Hahnenkamm World Cup Downhill, Jan. 21, 2017

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
We do not follow ski racing closely, but the Hahnenkamm Downhill is perhaps the most famous World Cup event. We got out of the Sandhof at 7:30AM and drove to a parking area in Kirchberg, where shuttle trains were running to Kitzbuhel. The Kitzbuhel train station is right by the Hahnenkamm base, where one of the original 1958 trams is still on display.
P1210096.JPG

Walking toward the arena was this booth with many flags on display. I was intrigued by this one.
P1210009.JPG

Perhaps in honor of our new president? :stir:

We arrived in the viewing area just as the first racer started at 11:30. Attendance was ~50,000, so it was best to stay back some with clear sight lines of the video screen and the lower part of the course. There was a grandstand much smaller than at the SLC Olympic events and requiring VIP tickets. Our general admission tickets were 30 Euros.

The top 30 seeded racers go first and I got some pics of eventual winner Dominik Paris of Italy, who also won in 2013. First zoomed on video screen:
P1210018.JPG

Lower course with video in corner as Paris hits one of the bigger jumps.
P1210019.JPG

Paris is just a speck at this resolution live on the final jump.
P1210021a.JPG

The Governator attends the Hahnenkamm nearly every year and is a fan favorite.
P1210026.JPG

Just two of the top 30 seeds crashed. They replayed in slow motion. Here you can see one ski is off and pointed backwards, so the crash is imminent.
P1210036a.JPG

Beat Feuz of Switzerland, second last year, has a lead halfway through the course.
P1210039a.JPG

But here he is about to crash into the protective fences just before the final turn.
P1210042a.JPG

The fans are part of the show. One of them twice set off industrial size flares.
P1210054.JPG

Authorities would freak out if someone did this at a US sporting event.

Here are some cowbells used by the hometown Austrian fans.
P1210064.JPG

Some Swiss fans marched with theirs.
P1210075.JPG

The final leaderboard with Austrian fan in foreground.
P1210063.JPG

The podium:
P1210090.JPG

Weather was ideal for the event, clear skies, cold and calm. 53 of the 61 racers finished vs. only 24 last year. The course is frequently plagued with wind on top, fog or flat light. The record time of 1:51:58 for the full course was set by Fritz Strobel in 1997. Dominik Paris’ time in 2017 was 1:55:01, only the eighth time the full course has been run since Strobel’s record. 10 races have been shortened and two cancelled.

But did you stick around for any of the legendary partying?

Def Jealous - someday I'll get there.

We were quite chilled after the sun went behind the hill for the last 15 racers or so, and looking to get inside somewhere to warm up. It was a fair walk into town past a few outside bars which did not interest us. Eventually we squeezed into the bar lounge at the Schwartz Adler hotel and wisely ordered what turned out to be an excellent main meal of the day.

Wisely because we got up at 5:30AM in Lech, arrived at our hotel in Brixen about 12 hours later and both crashed for the next 3 hours, missing dinner.

I suspect partying was more subdued than normal because it's a hometown crowd, perhaps 80% Austrian, and the highest Austrian finisher was eighth. I saw only one Italian flag in the crowd and maybe 3 or 4 French flags.

Tony Crocker":39ppne52 said:
I suspect partying was more subdued than normal because it's a hometown crowd, perhaps 80% Austrian, and the highest Austrian finisher was eighth. I saw only one Italian flag in the crowd and maybe 3 or 4 French flags.

Perhaps. My understanding is that the nationality of the winner only matters a bit. That a lot of the fans are there to party hard no matter the outcome (and probably why the SL the next day has so many fewer fans).

That 1958 tram has been replaced by a high speed gondola. They are labelled with past Hahnenkamm winners, a practice Snowbasin copied with Olympic winners.
P1230133a.JPG

Here's one for Patrick.
P1230131a.JPG

Sunday slalom winners are honored too.
P1230135a.JPG

Back