Davos-Klosters Parsenn, Feb. 4, 2017

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
We were undecided until the last minute what to do on our final day in Europe Feb. 4. Fraser Wilkins' forecasts on weather-to-ski.com were changing every day. At first a fairly widespread storm was predicted for the weekend of Feb. 4-5 but then he backed off to a prediction for Saturday similar to Friday. Since we managed a fairly good day Friday at Ischgl, Liz wanted to get in one last ski day. She wanted to see Davos and the Parsenn, and since I had been there in 2013 I knew my way around even it was likely to be a short day.

davos_parsenn_ski_area_trail_map.jpg

We stayed in Feldkirch and drove to Klosters in about an hour. After some searching for parking we got up to the top of Gotschnagrat at 11:20AM. Weather was bit less cooperative than Friday with high overcast and some flat light. We warmed up on the 45 and 43 pistes, then skied to the Furka T-bars to get over the backside. For our first long run to the lower Schifer gondola I unwisely chose the far left meandering piste 24. It had sporadic grooming, occasional flat light and its lower third was frozen granular.

We rode the long 3,600 vertical gondola to Weissfluhjoch and finally the Gipfelbahn tram to the top. Here we got a short break in the weather with views at the top.
IMG_8406.JPG

IMG_8407.JPG

We skied piste #1 from the top. The overcast returned but we still had good views.
IMG_8411.JPG

IMG_8416.JPG

The pic above is looking down the Schifer gondola. This time we skied the main piste 22 to its mid-station with excellent soft snow the whole way.

It was now close to 2PM and a squall of heavy snow moved in while we were on the gondola. With the bad vis Liz wanted to get down and look around the city of Davos. From Weissfluhjoch we skied the 15 piste under the Totalp lifts which was soft and smooth enough for good skiing despite the weather.

We rode Grubenalp back to Gotschnagrat and Liz said she was good skiing the long pistes 47 and 21 down to Klosters. 47 is mostly catwalk but scenic even though the haze.
IMG_8419.JPG

As we got toward tree line the visibility was no longer an issue and the long trail back to Klosters was well maintained and not very busy at 2:30PM.

We skied 14,300 vertical and Liz got a decent view of Parsenn highlights, the long and well maintained north facing groomers that Richard liked so much in 2013. She only missed a few east facing runs toward Davos.

Back