Fernie, BC 3-1-17

Mostly knee to hip deep all day. Pounded snow all the way till it suddenly broke up pn our final run of the day. Had to have picked up at least another 6-8 inches during ski day. In a way didn't get to see much -white room all day long.

Attachments

• IMG_20170301_163109.jpg
    IMG_20170301_163109.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 5,403
I'm guessing Polar Peak never opened. What about Currie, Lizard, Cedar Bowls? At any rate on on a day like this the tree skiing at Fernie is world class.

Is this your annual trip with friends? If coming from Calgary wouldn't you go to Castle first? Though with that kind of dump it's possible Castle's upper lift might be closed in which case Fernie's terrain limitations are far less severe.

If you get to Castle Thursday or Friday plenty of that powder should still be there. Saturday too, but you might be waiting in 15+ minute lift lines on the upper chair if the locals know there is fresh snow.

Polar did open which was surprising because it was completely in the cloud. Skiing by Braille. Even the upper couple hundred feet on white pass was Braille. Much of fernie opened including most of cedar, but not the upper traverse in that bowl. Currie was fully open; a couple closures in Lizard if I recall.

Snow totals were huge. Frequently hip deep and a few turns nearly chest deep. Even at that, today at Castle may have been better... Nearly country club skiing for the first several runs on a consistent 12 to 24 of powder. Even though the official snow report was 6".

I have WAY too much video from Fernie & Castle. Taking me forever to get to it due to so many issues (real job, >2.5 hrs of footage from only 2 days of skiing, have tried out 3 new video editing programs to find one I like, finding mediocre royalty free music to use, etc...).

This is basically just POV clips from a single run with no particularly fancy editing attempted. Just want to get something out the back end of the process. And yes I was full tele-tubby for a couple days 8-[

Hoping for a better, more complete edit someday with the rest of the footage.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f219iQY4NT4[/video]

Back