What are your plans?

Is there an aspect of your skiing that you want to work on the most?

• Bumps

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stance and Balance

• Trees

• Groomers and carving

• Standing up and not feeling like you are going to die

• Total voters

Ryan

Every year at about this time as I ait here in brown PA as the rest of the NE starts making turns I mull over the same thought.
I want to figure out what my focus for the year should be. I like to look at each year as an opportunity to focus on a fart of my skiing that needs the most improvement or that I just want to get better at. I know this may not be everyone but it works for me. What I am wanting to know is this; what is everyone else planning to work on this year the most? Is it the bumps as I am considering or is it the trees as I really should be working. For some it is even better stance and stability. So how about it. What do you want to work on? How are you going to go about doing it?

i'm going to go with an "other" option and say getting air. i am most uncomfortable in the air but have been trying to push my boundaries. most specifically, i am concerned with airing it in the backcountry or in trees (e.g. small cliff drops) as opposed to parks and tricks. though i would like to throw a trick or two in there... i am all about adding style and grace to my technique book when ever possible :lol: nailing an eight foot drop under the lift on my first day of lift served last month really got me jonesing for pushing this aspect of my skiing :D

I hope to work on stance and balance , which will lead into working on some bumps. I've already bought Dan Dipiro's book on bumps to do a little self teaching. For the stance and balance I already have a good idea of what to work on for the begining of the season, then hopefully I'll get some more expert type analysis on my progress later on.

riverc0il":3l5tu69y said:
i am concerned with airing it in the backcountry or in trees (e.g. small cliff drops) as opposed to parks and tricks. though i would like to throw a trick or two in there... i am all about adding style and grace to my technique book when ever possible :lol:

This to me has to be one of the "holy grails" of skiing. There is nothing finer than seeing someone drop a bomb like a big 360 off a 10ft + drop or even a little twister in the middle of a glade. The balance and poise not to mention stones :shock: that is takes to do it and make it look good are right up there at the top of the sport. Much luck to you on this pursuit. From reading you here I'm sure that I don't need to say this to you but others need it. If you are going to start learning tricks that rocks but, just be safe....

riverc0il":3kzrvkfy said:
i'm going to go with an "other" option and say getting air. i am most uncomfortable in the air but have been trying to push my boundaries. most specifically, i am concerned with airing it in the backcountry or in trees (e.g. small cliff drops) as opposed to parks and tricks. though i would like to throw a trick or two in there... i am all about adding style and grace to my technique book when ever possible :lol: nailing an eight foot drop under the lift on my first day of lift served last month really got me jonesing for pushing this aspect of my skiing :D

I'm going to have to vote "big air" too. Funny, cause I swore off jumping after tearing my stomach muscles last year, but it's so damn addictive. I'm nursung a bruised elbow and cut on my back right now from building a kicker up the hill on sunday. I also wan't to focus on pulling stuff off natural feautures ( I pulled a nice, small 360 off a natural QP up at winter park this week and rode it out fakie :) ) .

For me I think the key to good air is to relax and don't think about what your pulling, just know and go. Everytime I am focused on the trick I end up under rotating or being back on the board. If I just relax and clear my head I seem to pull it off with ease ??? Anyway, I really wan't to pull a backside 360 with a nice grab off some huge drop into massive POW! Yup, that'll do me lord! :)

P.S. I'm amazed at how many people I've seen already this season pulling rails with out a helmet. Protect your noggin you nobs :)

P.S.2. Yeah! The seasons started... I fell like an addict who got his fix.

I have to agree with all the folks who are saying "air." Last season I started trying to take short little 5-10 foot drops where I could in the trees. Makes for some much more interesting lines when you're comfortable in the air. It's hard to learn though at a place where you have to stick every landing or hit a tree.

Maybe when I go out west this year I'll concentrate on learning in a bit more forgiving conditions.

I did pull a front flip today. :shock: Unfortunatly it was under the snow instead of over it :D It's amazing what can go through your head in the split second before you bail.

20thSkier":le9a9b5u said:
I have to agree with all the folks who are saying "air.".... It's hard to learn though at a place where you have to stick every landing or hit a tree. Maybe when I go out west this year I'll concentrate on learning in a bit more forgiving conditions.

The good thing about learning to jump is that the stuff you need to know to jump well from a small, safe bump on an easy groomer is the same stuff you need to know to jump well from a huge hit or a big drop in the woods. (The three most important things: balance, balance and balance.) So you can start with very little, easy jumps, then work your way into and through the park jumps, then on to hairier stuff in the woods... then on to starring in next year's ski films.
-H

Back