Climbing Skin recommendations

From_the_NEK

Anybody have a good set of skins to recommend. :?: I FINALLY got a back country set up. Now I just need to be able to climb.

I love my G3s. They climb like a mountain goat, are easy to store, and have effective glue and tail clips. They don't glide worth jack, but that's primarily due to my preference to trim them for wall-to-wall coverage. I don't do a lot of up-and-down touring with downhills so small that I don't remove my skins, so climbing ability is a foremost factor for me.

i also have the G3's and have no problems to date. either the G3's or the BD ascensions, either way you can't go wrong.

riverc0il":lvequddh said:
either the G3's or the BD ascensions, either way you can't go wrong.

Agreed. Most circles regard those two most highly.

Admin":3o18zski said:
riverc0il":3o18zski said:
either the G3's or the BD ascensions, either way you can't go wrong.

Agreed. Most circles regard those two most highly.

I use the BD ascensions with the clip-fix tails...they work great.

Thanks for the info. I've been looking at both of those. I've haven't made up my mind yet but it sounds like either way I should be alright.
Any other preferences on how to trim them? Admin likes full coverage. Any other suggestions?

definitely full coverage. buy a skin about the same size as your tip width. a little smaller is okay, but not too much smaller. the skins should come with instructions on trimming. the g3's have a 'trimming tool' with them which is a fancy term for a letter opener. you basically cut the skin to the sidecut of the ski leaving a few mm's on each side for the edges.

riverc0il":14m3jxqi said:
i also have the G3's and have no problems to date. either the G3's or the BD ascensions, either way you can't go wrong.

I use the BD ascensions which work well. In the past I have not had much trouble with my skins icing up, but I have heard that an application of Zardoz base oil to skins helps keep icing to a minimum. Does anyone have practical experience with this treatment?

Thanks,
Jeff

Back