Jackson Hole - Shut down for 7 days??

jamesdeluxe":277ugc15 said:
Admin":277ugc15 said:
Despite popular perception, there is no such clause. That said, in all probability they have business interruption coverage.
You should get a job with an insurance company! :)
"We know a thing or 2 because we've seen a thing or 2" bum be dum bum bum bum.........

And thank god I'm not going until the 25th...imagine what it will be like for those that go the day it reopens......uber freshies....

kingslug":1rf5ecm5 said:
And thank god I'm not going until the 25th...imagine what it will be like for those that go the day it reopens......uber freshies....

And I'm guessing uber-mobbed.

Admin":6ft990ql said:
kingslug":6ft990ql said:

And I'm guessing uber-mobbed.
Yes, and uber mashed potatoes if this drags out long enough and we get into late February with stronger sun and no more inversions.

jamesdeluxe":1supaclk said:
From "The Paper of Record" -- complete with a shot of town (which wasn't affected) taken from Snow King. They couldn't have sourced a more appropriate photo?
I'm missing your point?

Just being difficult -- basically: you'd think they would've included a pic at the top of the article with the downed power lines or a dark Teton Village rather than of Jackson itself, which wasn't affected. Kinda like showing a pic of downtown SLC for an article about something that mainly affected the town of Alta.

I also enjoy doing the wingnut move of putting The Paper of Record in quotes. :lol:

I agree with James. Admin managed to get a photo of one of the downed power lines plus a link to the drone video showing several of them. NY Times stock footage of the fully lit town of Jackson by comparison? SAD!

Tony Crocker":14r4eqij said:
I agree with James. Admin managed to get a photo of one of the downed power lines plus a link to the drone video showing several of them. NY Times stock footage of the fully lit town of Jackson by comparison? SAD!
And 99% of the people reading that article don't ski and simply don't care. I'm not particularly defending the NYT, but I also see it as a non-issue.

Hell, the best place to ski this weekend may be New England. Forget Jackson Hole, Snowbird/Alta, Sun Valley, etc. We got 10 to 12 inches of light, fluffy powder (cold storm) yesterday and another 1 to 3 inches is predicted tonight. More snow Sunday into Monday.
:stir:

berkshireskier":135wk0nd said:
Hell, the best place to ski this weekend may be New England. Forget Jackson Hole, Snowbird/Alta, Sun Valley, etc. We got 10 to 12 inches of light, fluffy powder (cold storm) yesterday and another 1 to 3 inches is predicted tonight. More snow Sunday into Monday.
If you look into the Terms of Service to which you agreed when registering for this forum, you have to also provide a disclaimer that conditions will suck again soon and that you'd rather be skiing at Alta, well, just because.

berkshireskier":3cvtlp0c said:
Probably. It's one of the 5 good days you get every other season.
A whole 1-3 inches. Yep. A full on powder day.

A friend back there posted to FB:"Not the powder day I had planned (the wind took care of that scouring some places and crusting others) but any sunny day at Magic Mountain is a fun adventure."

jamesdeluxe":3rnn0dea said:
berkshireskier":3rnn0dea said:
If you look into the Terms of Service to which you agreed when registering for this forum, you have to also provide a disclaimer that conditions will suck again soon and that you'd rather be skiing at Alta, well, just because.

LOL, yea, I accept your admonishment! I freely admit that, in reality, there may be one or two days, every five or six years, where the conditions in the East are better than the conditions in MOST of the West. Tomorrow may be one of those days! Just got done waxing my Eastern powder skis .... you know, the ones with the 72MM waist.

Admin":1hidzggt said:
A friend back there posted to FB:"Not the powder day I had planned (the wind took care of that scouring some places and crusting others) but any sunny day at Magic Mountain is a fun adventure."

Yea......the good news is it snowed about 10 or 12 inches yesterday. Bad news......the winds were brutal and blew most of that light, powdery snow right into the woods!

Marc_C":3nafomfp said:
berkshireskier":3nafomfp said:
Probably. It's one of the 5 good days you get every other season.
A whole 1-3 inches. Yep. A full on powder day.

Yea, nothing like skiing 1" of fresh powder on top of a rock hard, completely frozen manmade base!

Actually the Northeast is having a considerably above average season. Conditions have been very good for the past 3 weeks. Perversely there were major rain events right before Christmas and MLK.

I would not be surprised to see the US skier visit record of 60.5 million broken this season.
1) Both East and all Western regions are having above average seasons since before Christmas.
2) We are hearing lots of anecdotal reports about how busy many resorts are this season.
No surprise with pent-up demand during the first overall above average season since 2010-11.

Back