Eclipse Camping/Viewing Options: Oregon, Idaho, Wyoming

jamesdeluxe":1u7quub7 said:
Tony Crocker":1u7quub7 said:
Contrary to the expectations of the Chicken Littles
It looks like the eclipse is going to be the new Snowbird vs. Alta or PTO in December.
You forgot about the January dry spell myth. :stir:

The eclipse topic will likely go on hiatus until 2024, although I'm hearing a fair amount of interest in South America for December 14, 2020. http://xjubier.free.fr/en/site_pages/so ... pFull.html

The path passes over the Pucon Villarica volcano in Chile, and the weather prospects on the leeward Argentine side of the Andes should be excellent in early summer. The path is about 150 miles north of Bariloche and there are lots of interesting places to visit in that part of the world even if it's not ski season.

Bariloche? Sure, you can check out all of the former Nazi Party fortresses where they hid Hitler.

Tony Crocker":2kaalihy said:
Hey, if you want to check out Nazis, you don't need to go to Bariloche. Charlottesville is much closer.

Those are just wannabe whack jobs.

This is the real deal. While I'm not a conspiracy theorist, there's at least some compelling evidence that it's at least possible that Hitler didn't die in a Berlin bunker, but instead was smuggled out to South America in a U-boat via Spain. Bariloche was a hotbed for high-ranking Nazi Party members during and after WWII (which in part explains the heavy German influence around there in culture, architecture, etc.), and there's some evidence that Hitler himself was there (and other places in South America) in the 1950s planning the Fourth Reich. The CIA has some recently released top-secret documents that collected evidence on this theory, which was also the subject of a series "Hunting Hitler" that ran on the History Channel.

Admin":30dys1t8 said:
The CIA has some recently released top-secret documents that collected evidence on this theory, which was also the subject of a series "Hunting Hitler" that ran on the History Channel.
I remember watching that. I'm always game for a good conspiracy theory and Bariloche is a good one. Whenever there's nothing else on TV, I go looking for Third Reich documentaries (drives my wife nuts) with post-WWII East Germany a very close second -- why do you think I learned the language? 8)

And to a good number of elderly South Americans who, when pushed, swear that they saw him themselves.

I just got to checking whether TGR had an eclipse thread. Yes they did, 32 pages worth. The first 20 pages before August 21 were the usual mix of some people who were going plus the also expected traffic/crowd paranoia and snark.

The 12 pages after August 21 were quite different, and also not a surprise. Mostly "meh" from those outside totality and awed testimonials from those inside. As a ski analogy, these posts on page 32 sum it up:

St. Jerry ":1w8hnux2 said:
Partial = 1" new
Totality: 30" new

puma":1w8hnux2 said:
I like that.

I was at the office yesterday talking to a few others who experienced the 30" new. As we were recounting it, another colleague walked up to join in the conversation. I asked if he checked out the eclipse, as I figured he had due to the kind a guy he is! He said yeah, it was awesome. We asked where down south did he head...nope, stayed in Portland. The other 30 inchers of blower pow looked at each other...and shook our heads non discreetly...

Not sure I understand someone that lived 30 to 45 minutes from totality not taking the time to get down there...most I know that did not, have admitted they feel like they missed out big. They are right. Not trying to rub anyone's noses in it...but I would say that one must try to see totality once in their life. Unfortunately for those 1 inchers around here...it is going to mean travel. Unfortunately, for them, probably not going to happen if 30 minutes was too much...

Among our Salt Lake ski acquaintances, Dave Hansen brought a group of 10 to Jackson that went up the tram with us. Allene Lemons, normally part of that group, was at her sister's place in Rigby, Idaho which has a 5 acre horse pasture. Liz and I stopped there on the way in and arranged for that to be our first choice backup if weather in Jackson was unfavorable. But the SLC skiers on this forum were all 1 inchers AFAIK.

Tony Crocker":103qmrne said:
...plus the also expected traffic/crowd paranoia...
Post eclipse the 3 hr drive from Rexburg ID to SLC was taking 8-9 hrs.
It wasn't paranoia.

There were no traffic issues in Idaho on the way in during the 3 days prior, nor leaving early the next morning. And if you bother to read some of those 12 pages on TGR, the posters who made the effort all thought it was worth any traffic hassles afterwards, just like a 30 inch powder day.

If you're that traffic phobic, I guess you'll pass up the 30 inch powder days in LCC too. Of course, MarcC has been passing those up for some time because he can't keep up with admin's posse anymore.

Tony Crocker":1kmyis7n said:
There were no traffic issues in Idaho on the way in during the 3 days prior, nor leaving early the next morning. And if you bother to read some of those 12 pages on TGR, the posters who made the effort all thought it was worth any traffic hassles afterwards, just like a 30 inch powder day.
You're forgetting that I had surgery the next day. I had to be at the hospital at 6:30a. You're also forgetting that 8+ hrs of driving would pretty much kill the enjoyment of 2.5 minutes.

Tony Crocker":1kmyis7n said:
If you're that traffic phobic, I guess you'll pass up the 30 inch powder days in LCC too. Of course, MarcC has been passing those up for some time because he can't keep up with admin's posse anymore.
You have no idea where or when I ski and you took the opportunity to again be a condescending ass.
And you have the gall to call me negative.
FU.

Marc_C":ue2fvxhp said:
You're forgetting that I had surgery the next day. I had to be at the hospital at 6:30a.
Not at all. Your comment was exclusively :dead horse: about traffic.

You're also forgetting that 8+ hrs of driving would pretty much kill the enjoyment of 2.5 minutes.
Not according to 12 pages of posts by often cynical people on TGR. The bottom line is that someone who has never skied a 30-inch powder day is not qualified to comment upon whether associated traffic hassles are or are not worth it. The same applies here. And in the case of SLC to Idaho, very modest countermeasures were available to those who wanted to avoid traffic.

You have no idea where or when I ski
No, but I know you're not skiing with admin much because he's a social animal and mentions with whom he skis in his TR's. Readers should trust the objective evidence of your absence from those TR's nearly every winter weekend over assertions by either of us.

And you have the gall to call me negative.
Damn right I do, and there's over a decade of evidence on this forum supporting that view, not to mention the people who have abandoned FTO largely because of the negativity.

On some forums this is taken care of by moderation. Here and TGR have a laissez faire attitude. That's fine, but then it becomes the responsibility of active members to call out trolling, BS and negativity.

I know Tony mentioned that I would mark April 8, 2024 on my calendar, especially with totality moving over some ski areas. I just decided to add skiing under a total eclipse to my bucket list.

As some of you might know, I went to Oregon for one week which included some skiing, but also a trips and detours to Mt St Helens, Crater Lake and the Oregon Coast. When skiing, I bumped into someone that skied that day (and pointed me to this video below). I asked him if the lifts were running and the answer was affirmative. I thought that Mt Hood was in totality (I confess, I didn't look it up), but notice is was just slightly off. The person I skied with said it was pretty cool to see the shadow move beyond Mt Hood.

No actual video of the sun, but you can see the impressions on the skiers, racers, etc and the sky changing.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_AM19-lLvg[/video]

Unfortunately for skiers, Mt. Hood was a close miss, 99.5%. That means 2,000x as bright as totality, though the umbra passing just south would be clearly visible from elevation.

Since we're contributing music on this thread, here's the appropriate song for those Mt. Hood skiers:
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYYqKjUtMEM[/video]

I finally collected some pics from varied sources and put up a report on the eclipse and our wedding on Rendezvous Peak:
http://bestsnow.net/TRsFTO/20170821Jack ... dding.html

This TR, my other solar eclipses and some other adventures are now on my website: http://bestsnow.net/TRsFTO/triprpts.htm

This is the beginning of the process of posting some highlight TR's as Patrick has been doing for some time. The demise of the EpicSki Forum last spring was a big wake-up call about backing up one's own content. One of the Epic users brought the HTTrack program to our attention, and that is an automated though time consuming process of extracting desired threads including pictures. Reposting the threads to one's own blog takes some time but is moderately efficient in the HTTrack structure, doable gradually over the long run.

Back