San Rafael Swell Mountain Bike Festival

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
This weekend's camping marked another great year of the San Rafael Swell Mountain Bike Festival with the MECCA Mt. Bike Club of Emery County, Utah. This is the first video for Grand Adventure, a new YouTube channel that I'm launching that will feature RV-centric outdoor travel, activities, gear and more. Check out the video, check out the channel and please subscribe! Next up: a wind noise-canceling mic. :wink:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Il2gGkXq8fc[/youtube]

Marc the vid looks great.
I know a couple of guys that make MTB vids , one guy has almost a half million subscribers..
His big mantra is, tell a story and keep it short. You want them to watch it to the end..Better to have people say they want more , rather then that's too long..

Also they use furry mic covers to kill the wind noise..
https://www.amazon.com/Micover-Stickove ... B006IWYH4Y

"Enterprise" may be too big a term, for there's no monetization at the moment. YouTube requires a modest subscriber base to monetize a channel, and even then the returns are paltry until your subscriber base is quite large. Grand Adventure I'm doing primarily for fun, and as there's a good possibility that I'll be traveling around the Southwest with my RV for the next couple of months until ski season starts, I wanted an outlet for my travel video.

So Grand Adventure is pretty much just a hobby right now. FTO is my enterprise, and I need to resume news publication very shortly now that the days are getting cooler.

Admin":1bavv3g1 said:
Yeah, that fur-covered mic arrives tomorrow.
Suggestions.....
You might consider close-miking your interview subjects - their audio level is really low. Options:
1. wireless mike on the subject
2. boom mike (which implies you might need a sound person)
3. up close with a hand mike - a-la person on the street interview
4. up the levels in post

Also, consider hovering the drone a little above ground level instead of placing the cam on the ground for the stationary rider shots.

Admin":x52j8a69 said:
that fur-covered mic arrives tomorrow.

For anyone randomly reading, (I'll assume Marc knows) that the above item is officially known as a "deadcat" in the video industry. And they work shockingly well. Hope that's a solid quality Rode directional mic you're getting. Audio quality is key for videography. Ironically if you've got a great story and decent audio quality, the video quality is not nearly as critical as you'd think...

Looking forward to seeing more footage.

For the moment, I just picked up a close-range lapel mic with windscreen material. I'll see how that goes first. For the moment, a Rode was out of the question as I've already busted the budget several times over.

The original wasn't too bad, but YouTube's audio normalization algorithm made it far worse. I made another copy and used Audacity to normalize the audio and then I put the audio back in the video, and that sounded a lot better. Unfortunately, the original video was already public and YouTube doesn't allow you to overwrite a video, they create a whole new URL with each upload.

Marc_C":164d13pl said:
Also, consider hovering the drone a little above ground level instead of placing the cam on the ground for the stationary rider shots.

Forgot to mention, that shot (the first one one was from the drone, the second ground-level shot was purposeful and from my phone) was entirely accidental. However, I rather liked the effect so I used it.

Admin":36kj3ja0 said:
The original wasn't too bad, but YouTube's audio normalization algorithm made it far worse. I made another copy and used Audacity to normalize the audio and then I put the audio back in the video, and that sounded a lot better. Unfortunately, the original video was already public and YouTube doesn't allow you to overwrite a video, they create a whole new URL with each upload.
Having never tried putting up a video on YT, I had no idea it does any of that. Like almost any other bit of automation, audio normalization can be good or bad. I can't think of a good reason for not allowing overwrites.

EMSC":29ku0ayx said:
Admin":29ku0ayx said:
that fur-covered mic arrives tomorrow.

For anyone randomly reading, (I'll assume Marc knows) that the above item is officially known as a "deadcat" in the video industry. And they work shockingly well. Hope that's a solid quality Rode directional mic you're getting.

Alright, I found an inexpensive way to "go Rode" for now while still shooting in 4K:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018K ... UTF8&psc=1

And yeah, it comes with a deadcat. We'll see how that works out.

Curious to see how good the audio is from that version. Certainly should be much better than no dedicated microphone at all.

Most I know doing YT that have a Rode use the Rode Videomic Pro. Not crazy expensive, but not cheap for just a mic either...

Back