Eldora, CO 3-26-17

EMSC

OK-ish.

The final ~week of super hot temps really did a number on the snowpack in Colorado, especially at Eldora on the east facing parts (~1/2 of the front side). The weather has finally cooled off close to normal temps, but much of the damage is done. The snow started off fairly firm just before 10a and slowly softened (esp those same east facing runs). A literal dusting overnight did nothing to help and temps stayed in the mid 30's with occasional snow showers.

While things got to be decent skiing wise with some corn and then eventually just-large-enough-to-no-longer-be-fun piles by mid-afternoon. We left by 2p and drove down Boulder Canyon in full on rain. Not typical even for March out here. It's just been way too warm the past two months. (Though we will take the moisture).

Image00001.jpg

Image00002.jpg

Image00003.jpg

Image00004.jpg

I skied Eldora for the first time yesterday and had a great time. We were kind of lost at first and was just skiing thru the Woodward Parks. Finally got my wife to try Challenge and she did fine. Then my friend Brent the GM got out and took us all over the mountain on Corona side which was amazing. My wife was doing great on her snowboard on the steeper runs as she really stepped up her game.
We had a great time. Then stopped for lunch at top of Corona and while we ate the snow completely changed and when from packed powder to thick soft crud just like that within an hour. Never seen it change so quickly. Anyway, can't wait to go back. The new detachable 6 pack will be so nice.

Front Range Colorado has had a warm and dry March, both relative to other regions and to its own history. Season-to-date snowfall is now 92% of average. All the other western regions are at least 118% and the overall North America average is 125%, on track for second highest season on record to 2010-11.

Tom Moriarty":23v0y440 said:
I skied Eldora for the first time yesterday and had a great time.

Glad you had a good time. Eldora has some solid terrain for a small area; just needs more consistent snowfall. Some times has great snow, other times skis more like an eastern ski area.

Tony Crocker":23v0y440 said:
Front Range Colorado has had a warm and dry March, both relative to other regions and to its own history.

Also had a very dry and warm February too.

Recent storms have held much promise, and then for central/divide mtns the storms have way under-delivered. It's stopped the tremendous melting that was occurring, but has added only a little to snowpack/surface conditions. My view is phenomenal Dec/Jan for Colo followed by a truly horrible 2nd half of the season overall (discounting a literal couple of decent days mixed in here or there).

Back