in 2006.
Patrick":27r6qpr2 said:
After speaking to a few people, I've added Tasmania as destination where I can ski.
Tasmania is a marginal ski destination with max altitude topping out around 5,000 feet. Patrick will feel right at home at the Ben Lomond ski resort, which has all of 367 vertical feet. http://www.skiresort.info/ski-resorts/a ... /tasmania/ Australia is not a cheap country to visit either. ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) Blowing one's travel budget to ski someplace like that while yo-yoing similar sized areas for 80+% of the northern winter is a true oxymoron.

Tony Crocker":3etqoe3u said:
before the Streak became a driver of ski decisions. I don't think it's a coincidence that Patrick has not set foot in the North American West or the Alps in the winter since that trip in 2006.
You're trying to apply your logic system to someone who doesn't share it.

jamesdeluxe":3fvjlvop said:
Tony Crocker":3fvjlvop said:
before the Streak became a driver of ski decisions. I don't think it's a coincidence that Patrick has not set foot in the North American West or the Alps in the winter since that trip in 2006.

That's a first. :roll:

jamesdeluxe":2jljdn6m said:
Tony Crocker":2jljdn6m said:

That's obvious, but does not change the likely validity of my observation.

Tony Crocker":14hvoo4o said:
That's obvious, but does not change the likely validity of my observation.

Tony: I don't understand, he should travel more and spend money to ski? He's skiing crap.
Patrick: Skiing is next door and get paid to do it.
Tony: I don't care, you're skiing's crap.
Patrick: Skiing is never crappy, only skiers are. You don't develop the skills if you ski hero snow all the time.
Tony: Are you saying that you would choose to ski your molehills over heliskiing in Alaska?
Patrick: If I can afford bought, I would do both. If I have to choose one ski day in the season which would be heliskiing vs a full season here, I have no hesitation what so ever.
Tony: You're are totally illogical.
Patrick: I prefer skiing 100 times on molehills versus 5 days of powder.
Tony: I don't know what to say.
Patrick: Skiing is a way of a life. I love it.
Tony: I don't understand that you would go to take a ski trip to Tasmania.
Patrick: I wouldn't be a ski trip to Tasmania, it would be a trip to Tasmania which would involve skiing. My trip to the Alps last year wasn't a ski trip, it was a trip which involved skiing. How many times to get to ski in powder with kangaroos? Yes, kangaroos.
Tony: Yes, but skiing is in winter.
Patrick: I wanted to travel out West in Winter ALSO, but family, WORK, health issues hasn't allowed me to do it.

My great 2006 trip vacation was almost cancelled, regardless of plane tickets and vacation approval months ahead of time. It was impossible to get my 2008 approved, even months ahead of time. Isn't that so hard to understand? :dead horse:

Patrick":3vd0zplv said:
Tony: I don't understand, he should travel more and spend money to ski? He's skiing crap.
Actually Patrick is skiing "crap" a lot of the time when he does travel and spend money because of the time frame he spends the $$$ on during most of the streak years.
Patrick: Skiing is never crappy, only skiers are. You don't develop the skills if you ski hero snow all the time.
True, but there are a lot of skills you don't develop if you ski molehills all the time either. This is not relevant to Patrick as he learned those skills long ago. But it leads to the point about how most skiers at his level would be bored stiff skiing those hills 80+% of the time. And while the number of Patrick's days may be up, the amount of skiing per day is surely down a lot vs. seasons like 2005-06.
Patrick: I prefer skiing 100 times on molehills versus 5 days of powder.
That's a tradeoff where you might find a fair number of skiers taking either position. But the comparison which set off this discussion was 70 days of molehills vs. 20 days of interesting terrain, Euro culture and some powder.

Tony Crocker":1vmhxzle said:
Blowing one's travel budget to ski someplace like that while yo-yoing similar sized areas for 80+% of the northern winter is a true oxymoron.
Tony, please, just stop. Really.
Different people ski for different reasons.
Different people like to go to areas that wouldn't be your choice for different reasons than you.
Please stop imposing your value system on everyone else.

I suppose everyone looks at other people's ski lives and thinks "wow, that's exactly what I'd do if I had the time, money, etc." or "wow, that guy's nuts; instead of that, I would've [fill in the blank]."

Tony just takes the additional step of publicly telling selected people that he thinks they're nuts. :lol:

jamesdeluxe":32ote7yg said:
Tony just takes the additional step of publicly telling selected people that he thinks they're nuts. :lol:
Which is kinda rude and somewhat condescending.

Marc_C":2kvo2bz0 said:
jamesdeluxe":2kvo2bz0 said:
Which is kinda rude and somewhat condescending.

FWIW, I'm in complete agreement.

20 Times this season ,lowest total ever . Average is about 30.
Kicking Horse BC 6
Revelstoke BC 1
Jay Peak VT 3
Tremblant QC 1
Alta ( ski touring ) QC 4
Laurentian Mole Hills 5

10 days short of average ,it is what it is . Not skiing MRG was rough .

As bad as it was compared to a "normal" season -- based on Zoneski TRs, the Laurentians were in far better shape than south of the border or the Eastern Townships. Still, Anthony's dearth of local skiing speaks volumes.

Back