Park City Mountain, UT 1/29/2017

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Day 31: A different kind of day.

It was for me, at least. Kingslug is in Park City with his wife Jackie on a group trip, so Mrs. Admin and I went up there to spend the day with them. Today was their first day ever skiing Park City, so we spent our morning tooling around blue groomers to give them the lay of the land. We started at the Park City base area and worked our way all the way to Super Condor at the far north end of the resort, at what was the artist formerly known as The Canyons (or Wolf Mountain or Park West, depending on the vintage).

20170129_100244.jpg

Unable to continue any further north (we ran out of resort), we stopped for a cup of coffee at Murdock's in Canyons Village before working our way all the way back to downtown Park City via the Town Runs. Today was another inverted day with windless, warm, sunny skies in the mountains, and it was a pleasure just to be out. We settled for a couple of slices each at Davanza's because High West's gastro-distillery was on a 90-minute wait for lunch. :evil: Damn you Sundance! Nevertheless, our longest liftline today was about 90 seconds at Silverlode, while just about every other lift today was ski-on -- thank you, Sundance!

20170129_133332.jpg

20170129_133759.jpg

Mrs. Admin called it a day at 2 p.m., and I give her credit for lasting that long, covering that kind of mileage on only her second day out this season. Jackie hung with us until we got to Jupiter, then headed off on her own as Kingslug and I headed up for something other than a mellow groomer. We first dropped Here Be Dragons, which was loose, chalky snow but a bit bumpier on the lower half than I would have liked. Unfortunately, Pinecone Ridge had re-closed under this high pressure.

20170129_142157.jpg

With Pinecone Ridge closed, on our second ride up Jupe we hatched a plan to hike Jupiter Peak instead to ski Machete.

20170129_144151.jpg

20170129_145547.jpg

20170129_150602.jpg

Machete is a nice, steep line, probably in the upper 40s especially at the crux and on the first turn dropping in. Today it was pool table-smooth, edgeable chalk. I wouldn't have wanted to blow a turn and try to stop a fall in there today, but it was super easy to hold an edge.

20170129_150506.jpg

IMG_0480.JPG

I think that at one point Kingslug peed his pants, but I somehow still talked him into one final run. I had taken him all the way to the north end of the resort on Boa off Super Condor, so we had to finish it up on Tycoon off McConkey's, which constitutes the very southern edge of the resort.

Kingslug and I wrapped up our day over celebratory beers at 4:30 on the deck of Pig Pen Saloon while Mrs. Admin took my truck and retrieved Jackie, who inexplicably ended up back at Canyons Village at the end of the day.

17 lift rides and 20,122 verts, according to EpicMix. We actually got bit more vert than that thanks to the hike because EpicMix only tracks lift rides. It seems that everyone was more than happy with their day.

And they say there's nothing steep...round these parts..
Dropped Daly bowl and chutes at Deer Valley..they be steep too...

kingslug":201nuf1x said:
And they say there's nothing steep...round these parts..
Dropped Daly bowl and chutes at Deer Valley..they be steep too...

Nothing like what you skied on Jupiter Peak, however.

The middle of Daly looked insane with all the rocks..the first chute next to the bowl was steep enough to keep ones attention...and no hike in....

Back