Alta, UT 1/22/2017

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Day 29: Batten down the hatches!

Today's story was the wind.

20170122_113703a.jpg

After a 36" total for the storm that ended last evening, the wind sure kicked up overnight, moving the new snow everywhere. Some sheltered pockets still held fresh untracked (yes, multiple successive face shots were obtained again today, and lower Greeley Bowl was still not steep enough to ski in all of the new snow) while in other areas the wind smoothed over old tracks. There were times that all you could do was stop, turn your back to the wind and just brace yourself for the assault. It felt like my old days at Jay Peak back in Vermont! At one point, Anant was simply trying to stand still, but the wind was actually blowing him uphill.

Backside was on ASP's a.m. route list, but with that kind of wind it was clear that any attempt to open Backside would be pointless so they never bothered.

Overall, it was one heluva weekend.

The other story today was the crowd, for it seemed like everyone who couldn't get up the canyon yesterday showed up today.

Tom, Anant and I quit at 2:30, right as the first flakes of our next major snowstorm began to fall. The forecast calls for another +/- 2 feet, perhaps more.

Season-to-date snowfall total 262", current base depth 103".

Boy, it's a wild one in LCC today! The road closed at 6 a.m. for avalanche control and was expected to open by 9 a.m., but that was pushed back to 10 a.m. and has now been pushed back again to 1 p.m. Neither Alta nor Snowbird are loading any lifts at present. Straight line travel only is permitted at Snowbird, and Interlodge is still in effect at Alta.

Admin":3v674dbl said:
Boy, it's a wild one in LCC today! The road closed at 6 a.m. for avalanche control and was expected to open by 9 a.m., but that was pushed back to 10 a.m. and has now been pushed back again to 1 p.m. Neither Alta nor Snowbird are loading any lifts at present. Straight line travel only is permitted at Snowbird, and Interlodge is still in effect at Alta.
Even Snowbird has gone to full interlodge now:

"Interlodge travel restrictions are now in effect for the entire Snowbird Village once again. "

As I indicated on these forums recently, yes -- it does happen here sometimes.

So, to summarize, the LCC Road closed at 6 a.m. today and won't reopen until at least 9 a.m. tomorrow. UDOT triggered 40 avalanches this morning, including 7 that reached the road. Here's one of them at Tanners Flat:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slVfm7DSraA[/video]

More details:
http://www.firsttracksonline.com/2017/0 ... od-canyon/

Marc_C":3qlrr9pk said:
Certainly, although not to the frequency feared by visitors.
An addendum to this from the FTO news report also points out another visitor fallacy:

Interlodge in the Town of Alta and at Snowbird (a condition whereby people are not legally permitted to exit the building that they presently occupy) was suspended only from 1 to 3:30 p.m. today. Neither ski resort ran any of its lifts today.

Not all the time, but often, if there's enough new snow to close the road for the day, the skiers staying at AltaBird are reading, sleeping, geeking on their computers, playing board games, and watching it snow - but not skiing.

The reading comprehension challenged folks from Jersey probably had a great day, I skied a top 25 day of my lifetime at Solitude today. ;)

Alta/Snowbird is the finest ski complex in the world but there are other ski areas in Utah. As BobMc notes, there are scenarios where the wiser choice is to go somewhere else. Liz' friends Andy and Lisa had a no stress day at Powder Mt. on one of weekend recent days when the LCC road was a total junk show. And they live at the base of LCC and have Snowbird passes.

Tony Crocker":2ztj4hhd said:
Alta/Snowbird is the finest ski complex in the world but there are other ski areas in Utah. As BobMc notes, there are scenarios where the wiser choice is to go somewhere else. Liz' friends Andy and Lisa had a no stress day at Powder Mt. on one of weekend recent days when the LCC road was a total junk show. And they live at the base of LCC and have Snowbird passes.

As usual (just like your averages), it's not as cut-and-dried as you seem to believe.

1. If you're staying in LCC, as my friend Bruce was yesterday, you're not skiing anywhere. Period.

2. Had I avoided the LCC junk show like Bobby and Amy did on Saturday by going to Snowbasin, I would've had a 90-minute drive on I-15 in truly white-knuckle conditions to ski a total of 6" at Snowbasin, instead of a 13-mile drive on secondary roads to ski 31" in LCC. On Saturday it snowed 2-3" per hour all day long in LCC, while Snowbasin logged a nipple-deep 1".

3. There are days that BCC is worse than LCC, like the day in December when I got out of LCC in 25 minutes at the very same moment that it was taking people 3 hours to get out of BCC. The BCC road may not close as often for avalanche control, but there it's that steep, off-camber turn by Storm Mountain that gums up the works.

4. Powder Mountain was closed yesterday and will remain closed all day today, due to avalanches covering their access road.

5. Trappers Loop Road to/from Snowbasin was also closed yesterday due to avalanches.

6. Funny, but despite his comment, on Saturday BobMc was stuck in the very same traffic heading up LCC that I was. I know because we were messaging each other. He commented at the time, "I should've gone to Telluride."

Hmm..well I guess the sloppy groomers I skied at Gore Mt was better than nothing...but damn I missed a good one. BUT...I'll be at Park City next week..which looks good....

kingslug":1khqyc3m said:
...I'll be at Park City next week..which looks good....

Here's how it looks in town right now.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1485371202909.jpg
    FB_IMG_1485371202909.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 2,376
Back